How do I get this bass guitar sound?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
If you've heard Darkwater's "Calling the Earth to Witness" album, the mix itself is pretty sterile and bleh to me but it has a killer bass tone, one that I'd like to imitate for my band's EP.
http://www.myspace.com/darkwaterofficial
That has the bass without guitar (straight after the acoustic guitar intro) for more clarity but I don't think its ever solo'd. Myspace doesnt have the best sound quality though, but you get the idea.
I'm running into a PODx3Live so I have 2 tones, I'm using one for the lowend, a preset, and then another with a guitar amp and bass cab for the highend, but its not getting the results I want...too distorted without any crispness.

Tips? If anyone has Gearbox or a POD and could help that'd be good, or even suggest real amps that I might be able to model to achieve this sound.

It's pretty common to record a bass direct and through an amp, then in the software add distortion to one of them or copy of one.

I'm not hearing much distortion on that bass.

A lot of the sound comes from the bass and bassist.
What have you got?

Hi
The bass is recorded on 2 channels:
Chan1: Sansamp w SVT settings thru ssl 2buscompressor (hardware)
Chan2: Ampeg stuff - SVT PRO3 w Ampeg Cabinet 4x10 miced w a AKG414 +Electrovoice RE 20 both thru Vintage Design DMP-1

The Line signal was delayed 1ms

More bass to the people!!!!

Hope this will help
/Poumg

A lot of the tone is down to the bass guitar its self I find .
A nice through neck bass made from maple and mahogany and well positioned pups before I even tackle amp sounds.
I think your right to be using the ampeg ,I can hear some trademark svt husky valve colour going on it also sounds like very little highend above 800 hz