Distortion sounds ugly and digital when recording

scalopedfret

New Metal Member
May 9, 2012
I've recently started recording with my pod x3 into my computer and whenever i record distortion it sounds really ugly,mushy and digital.I really want to get a good proffesional sound from the x3,like this guy Any advise/amp settings/cabitens/etc???

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't used pod farm in ages so I don't really remember any settings and I never used the internal cabinets, but the cali diamondplate amp with the tubescreamer model infront is a good start. Just don't dial in too much gain. New strings (and a new battery if you use active pickups) is a must, and if you don't have good technique and can't play good it simply won't sound good, most of your tone is in the fingers.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza Also use this, what you're asking for has been answered a million times already.

How do i do that? Sorry,i have absolutely no clue about recording...

We're all new at some point.

I recall asking some silly questions when I found this forum.

Read a LOT. Practice some of what is talked about here (EQ, compressing, automation, sidechaining, etc).

Getting a simple IR loader is the least of your issues right now.

Welcome, enjoy your stay; it's a pretty cool place here. :headbang:

So many posts, so little actual help...

Scalopedfret, believe me when I tell you that 90% of your tone is in your hands. With good playing, a half decent guitar with half decent pickups, and fresh strings (VERY important!) you should be able to get a good sound out of your X3. External impulses, using real amps, cabs, mic's etc can all help, but if you can't get something that you're happy with just using the X3 then you're in trouble right from the start.

If you post a clip of the sound you are getting (preferably in a mix with bass and drums) then we will be in a much better position to help.

EQ is your friend here as well. Make a narrow but tall boost and sweep it across the distorted track and find any annoying or harsh frequencies and then turn the boost into a cut and do this as much as needed until the tone smooths out.

I used Pod a long time ago. I never used the internal Cabs. They are Shit. Download the Lecab from Lepou. After that look for some cabinet impulses here or all in the net. Take the loader behind the amp Sim and load your favorite IR.
It's a long way of trial and error. ;-)

So many posts, so little actual help...

Scalopedfret, believe me when I tell you that 90% of your tone is in your hands.

When it comes to blues, jazz, classical or rock'n roll yes....when it comes to metal, no. Metal tones comes 100% from your rig, guitar, pickups,amps,cabinets mics, etc...

That's my opinion of course.

I've heard guys sound like shit through 6505 & Mesa rigs and I've heard guys sound awesome through Marshall MG's

If you don't play the guitar properly, picking hard and consistently, muting at the right place etc, no amount of money spent on a rig or post editing/processing will make you sound good. Period.

Last edited by a moderator: