how to get a professional guitar sound

soverin

NOPE NOPE NOPE
Oct 17, 2014
I've been recording my stuff since 2009 and my sound gets progressively better. But I am still far away from gettin a professional sound.

My guitarsound is still thin and has too much hights. It doesn't matter how much bass I throw in.

If I add a low pass filter, my guitars will lose presence.
I know some hobby-recorders whose sounds just kill. Massive lows, punches right in the face. How the f* do they archive this?
Im really struggling.

Here is my lastest recording as a reference:

The Rig I used for this:

Ibanez RGA42T
POD HD500
Reaper as DAW
Bass = Guitar, downpitched a octave and POD HD500 bass preset
Addictive Drums 2 (w/ some other samples)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (interface)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if you mean "no matter how much bass i throw in" as in like, turning up the bass knob on the amp or "no matter how much bass *guitar* I add".

Concentrate on the bass and getting it to work in unison with the guitars. There should be a sort of pocket in the guitar frequencies that the bass will fill and give the low end punch you're looking for. Guitars without bass in a mix should indeed sound a bit weak, it's all about the interplay between them.

I usually go for the huge guitar sound - as close to the final product as possible with the least pregain possible - and then make 2-4 adjustments in an EQ (a high pass and a low pass always, then depending on how it sounds, i will cut around anywhere from 200-500hz and/or the "deathsaw" frequency around 3-4k where my ears get raped when doing a frequency sweep) Totally different for other people keep in mind, it's what works for me.

Multiband compression on the low-mids of guitars is your friend.

Aggressively high passing can clean up the mix for the bass to have room without losing much from the guitars (sometimes all the way up to 150hz depending)

Less is more, go for the best sound you can with the least moves possible; as i'm sure you know, distorted guitars hate processing.

You need:

1. Good guitarplayer, its all in your hands.
2. Good guitarhead. 5150, 5153, Rectifier, Engl Whatever flavor you like.
3. Quality Cab, i prefer mesa boogie
4. Sm57, i prefer to have it slightly off axis.
5. Use modest settings on the amp. Bass 4-5 , Mids 2-4 , Treble 4-6 and Gain 3-5. Nothing extreme.

It's quite easy to get a good guitar sound. I did this small test to try out a new mic combo. Sm57 and Neumann km84. Took me about 2min to set up the mic's and dial in the amp:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54darv6e5f9mahi/sm57 and km84.mp3?dl=0

You need:

1. Good guitarplayer, its all in your hands.
2. Good guitarhead. 5150, 5153, Rectifier, Engl Whatever flavor you like.
3. Quality Cab, i prefer mesa boogie
4. Sm57, i prefer to have it slightly off axis.
5. Use modest settings on the amp. Bass 4-5 , Mids 2-4 , Treble 4-6 and Gain 3-5. Nothing extreme.

It's quite easy to get a good guitar sound. I did this small test to try out a new mic combo. Sm57 and Neumann km84. Took me about 2min to set up the mic's and dial in the amp:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54darv6e5f9mahi/sm57 and km84.mp3?dl=0

Off topic: Loving the snare! Any info on that? Thanks

thank you guys.
@fluffbot:

With bass I mean bass from the bass guitar.
I want the bass be there but subtle as possible.

Thank you for the tips, I'll try them out.

@crillemannen
to be honest.
this would be extremely expensive for me.
Its possible to achieve a good sound without spending a ton of money.

Check this guy out for example:
https://soundcloud.com/thisissparta
He mostly uses Peavey Revalver in his recordings.

@genius gone insane
at the end of the year, we're going to record a new album at the studio from the bassist of necrophagist.
I hope he shows me some tricks.

@pharaos curse
yes there is
I suppose this is bad?

I've been recording my stuff since 2009 and my sound gets progressively better. But I am still far away from gettin a professional sound.

My guitarsound is still thin and has too much hights. It doesn't matter how much bass I throw in.

If I add a low pass filter, my guitars will lose presence.
I know some hobby-recorders whose sounds just kill. Massive lows, punches right in the face. How the f* do they archive this?
I'm really struggling.

Here is my latest recording as a reference:

The Rig I used for this:

Ibanez RGA42T
POD HD500
Reaper as DAW

Sounds good.
Not sure if the pod is the only thing you're using but having a real amp with speakers that move air, even blended in can help with thicker/fuller tone if your less than happy with the sound you're getting from the pod/sim alone and can afford the expense.

Check this guy out for example:
https://soundcloud.com/thisissparta
He mostly uses Peavey Revalver in his recordings.
I like your tone better.

Besides that.. here's some links about guitar sound

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

Recording Drop Tuned Guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlN4A1dfkos
‪Tim Pierce - Session Guitarist - On Amps Pedals And Gear - Getting Tone On A Budget ‬https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqiQx-2L6pc
gl

from my experience you can get way better sounds when using just the Pod HD's amp models and then using impulses for the cab sound. I would start with that and see if you get better results. You are also using too much compression. That said, I think your clip you posted sounded good.

Try to get some info on necrofagist op and report back.

ok, will do.

@waltz mastering
damn, thats a read.
why didn't I stumbled upon it earlier.
thanks

I've been recording my stuff with boards for years and started with a Boss Me-25. Last year I've bought me that POD
The main advantage for me is recording at any daytime. My nightbours would kill me, if I recorded my stuff with a Amp/Cab combo.
I know there are better digital proccessors like the ax fx and kamper but damn, I'm still an apprentice.

from my experience you can get way better sounds when using just the Pod HD's amp models and then using impulses for the cab sound. I would start with that and see if you get better results. You are also using too much compression. That said, I think your clip you posted sounded good.

I used ola's randall cab implses on my earlier recordings, about a year ago I think.

Hey man, I don't think your guitar tone sounds too bad to be honest. If anything I'd go for more highs to get a bit more clarity.

A big part of getting a huge guitar sound is actually having a big bass tone, so I'd invest in a real bass rather than a pitch shifted guitar, then you can get away from the "subtle as possible" method of mixing and use it as an integral part of your guitar sound.

I'm sure plenty will argue, but IMO there's two things in your rig that will never sound good.

--> POD HD500
--> Bass = Guitar, downpitched a octave and POD HD500 bass preset

Yeah that "subtle as possible" method for bass doesn't result in a big, nice sounding guitar tone IMO. I want the bass to be clanking and booming away, and when you mute it, the mix should sound empty and thin; that's how you know the bass is doing its job!

I'm sure plenty will argue, but IMO there's two things in your rig that will never sound good.

--> POD HD500

Aw come on now there is nothing wrong with the hd500.

I would say the weakest link with the pod are it's cab sims, definitely would use impulses as a free alternative if money is a concern and a real cab/power amp are not an option.

Pitch shifted guitar for bass is a no go though, would even take something like zombass over that any day of the week.

Tip:

I have a Scarlett 2i2. After I bought it, I was very upset with that clipping issue on the "instrument" input, in fact, I had to plug my guitar using "line" input.

I was using that set up, always thinking about that dull, lifeless and thin sound getting out of my recordings (I've used TSE X50 2.3).

One day, just before I was thinking to get another interface, I did a quick research in google about that clipping problem and I found a solution based on a DI-box connection.

I went to my audio store, i bought a DI-Box, a XLR cable and problem solved!

Now I'm happy with my tone and I've got really good results.

I'll post a few audio clips later.

Cheers

I have an HD Pro and I've spent hours trying to get a workable rhythm guitar tone. I gave up. Just buy the TSE X50 or Revalver or even Bias and be done with it. You can still use the HD as an interface obviously, and for cleans, leads, and low-gain tones, but I can pick out the weird characteristics of the HD on high-gain rhythm guitars in any mix. If you don't have the cash on hand, at least use an impulse response instead of the god-awful POD cabs.

Don't use any compression on your guitars other than gentle low-mids multiband compression, and 9/10 times you shouldn't even need that. If you're using the red compressor in the POD, toss it. That thing introduces a lot of harsh, weird high-end that you don't want or need. For EQ, high-pass from about 60 hz to 100 hz, cut a wide bell about 2 db at 300 hz, and boost .5-1.5 db somewhere from 1400-1800 hz. The former gets rid of mud and the latter will bring some clarity to it. If it still sounds muffled, try a moderately narrow bell 2-4 db in the 5000 hz range.

Buy a used Squier Jazz Bass for $150 to use for your bass tracks. The pitch-shifted guitar thing is never going to work. Bass is the most frustrating part of any mix for me personally, but you need a real bass nonetheless.

Other things: use less compression, play with the amount of room tone in your Addictive Drums plugin to tighten the drums up (and if you have extra cash, drop it and get EZDrummer- Addictive Drums is pretty terrible, sorry to say), try out different libraries/mics/styles of impulses, and bear in mind that mastering is a more substantial part of a professional-sounding mix than you might think. All these things are going to give your guitar more variation, breathing room, and fullness.

Here it is, Scarlett 2i2 soundtest

Guitar Test without DI

Guitar Test with DI

Guitar Test in mix without DI

Guitar Test in mix with DI

Song:
  • Ihsahn - Scarab

Gear:
  • Scarlett 2i2
  • Behringer DI600P
  • Guitar: Ibanez RG870QMZ + DiMarzio Steve's Special Neck
  • Bass: SDGR 5 Strings
  • Drums: SD 2 The Metal Foundry Multitrack mixed
  • Plugins: Mostly Waves + NI Supercharger (Parallel compression on Snare, Kick and Drumbus)

Guitar Processing Chain:
  • Guitar Bus Stereo (Double track)
  • TSE X50 2.3
  • Waves REQ6 (HP 60 Hz; -2db at 600 Hz; LP 11 kHz)
  • Waves C4 (60 Hz to 250 Hz)
  • Izotope Imager (Mid range opener preset)

Hey man, I don't think your guitar tone sounds too bad to be honest. If anything I'd go for more highs to get a bit more clarity.

A big part of getting a huge guitar sound is actually having a big bass tone, so I'd invest in a real bass rather than a pitch shifted guitar, then you can get away from the "subtle as possible" method of mixing and use it as an integral part of your guitar sound.

That is one of my problems. I want clarity and presence, but there is a small frequency section (between 4khz and 7khz, don't know exactly atm), which makes the guitar really shrill and piercing. If I take out some of the frequencies, I lose presence.

six feet under's lastest album has a killer tone.
crystal clear but huge and distorted. thats how I want to sound someday.
does anyone know what rig they used?

--> POD HD500

I don't think my POD is the problem, it does its job quite well. It only lacks from decent cab impulses and dsp power.
OK, bass. Can't argue with that, but i'll upload a bass sample tomorrow.

Yeah that "subtle as possible" method for bass doesn't result in a big, nice sounding guitar tone IMO. I want the bass to be clanking and booming away, and when you mute it, the mix should sound empty and thin; that's how you know the bass is doing its job!

You're right, but sometimes the bass seems like a bit misplaced. If its too loud.

Aw come on now there is nothing wrong with the hd500.

I would say the weakest link with the pod are it's cab sims, definitely would use impulses as a free alternative if money is a concern and a real cab/power amp are not an option.

Pitch shifted guitar for bass is a no go though, would even take something like zombass over that any day of the week.

I'll upload a bass sample later. If it really sounds crappy to you guys,
I probablly have to my buy one on christmas. :Smug:

Tip:

I have a Scarlett 2i2. After I bought it, I was very upset with that clipping issue on the "instrument" input, in fact, I had to plug my guitar using "line" input.

I was using that set up, always thinking about that dull, lifeless and thin sound getting out of my recordings (I've used TSE X50 2.3).

One day, just before I was thinking to get another interface, I did a quick research in google about that clipping problem and I found a solution based on a DI-box connection.

I went to my audio store, i bought a DI-Box, a XLR cable and problem solved!

Now I'm happy with my tone and I've got really good results.

I'll post a few audio clips later.

Cheers

Really?
I too was disappointed at first and was really about to send it back. But I somehow managed to get a "good" sound out of it and kept it.

I have an HD Pro and I've spent hours trying to get a workable rhythm guitar tone. I gave up. Just buy the TSE X50 or Revalver or even Bias and be done with it. You can still use the HD as an interface obviously, and for cleans, leads, and low-gain tones, but I can pick out the weird characteristics of the HD on high-gain rhythm guitars in any mix. If you don't have the cash on hand, at least use an impulse response instead of the god-awful POD cabs.

Don't use any compression on your guitars other than gentle low-mids multiband compression, and 9/10 times you shouldn't even need that. If you're using the red compressor in the POD, toss it. That thing introduces a lot of harsh, weird high-end that you don't want or need. For EQ, high-pass from about 60 hz to 100 hz, cut a wide bell about 2 db at 300 hz, and boost .5-1.5 db somewhere from 1400-1800 hz. The former gets rid of mud and the latter will bring some clarity to it. If it still sounds muffled, try a moderately narrow bell 2-4 db in the 5000 hz range.

Buy a used Squier Jazz Bass for $150 to use for your bass tracks. The pitch-shifted guitar thing is never going to work. Bass is the most frustrating part of any mix for me personally, but you need a real bass nonetheless.

Other things: use less compression, play with the amount of room tone in your Addictive Drums plugin to tighten the drums up (and if you have extra cash, drop it and get EZDrummer- Addictive Drums is pretty terrible, sorry to say), try out different libraries/mics/styles of impulses, and bear in mind that mastering is a more substantial part of a professional-sounding mix than you might think. All these things are going to give your guitar more variation, breathing room, and fullness.

thank you, I'll definitely try these EQ settings out.

I just looked at my project. I really do use too much compression. Because I mostly dont know what I'm doing and just go for the "it-sounds-right-to-me" settings.

I'm really statisfied with Addictive Drums. Its suits my needs well. I don't have any problems with that.

Here it is, Scarlett 2i2 soundtest

Guitar Test without DI

Guitar Test with DI

Guitar Test in mix without DI

Guitar Test in mix with DI

Song:
  • Ihsanh - Scarab

Gear:
  • Scarlett 2i2
  • Behringer DI600P
  • Ibanez RG870QMZ + DiMarzio Steve's Special Neck

Guitar Processing Chain:
  • Guitar Bus Stereo (Double track)
  • TSE X50 2.3
  • Waves REQ6 (HP 60 Hz; -2db at 600 Hz; LP 11 kHz)
  • Waves C4 (60 Hz to 250 Hz)
  • Izotope Imager (Mid range opener preset)

Hey thanks. there is really noticeable difference. I should try out a DI-Box aswell. The sound really got bigger.

about the clipping you said. Did you try to increase the buffer in the Asio-Driver settings? Is your computer powerfull enough?
I too have this problem sometimes, but only if my computer is really busy.

----

I'm going to cover Come Clarity from In Flames in the next few days and I'm trying to implement your tips.

I'll report back with results.

Thank you all.