Discussion on the new Album:"Stand up and Fight"

So the tour starts without an officially released album. I am hoping that there will be merchendise and albums for sale on tour - and if that's the case, then I hope they bring a lot of albums to last the entire tour.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

then I hope they bring a lot of albums to last the entire tour.

keep in mind also Turisas have limited capacities whilst travelling when it comes to merchandise...they can´t fill a complete plane with there stuff ;))
But I am sure there will be enough :D

Apparently the album is made up of these songs (very tentative and in no order):

Venetoi! - Prasinoi! (3:49)
Stand Up and Fight (5:27)
Hunting Pirates (3:43)
The Great Escape (4:51)
The March of the Varangian Guard (3:51)
Fear the Fear (6:14)
The Bosphorus Freezes Over (5:37)
Take the Day! (5:26)
End of an Empire (7:16)

These are taken from the scrobbles of a reviewer from last.fm.

i "love" it when ppl. who have early "access" to music can´t wait until the band themselves announces such stuff >.<

Hey, there's a new splash page+tune download at www.turisas.com! The title track -- the gods have granted a mighty gift this Christmas!

I like the tune at first listen. Mathias' vox sounds great; some interesting cross rhthyms, etc... makes me hungry for the new album.

damn..it will be available in america till March! grrr ill try to get the european ¬¬ also i had problems with CM distro in the past :(

I've played the song "Stand up and Fight" multiple times already, and I already love it. I started looking forward to it even more after reading and interview with Mathias and he was talking about the progression they were going for on this album, and you can definitely hear it in this song. This being available today has simply made my weekend.

It is a bittersweet Yule-tide treat as now I am waiting even more anxiously to hear the whole album. I'm going to have to find a way to get the album the same time as you lucky Europeans do.

It's so catchy! :hotjump:
New costumes! ..But Mathias gave his shoulderpad to Hanu? : D
And Hunting Pirates... Now you guys REALLY should have Alestorm as your support band for a tour! Imagine the sillying around on stage..

Man, I really like "Stand up and fight". I'm really curious to see how it will work in a live environment. That is the one downside about lots of additional instruments. But we'll see.

Also, the two songs I've heard now hardly have any grunts so I hope some songs are a bit more in that direction. Not that this is bad. On the contrary. Just personal preference.

What do people think about Mathias' announcement the album will contain "stadium rock" stuff, full strings sections and whatever? I personally don't care -- bands can do what they want, and we as fans can either like it or not. Think they'll be accused of "selling out"? Id say no because the big epic orchestral bombast is part of the schtick. What do you think?

I think the new songs are definitely more calm and melodic than before, especially compared to the Battle Metal album. I think the Varangian Way, but also Rasputin and Supernaut indeed paved the way to this new sound, so it's not much of a surprise.

On one hand I really like the change/evolution, because I usually listen to music when I'm a bit tired, so these kind of songs are easier to listen to. On the other hand, I wouldn't be a metalhead if I didn't like the rough stuff, so like Kilon, I hope there are still some heavier songs on the new album as well.

What do people think about Mathias' announcement the album will contain "stadium rock" stuff, full strings sections and whatever? I personally don't care -- bands can do what they want, and we as fans can either like it or not. Think they'll be accused of "selling out"? Id say no because the big epic orchestral bombast is part of the schtick. What do you think?

I think there shouldn´t be too much speculations about how it sounds just because of what is said, everyone understands a different sound under e.g. "stadium rock" and all this, so...

Also, I do not think that anyone will accuse them of "selling out" when having listened to the record properly.

I think there shouldn´t be too much speculations about how it sounds just because of what is said, everyone understands a different sound under e.g. "stadium rock" and all this, so...

Also, I do not think that anyone will accuse them of "selling out" when having listened to the record properly.

Good points Cari, but "Stand up and fight" does to my ears have a different sort of feel than the previous records (although as you ob serve, it's one song, and one can't judge an album from a song). A good feel that represents a very accomplished band moving forward -- but it's simply a statement of fact that generally speaking some fans (no matter the band) want their favorite album reprised ad nausuem.

Good points Cari, but "Stand up and fight" does to my ears have a different sort of feel than the previous records (although as you ob serve, it's one song, and one can't judge an album from a song). A good feel that represents a very accomplished band moving forward -- but it's simply a statement of fact that generally speaking some fans (no matter the band) want their favorite album reprised ad nausuem.

yeah it indeed has a different feeling, that´s true, when I heard the song first I had the same thing coming to my mind like "wow, different feeling...but good...".

Sure, not all fans will be pleased, I am pretty sure about it, but at the same time most ones will find something to like on the album...