how to get a professional guitar sound

about the clipping you said. Did you try to increase the buffer in the Asio-Driver settings? Is your computer powerfull enough?
I too have this problem sometimes, but only if my computer is really busy.

Thank you all.

Clip happens in the hardware, there's a lot of reports in web, actually you can put the gain at minimum level and always led becomes red (i don't have active pickups in guitars but my bass has).

My pc:W8 + i7 + 16 gB RAM.

Clip happens in the hardware, there's a lot of reports in web, actually you can put the gain at minimum level and always led becomes red (i don't have active pickups in guitars but my bass has).

My pc:W8 + i7 + 16 gB RAM.

Damn, your pc is quite a beast. :worship:
I'm usually recording on my notebook (2,4 ghz x 2, 4 gb RAM). I only notice clipping when I'm doing other things on the notebook and leave the DAW in the background. I didn't notice any hardware related clipping nor are the leds blinking red.

Btw, I've recorded a small "bass" sample. like I mentioned before.
its my guitar, downpitched, EQed n stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywa2iosn9b48l5y/Bass - Sample.mp3?dl=0

Once you are using a good guitar, amp, cab and have the mic in the right place it is 100% down to the player.
Many times in the studio, I will be getting ready to track guitar for a band and the guitar sounds dull, phasey, lifeless.
I actually have a procedure for checking this so the guitarist doesn't know what I am doing.
I ask for the guitar to do a final string stretch and tune up then play a few chords and chugs.
9 times out of 10 the sound leaps out of the amp when I play it.
This leaves 2 options.
Tell him he needs play harder and clearer or accept that his sound will be less than perfect.
I will go with option A, unless I think that will grind the session to a halt, usually judged on how nervous he is and whether he will loose confidence.
For example, I recently reamped guitars for the new Bleed from Within EP.
When I ran the DI tracks into the amp, the sound leaped out of the amp the way you expect a pro touring band to sound.
A weekend warrior guitarists into exactly the same rig would sound nothing like that.

Short version: Play hard and accurately and don't bend strings when playing chords for a pro sound.

I anticipate my mixes will improve significantly when I get an evertune bridge. Or should I say, I expect my mixes will get to a completed state significantly faster and with less stress. Small tuning discrepancies are not only the biggest issue I have but also the most time consuming during tracking. I could probably track bands at least 1/3 faster if I didn't have to worry about it.

Evertune for bass will be the biggest godsend in recent memory.

Once you are using a good guitar, amp, cab and have the mic in the right place it is 100% down to the player.
Many times in the studio, I will be getting ready to track guitar for a band and the guitar sounds dull, phasey, lifeless.
I actually have a procedure for checking this so the guitarist doesn't know what I am doing.
I ask for the guitar to do a final string stretch and tune up then play a few chords and chugs.
9 times out of 10 the sound leaps out of the amp when I play it.
This leaves 2 options.
Tell him he needs play harder and clearer or accept that his sound will be less than perfect.
I will go with option A, unless I think that will grind the session to a halt, usually judged on how nervous he is and whether he will loose confidence.
For example, I recently reamped guitars for the new Bleed from Within EP.
When I ran the DI tracks into the amp, the sound leaped out of the amp the way you expect a pro touring band to sound.
A weekend warrior guitarists into exactly the same rig would sound nothing like that.

Short version: Play hard and accurately and don't bend strings when playing chords for a pro sound.

So true, all of this.

a bit late,
but here is the In Flames cover I promised a while ago :)

the clean parts suck a bit, I actually never really learned how to play the acoustic guitar. I started with distorted guitars right away. :(

This time, I quad-tracked the guitars, used less compression and
subtracted several frequencies. Again, a light improvement soundwise is hearable. But still, I'm lightyears away from getting a really low and grinding sound, like some djent bands have.

Btw, I tried a very cheap/plain DI-BOX inbetween my pod and scarlett 2i2 interface. sadly, I didn't hear any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that your problem lies in the guitars in that particular cover. The drums aren't up to par with anything else on the track as it misses all of the foundation solid drums bring to a mix.

Btw, either the chorus on the clean guitars makes them sound really out of tune OR they in fact are out of tune. :lol: