How to get that "wide" overall sound like on pro recordings?

Laozen

Nov 19, 2009
Finland
I have panned my guitars 90%, done wide pan to drums and used stereo reverbs. Also checked balance, frequency curve and everything sounds good, but I´m still missing that wide sound. When compared to pro recordings, mine sounds like mono :/ Is that sound coming from hardware prosessors? I can´t afford them so I´m using only plugins, mainly free. I think that especially guitars are my problem. What do you do to your mixes to make it sound bigger and more wide? Thanks for your replies!

The illusion of width comes from having different sound in the left and right channels - the more difference between the two channels, the "wider" the stereo image will feel.

Try experimenting with more stereo processing/mixing, stereo recording techniques, spacing mic pairs wider, etc.

I've been thinking on that several times. The only answer i got is "everything is in eq". And it seem to be quite right. Reverbs, etc. are effects which could help create "wide feel", but eq and compression (so basic tools then) are way to go here.
I'd like to hear other opinions if i'm right ;)

Dave Pensado offers some amazing advice for widening and clearing out space in a mix, check out his youtube page I think it's like ITL #8 or something.

Creating space in the mix via EQ, compression & panning first. Reverbs, choruses and wideners secondary. Subtle differences between left and right channels (analogue processing, unlinked compression, console saturation) tertiary.

I have panned my guitars 90%, done wide pan to drums and used stereo reverbs. Also checked balance, frequency curve and everything sounds good, but I´m still missing that wide sound. When compared to pro recordings, mine sounds like mono :/ Is that sound coming from hardware prosessors? I can´t afford them so I´m using only plugins, mainly free. I think that especially guitars are my problem. What do you do to your mixes to make it sound bigger and more wide? Thanks for your replies!

If yours sounds like mono compared to other mixes, maybe you're having phase issues?

But we wont be able to help you further unless you post a mix for us.

The stereo width sounds just fine for me !

Some ideas that come to my mind :
- turn the overheads 1 or 2 dB down (and automate up during crash cymbal hits if needed)
- turn the bass like 1 dB down
- use more filtering (high/lowpassing) on the verb to focus it in the mids
- turn off the verb send on the overheads, or set it much lower (it eats up a lot of space in the high end !).
- maybe use lighter settings on your C4, since you're taking away most of the meat from the palm mutes...

This will give more space for the rhythm guitars to live, which seems to be what your client's asking for. Also, did you double-track those clean arpeggios ? It could help widening the whole picture a bit :)

Hey Laozen! Just listened to your mix. I hope i can help you with my advice i´m gonna give you in a sec, cuz i had almost the same "issue" you have right now a while ago.
There is abolsutely nothing wring with your stereo paning, i.e. it doesnt sound mono! So that issue is solved. But, i would start out by getting a more solid, "glued-together" drum sound, since i have the feeling you kick drum and bassguitar are batteling each other. Try a HPF 12db/oct by 62hz, that should give the kick more room to breathe, since bass only goes down to 62 hz. btw, your kick is dominating alot, so turn that down a bit. So, to your guitars.... What amp did you use, and what cabinet? and how many mics? I hear that your guitars have a lack of body that is missing, the low-end rumble as many would say. Try a HPF at around 60-70Hz, bosst a bit at 85hz, a little boost at 1-1.5 kHz, and maybe also a LPF to get rid of some high end "fizz", if needed, ofcourse... This is not a guideline for you, just some personal tips of mine and how i work my guitars in the mix. If you recorded with 2 Mics, or double-tracked guitars, you could pan the guitars differently for a more "wall of guitar" sound, i.e.: Pan-Left: <100 & <80/75 Pan-right: 80/75> & 100> That should give you a nice wall of guitars. You can also try EQ´ing the individual guitar tracks differently. In the end, its all just about fooling around and trying alot of stuff out. Remember,...There are no rules in the world of audio ;-)
Hope that i could help you out!
Greetz

I just did a test the other day with using two different tones on the left and right guitars. I wanted to see how it compared to two of the same tones on the left and right.

I used a ts9 on one side and then a 808 on the other. So very small difference in tone and it was amazing how much wider they felt just from that. So play around with that and see if you like it. Also real amps seem to be wider sounding than guitars with Pod Farm. Just did a bunch of a/b test the other day with all this.

About a week ago I accidentally left an EQ on the right guitar after I bypassed the EQ on the left guitar. I immediately noticed the width was incredible, and then realized what I had done haha