Discusing Toontrack's Snares - Wich is you favorite / most used?

domingooo

Sep 2, 2010
Hey folks...

I wolud like to read about wich are the most loved snares in toontracks libraries and what kind of sound you usually get from it. ( whichs are your favorities guys?)

(example . Nir z - Avatar - fat 80' rock snare) some like that.

Also, if you use combinations between snares.. please explanined here... if you have a mp3 using it much better

Thanks

I love the Rodgers Wood Snare (S2.0/Avatar). It makes up about 80% of my overall drum tone, however there is a blend of TMF close mics, and ambient mics of the Slingerland in the Avatar library as well. The routing is kind of a nightmare and I can't really remember how I achieved that sound which results in me fucking shit up massively if I try to tweak some things here or there.

I pretty much love all the snares in the Avatar kit (SD2.0), they all sound great and have their uses. Sometimes (but rarely) I blend some of the Avatar snares with eachother, but to be honest I think they sound good on their own most of the time if you know how to process them.

Thank you Guys.... i was liking suprafonic in metal foundry... i think its time yo lear how to blend x drums property.

Emrz i 've told you before.. love that mix ...
Jeff any chance to listen some songs using Evil drums?

Love Black Beauty for a kinda fatter sound and Rogers Wood for a kinda drier sound... don't really know how to explain. Gotta try using the Nir Z more, I just never got it to sound as good as those two.

Actually, come to think of it, the Rogers Wood is keying the room track on this one (but not actually being used direct):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obws3h3Cqw8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Same deal going on here, except the Rogers is actually being used subtly in the snare mix:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIAocwbXx24&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Sorry for all the links - the clips just illustrate the effect best.

No need to apologize :)

Btw, did you 'steal' that keying-room-with-sample-not-used-in-a-mix trick from Andy Wallace? First time I heard about it was in some article/internet info about him.

Actually, come to think of it, the Rogers Wood is keying the room track on this one (but not actually being used direct):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obws3h3Cqw8&feature=player_embedded

Same deal going on here, except the Rogers is actually being used subtly in the snare mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIAocwbXx24&feature=player_embedded

Sorry for all the links - the clips just illustrate the effect best.

thouse are serius kick ass snares...
so if i 'm undestanding... you use avatar snares for room soun right? and maybe a bleen between the real snare and a sample

killer vids thaks!

so... no one choose any ezx snare over avatars or evil drums?
any usable snare in metak foundry?

Really gotta try Evil Drums and Andy's Metal Machine. I hate Metal Foundry. I generally prefer my recorded drums to any of the tones I've heard in that. I don't see the point of augmenting drums with other 'normal' drums... to me it defeats the point. When I sample, I want silicon-implant drum sounds, to augment the stuff that's natural underneath. Augmenting shit with hat bleed, with other shit that has no hat bleed doesn't really mean much, because one can just sample their recorded snares and use that for the purpose - thus staying more unique... dunno, just never 'got' that pack at all.

@Uros: It's not really the Andy Wallace thing. He uses samples to send to verbs, in order to get more desirable spectral characteristics from the verbs than you'd get from raw drums. I use the actual room sample of a particular snare, in a room, but sometimes without using the actual snare itself within the mix. It's sorta the same thing... but not really.

@domingooo: Yep, pretty much.

Thread resurrection. I am interested if some of you guys have used toms in Avatar or some other SDX/EZX library to key room tracks, and if so - to what effect?

at last some love for the evil drums! my friend has it and i really liked it. looking fwd to buying it..

I really like the whole Evil Drums glamouflage kit, that Noble & Cooley snare in the Sound City room is great.