How to get that professional DEEP sound?

Can I just get back to a post earlier

Sneap suggested mixing with a sub....

How does:

1. This equate to listening to a mix back on 4" cones yet still hearing the depth.. is this a mystery magic thing that suggests that I just buy a sub and not ask how it works -it just does, and I hate it being like that I like to know how stuff works, otherwise I just quit this and become a drummer.

2. I thought much of sub stuff, ie 60hz maybe less equates to bullshit to our ears and is best avoided.

3. I also thought a lot of bass was in the mids 200hz for example, yet many suggest I cut these frequencies, dont get me wrong I like it but as the orignal poster suggests, you go and reference a mix and.. its not the same, if anything I tent to find my mixes are WAY bass heavy -this is of course not that it is bass heavy, its just they mix the bass in better - pro mixes still have a lot of bass.

ps.. I know 3 relates to another thread i did but it sorta cropped up here with the sub stuff, and cutting out 200-500hz areas can help, I just trying to work out what BASS really is in a pro mix.

ps.. I know 3 relates to another thread i did but it sorta cropped up here with the sub stuff, and cutting out 200-500hz areas can help, I just trying to work out what BASS really is in a pro mix.

PM me if you're interested in analyzing a few clips I've got.

I noticed with Nuendo you get a much better low mid tightness and control as well as a better, more even spread of 3rd order harmonics when it's needed across the mix

How do you produce these 3rd order harmonics? when I want cool effects i'll just make a couple of ad/da runs and run some amplifier heads throught the inputs of the soundcard anyone else using this technique?

Of some reason it tends to break the inputs... but you just have to do what has to be done....:zombie:

1259068371305.jpg

from most of the best mixes Ive heard (other more experienced people) depth doesnt really swell up in the mix unless everything else is built upon it ,I.E inspired decisions are made early concerning things like Bass guitar and kick .
Ive tried to add depth near to ends of sessions but they never sounded as good as sessions that had it to begin with. Im still looking for that holy grail bench mark BTW.
Interested in what guys think on here about Sneaps sub monitor suggestion ...im wondering how frequency and volume influencing mixing transposes once these sessions are played back through your average stereo . If the frequencies are there to begin with and the sub speaker makes them louder doesnt this mean you end up mixing them EQ ing them quieter ???

You could try just to make the bass sound more solid against the rest of the mix instead of being sucked into this idea that there is a magic deepness to a great mix. You want it to be deep but half of that is the tuning , I think bass sounds best dry but this doesnt mean I like dry sounding mixes and there's a lot of people who think that almost totally dry is the best way but I quite like a little bit of ambiance on almost everything else going on in the mix even if its hardly noticeable . Im not talking about my own work obviously I listen to loads of work being posted on here and notice the way the best stuff has plenty of reverbs all over the place except the bass I think this may be one of those times where the bass frequencies cut through based on dry separation . (it doesnt get out of control and swamp everything )
Also good stereo room emulations do interesting things to low frequencies of guitars ,drums, vocals and the mix.
Does any one know of any cool links to usage of reverbs in mixing for a heavy production or is this like trying to enter the magic circle ?