podx3 - not the same sound playing like recording

Sep 15, 2008
well, i´ve a presonus firebox interface and POD X3.
i connect my POD via SPDIF to my interface.
i choose SPDIF ON in my software mixer and i play some notes and it sounds good for me.

i open nuendo/cubase/live...and i record some notes. and...it doesn´t sound the same like when i was playing. not big difference, but it doesn´t 100% the same. WHY????
this happens with my toneport too.

i´ve midi keyboard and when i play and record MIDI sound is the same 100%.

This happend to me all the time with the PODX3....that was my biggest problem with it.

Id get a killer tone to play with, try to record it and it would be all dark and terrible sounding.

Not familiar with POD's, but can you connect it any other way versus SPDIF? Then record one with SPDIF and one without SPDIF and compare the 2?

Shot in the dark, but... I hate when shit like this happens so I feel for you!! :lol:

Happened to me as well. I was about to bash it. Press 'Outputs' in your X3 (beside the screen), and you'll know what to do. Don't know how relevant my case is to yours, though. But I hope it helps. If you need more help, write down the 'output' settings here and I'll see what I can do.

well, i´ve a presonus firebox interface and POD X3.
i connect my POD via SPDIF to my interface.
i choose SPDIF ON in my software mixer and i play some notes and it sounds good for me.

i open nuendo/cubase/live...and i record some notes. and...it doesn´t sound the same like when i was playing. not big difference, but it doesn´t 100% the same. WHY????
this happens with my toneport too.

i´ve midi keyboard and when i play and record MIDI sound is the same 100%.
when going through your daw...do you have the eq on..even if you have the eq flat it will still color the sound a bit. when you put any signal through something, it will be altered in some way eg through mics, converters, compressors. you'll have to make adjustment to get the result you want.

Yeah my tone always came out a bit dark, but thats not a big issue to me. Just brighten it up a bit, ain't no thang. Also switching to POD Farm and using my X3 as a dongle essentially helped out a lot too.

i think i solve this problem.
now, i record with spdif (L or R) and it sounds same.:p

i think i play with spdif L and R channels but when i record, i record mono (L or R). now, i play with L or R and sound the same.:p

Whenever i recorded with my pod i just plugged it in via usb and used it as the interface, although this eliminates the possiblity of tracking with anything else simultaneously (as you can't use the firebox and the pod simultaneously as cubase's ASIO device.) This is the most direct way possible of doing things, which some may say is "too digital" but if you don't want the signal getting touched/colored at all, this is the way to do it since no conversion at all takes place. Besides, the whole point of the pod is it attempts to be the best outboard amp-sim you can get so I was never too put off by this. It is however also a pain because you need to unplug your monitors (or headphones) from the firebox and plug them into the Pod's outputs. I don't think alot of people are aware that the pod can act as an interface/soundcard, it's also pretty cool at times if you just wanna play some tunes in winamp and then plug in your geet and jam out to them. And doesn't the X3 have XLR ins and preamp sims? If you used the X3 as an interface for mics too you might just find yourself running out of uses for the firebox, haha.

Make sure that you record and play on the same sampling rate when using spdif. I used to use it, but I realized that using the USB port is a lot more practical and gives you more options too. Plus the sound quality is perfect.