Do any of you have a clip of electric guitar close mic'd?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I'm looking for clips of electric guitar being played without amplification, just so I can hear how it should sound, what normal stringnoise is, etc.

I'm not a good player.. I should be, though.. been playing for over a decade..
I've had some personal issues so I haven't really practiced nor played for a long time..

We all know how a distorted guitar sounds, but now as I'm practicing, playing slooowly, I'm wondering what acceptable noise is..

I haven't had an issue with my own recordings, but maybe they could be better, and also they're mostly distorted..

Hope you understand what I'm asking..
Could be interesting for people to hear what a good player sounds like without effects..

this and the videos of the other songs might give you an idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgVuVhS-9O8

Still worth to mention though that in the end is has to sound fine through an amp...so if you practice unplugged and then it doesn't translate well its kind of a waste of time.
You actually hear unwanted noise better through distortion, as it amplifies the signal so much.

Wouldn't a well played, unedited DI be more
useful?

Might very well be :)
I know there's tons of DI's floating around here, but you never know how edited they are..

Still worth to mention though that in the end is has to sound fine through an amp...so if you practice unplugged and then it doesn't translate well its kind of a waste of time.
You actually hear unwanted noise better through distortion, as it amplifies the signal so much.

Thanks!
Oh yeah, it definitely has to translate well, but I find distortion to be a bit forgiving sometimes..

OT:
I know some people tune at every chord, and quantize the shit out of the track, I don't do either..

Like I said earlier I'm a so-so player, more problems with having budget stuff.
I wanna start recording again and just want to sort of set things straight on how good it should sound and what's acceptable..
Not that the public knows, but, still.. might as well do it as good as I can..
I can intonate the guitar at least, I hope works..
The weather is hot and moist and will probably fuck it all up :D

this and the videos of the other songs might give you an idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgVuVhS-9O8

Damn, all that downstroking!! Dudes a beast!

different strings, picks, action, hand technique, wood etc. all change how it sounds, even when unplugged without any amplification. I guarantee you won't find out anything you didn't know by listening to a close mic of someone playing unplugged. A good DI will be immensely more helpful. Check out Ola's DI's, the Rose Of Sharyn Di's etc. Not so much tonally, but for the guitar technique, string noise and attack. A lot of dudes use a fret wrap to silence unnecessary strings while recording though