doubt using spdif with PODx3

Sep 15, 2008
i´ve a general doubt with spdif.
for example, i make a simple patch in POD x3 (only 1 amp, no dual), and connecting my pod x3 via spdif to my presonus firebox i´ve two inputs: left spdif and right spdif.
it´s the same mono track? left spdif = right spdif??

and...when i make a dual patch, left spdif = two tones mixed and left spdif = right spdif too?

thanks,

With the X3 you can have one signal path (one amp) either stereo going to both outputs or mono summed going to one output. (Stereo is only noticeable when using stereo effects after the amp).
Or you can have 2 signal paths layered in stereo, or panned to each output.

I don't record using the POD so I'm not sure of the exact procedures but check the manual.

when i make 1amp patch i´ve the same processed sound in left and right spdif outputs. i must to choose one mono track (are the same) (left or right) and record it, correct?

if i make a 2amp patch (dual), normal thing is tone1 center, tone2 center and, in left & right spdif outputs i´d have tone1&tone2 mix and i must choose left or right mono channel to record it like in option1, correct?

to record guitars mono track, correct?

help,
and sorry if it is a amateur question, i need to know basics.;)

From the Manual:

"Outputs Page 2: Studio/Direct Mix
DIGITAL
STUDIO/DIRECT MIX
TONE 1TONE 2PAN PAN
ON ON
MATCH
STUDIO/
DIRECT 48kHz+12dB
RA TE LE VEL FORMAT
S/PDIF
This mix provides POD’s legendary direct recording sound, ideal for connecting •
direct to a mixer, recorder, PA, or headphones for “Studio Mode” sound.
The headphone and USB 1-2 outputs always get this mix. •
For POD X3 Live and POD X3 Pro, this also always feeds the XLR Direct Outs. •
The 1/4-inch outputs can get this mix, too, when desired. (See next page.) •
Tone 1 – allows you to either turn On or Mute Tone 1.
Pan – sets the location of Tone 1 in the stereo feld.
Tone 2 – allows you to turn On or Mute Tone 2.
Pan – sets the location of Tone 2 in the stereo feld.
Digital – sets the signal for the digital output. There are four options:
Match Studio/Direct – Digital outputs the Tone and Pan settings as shown. •
Studio/Direct Tone 1 – Digital outputs Tone 1 only, panned center. •
Studio/Direct Tone 2 – Digital outputs Tone 2 only, panned center. •
Dry Inputs – Digital Left outputs the unprocessed input(s) to Tone 1, and Digital •
Right outputs the unprocessed input(s) to Tone 2.

Rate – affects the digital output only, setting the S/PDIF or AES/EBU signal’s sample
rate to 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz or Match Digital In."

i´ve a general doubt with spdif.
for example, i make a simple patch in POD x3 (only 1 amp, no dual), and connecting my pod x3 via spdif to my presonus firebox i´ve two inputs: left spdif and right spdif.
it´s the same mono track? left spdif = right spdif??

and...when i make a dual patch, left spdif = two tones mixed and left spdif = right spdif too?

thanks,

You don't have a left and right S/PDIF input on your Firebox. S/PDIF is a stereo digital input in a single jack. One of those jacks is an input, and one is an output.

Connect a S/PDIF rca cable to the S/PDIF output on your POD, and run that to the S/PDIF input on your Firebox. If the POD is sending a stereo signal, your Firebox will record it in stereo through the single S/PDIF input.

i cant find anyway of adjusting the output volume of my spdif setup with my pod...

You don't have a left and right S/PDIF input on your Firebox. S/PDIF is a stereo digital input in a single jack. One of those jacks is an input, and one is an output.

Connect a S/PDIF rca cable to the S/PDIF output on your POD, and run that to the S/PDIF input on your Firebox. If the POD is sending a stereo signal, your Firebox will record it in stereo through the single S/PDIF input.

yes, spdif is a digital stereo signal...it´s the 24 bit digital version of left & right anagog pod outputs.
but for example, with analog outputs, to record, it records with only 1 mono channel.
spdif in my presonus is one IN, but then, two spdif mono channels, left & right, and i think i must record with one mono channel.

some help.

i cant find anyway of adjusting the output volume of my spdif setup with my pod...

in the OUTPUTS pod section:
studio/direct mix

spdif -> S/P LVL (to 12 dB)

;)

yeah i know, but there's no making it quieter..which is annoying if i want to mix quieter at night....or is there? ;)

have you tried using the pod as an interface? meaning, connect it via usb, jump in cubase (or whatever) and set the pod to be the standard ASIO device? that's what i did when i had a pod and a firepod, don't even bother with the firebox. there is no conversion whatsoever this way. or headaches or obscure cables, etc.