Distorted Vox

nergal_S

St. Anger around my neck.
Nov 20, 2002
Los Angles
Visit site
Hello, i am starting my first band, and i have been playing guitar for a good 8 years now, my drums player is preat tight, and we have not found a bass player yeat. HOw ever i was wondering how do most death metal band get distorted vox? what fx do they use? What are you supsto do with the floor monitors?

Death bands typically don't use any effects on the voice at all, except maybe for some reverb. Death grunts is a way of singing - a technique that has to be learned.

It's different with industrial bands - they tend to use distortion on clean vocals instead of death grunts, but the sound is very different from death metal.

Floor monitors? You won't need to deal with those until you're playing larger venues. They are there to distibrute the sounds so everyone can hear each other play (so that guitarist 1 can hear what guitarist 2 is doing for instance).

/Sun'

Yep as Sunbane said most bands don't use any effects at all, I use growls ala Nile, Cannibal (clean also) and don't use any effects at all. You should learn how to do the growls the ''right'' way so you don't hurt your vocal chords doing it.

Originally posted by nergal_S
Were can i learn the right way to do growls??

It's hard to explain through the internet but i'll do my best. It all depends on your physical ability and how much your vocal chords can take. Are you the one that wants to do the growls? or you want to look for a vocalist and show him how to do growls? anyway if you can do a decent type of growls or if you have the idea of how to do them you need to learn when to stop growling or how to control your voice so you won't hurt your vocal chords doing it, at first it may hurt a little or you may feel a little (let's see how I put it) ''muddy'' feeling in your throat but if the hurting continues you need to figure out what's wrong and correct the problem. If you're going to alternate between growls and clean vocals you may need to do a little ''coughing'' sometimes to be able to alternate the two. If you're going to use clean vocals also i'll put 2 websites that can help you learn how to control the breathing so you won't get hurt doing the vocals.

http://medlem.spray.se/thesingingrealm/

http://www.freevoicelessons.com/

Oh and btw if you can record your vocals (or your singers vocals) you can put them up here and I'll let you know what I think of them. Check these bands out, it'll help you on the learning process

Cannibal Corpse, Nile, First Darkane CD (Rusted Angel), early Death, Opeth.

hope that helps you a little :headbang:

Oh and btw something I forgott.

If this is your first time growling don't start growling like Karl Sanders right away (in other words don't try to do it right away) start slowly 'till you get the idea of how to do the growl then start practicing more and more (try to portray a monster)the less you use your vocal chords the better, the growl should come as a low ''full'' monster type of sound not like a scream from hell. I just saw a thread that Soultorn took part of (great advices btw :headbang: ) this should help you a lot how to get the idea of the thing.

Click here

you can find here how to do them the ''proper'' way, there are a few tips on how to do black metal style vocals also.

Drink water it helps :D

Thanks alot man! When Gorge Fisher or Chris Barns sang for Cannibal Corpse they got some very deep sounding Growls, i thought for shure they must use some FX, when they Growl on the mike is there growl very low in volume and they make it alot louder throught the PA, or is it a scream growl? In my band there is no clean vocals, and if i can find a singer it will be very good, but so far i cant and there are alot of gigs we missed because of no singer so i thought i should go ahead and do it. I dont have any way to record my voice right away, but i will be able to do it at my band mates house. Thank you very much for the help!