Disturbing News

Pabla

The Devil Wears Maiden
Apr 18, 2004
LA
Well, I must say I just read this and I am EXTREMELY shocked...I've never had the chance to get into Black Metal, hence I cannot comment as to what this movement is all about, but I am sure that like any other music "movement" it is not to be taken seriously as a "way of life". At any rate, read the news yourself :erk:

Black Metaller Kills Priest

A Chilean black metal fan killed an Italian Catholic priest two weeks ago, slitting his throat just after the priest had finished giving Mass at Santiago's Metropolitan Cathedral.

Horrified churchgoers heard Father Faustino Gazziero scream as he was attacked, but most did not actually see the killing as the priest had already walked away from the altar.

"I only saw when people took the knife away from the [attacker], but I clearly heard the Father's cries," a man who identified himself as Raul told the Santiago daily La Tercera.

Authorities identified the assailant as Rodrigo Orias Gallardo, 25. Orias smeared his face with the victim's blood and then stabbed himself several times in the chest and neck with the same knife (photo of similar knife/dagger), several witnesses said.

Orias, who admitted that he made the 1,900-km journey to Santiago from his parents' hometown of Coyaique with the intention of murdering a priest, was rushed to a hospital and underwent surgery. He was under arrest.

He was reportedly not under the effect of drugs or alcohol at the time of the July 24 attack.

Police have recovered inverted crosses, goats' horns and a number of heavy metal albums from Orias' rented apartment in Santiago.

Chile is a devoutly Roman Catholic country and the killing is seen as a direct attack on the Church.

The Chilean media is said to be in shock over the incident and has focused on finding a connection between the killing of Father Gazziero and Orias' devotion to black metal bands like DARK FUNERAL and MARDUK. Several recent TV programs have featured discussions about sects, Satan and Satanic metal, generating the kind of media frenzy unseen in Chile since the Church banned IRON MAIDEN from performing in Santiago almost a decade ago due to the band's "demonic" overtones.

Orias, who had a pentagram branded on the left side of his chest (covering his heart) and several other Satanic symbols tattooed on his body reportedly asked DARK FUNERAL singer Emperor Magus Caligula during the Swedish black metal band's visit to Santiago last year to burn an inverted cross on Rodrigo's arm with a cigar, a "mark" which he later planned to make into a tattoo.

Over the course of the last few days, several churches in Chile have been vandalized and others have received anonymous letters and phone calls threatening to kill more priests during the coming weeks.

Father Bernardino Zanella, the vicar responsible for the Servites in Santiago, told the Missionary Service News Agency that "the phenomenon of Satanism in Chile, as in other countries of the world, is growing strongly. Numerous groups are active in the country, especially in the cities, although in recent years their presence has also spread to minor urban centers."

To date, these groups "had limited themselves to desecrate and commit acts of vandalism in sacred places and cemeteries, but it never happened that they attacked persons," the Servite added, according to Zenit.org.

Father Gazziero, 69, was a native of Lozzo Atestino, Italy. He went to Chile in 1960, immediately after his priestly ordination. He used to live in his alleged killer's hometown, Coyhaique, but this does not appear to be related to the incident and is considered to be merely coincidental. Gazziero moved from Coyhaique to Santiago in the late 1970s.

For years he had been dedicated to education. He was president of the St. Teresa Foundation, which administers numerous schools in the country. He coordinated four schools of the Servants of Mary in Santiago.

Another stupid, idiotic and ignorant asshole does something so repulsive, and it will now put a black eye on Metal in general, and Black Metal in particular. The fact that they mentioned Iron Maiden in the article because they were banned a while back is just proof of what stupidity can do. Unbelievable, so say the least.

This world is fucked up and so are his inhabitants. Sad and lame.

I read a few spanish articles linked to this news and some websites point out the guilt of Metal of course, as usual... thanks to this pathetic moron.

Wicked Child said:
That's fucking nuts. That's all i can say, it's stupid and moronic. That dumb ass makes us Chileans look bad.
I know :erk: I am originally from Chile as well

Remember Mayhem history, remember the burning of churches in Norway. Some BM people really don't know where music ends and reality start, and that goes too for many metalheads fans (not to mention rapers, hip-hopers, and similar things).

But Sixx pointed it good why Mozart fans are never in the newspaper...?

I listen to Dark Funeral and Marduk. It's sad that people take things so far and make metal look so bad.

Had the guy listened to classical music, they would have come up with another reason why he did it. He would have actually been classified as delusional or something instead of just another psychotic metalhead.

There is a good example of taking things too seriously. It looks bad on metal in general and I hope the courts take no mercy on that psychotic idiot. I have a large music collection which includes some bands that have Christian based lyrics and some that have anti-Christian based lyrics. Am I suppose to go kill priests and then go and burn witches ? Of course not. I haven't even had a speeding ticket in ten years.
The media won't write an article about a tax-paying, law-abiding (for the most part) metal-head citiczen though. It is all about shock value. Obviously, someone that does something like this is mentally off their rocker or on some very serious drugs. You can bet that the fact this individual's mental capacity will play second flute to the fact he is a metal fan though.

Bryant

Pabla said:
I know :erk: I am originally from Chile as well
Crap I say! Nobody who can think for a dime would change his mind about Chileans because of some psycho who can't tell fiction from reality. That's as ridiculous as blaming Black Metal for it. It's all about a fucked up mind of some retarded madman.

I know metalheads are very devoted to their favourite bands, but that just takes things waaaaaaay too far.
This guy is obviously metally ill, why do they have to blame metal for it?
The media will do anything to make money.. Bastards.

Bryant said:
The media won't write an article about a tax-paying, law-abiding (for the most part) metal-head citiczen though.
Yeah I never show up in the newspaper, maybe I have to go and kill someone most probably a newsperson :heh:

And then people ask me why I only read the comics in the newspaper. Does anyone remember an article about something good happening? Everytime I open the paper is about: government corruption, inefficiency, murder, rape, war, britney spears, diseases, floods, earthquakes, terrorism, and some other disasters.