DIY Diffusors?

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Have any of you done this? Would they be as efficient as DIY bass/broadband traps or is there too much geek-dome involved?

My room is 10ft high, 12 ft wide and 14 ft long - currently dead sounding and creepy, but flat enough:cool:. Am I better off with no diffusion at all or would adding a really small one towards the end of the room give me some good results?

Well my understanding is diffusers usually are only a good idea in a pretty big room, but I'd say yours definitely qualifies as that! (lucky bastard :D) The cheapest and most effective way to DIY a diffuser I would think would be to get a big board, and then a fuckload of long pieces of wood in a square shape (like 2"x2"), cut them to random lengths, and glue them onto the board so they all stick out and are as close to one another as possible. Also, as I understand it, the best place to put it is on the wall directly behind your head.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Diffusor02.jpg

Diffusors are one of the harder things to DIY primarily because there's a fair bit more science involved in them. The general idea is to splay different frequencies in different directions, so you send 800Hz one way and 2kHz the other. The idea is as random distribution as possible. This is hard to do without some hard geekdom, but as a temporary measure you can do the bits of wood sticking out of a wooden board thing that some have done in the past. The effectiveness of this I'm not sure about.

If you go to www.realtraps.com they have a video shoot-out of all kinds of different diffusion and how well it works. The pre-fabricated products are your best bet, so if you care about the sound over cost, that would be the way to go. Otherwise if you go DIY, best of luck to you and make sure to let us know how it comes up!

google around, I know there are calculators out there you can put in all kinds of information and it will actually tell you how many of what length of wood you need, along with the order of placement.

Yeah all that wood... is he compensating for something :heh:
speaking of wood....
Ah, Studio C at Blackbird in Nashville. Brilliant! :headbang:

Here's a close-up:

Blackbird_GML_Room.jpg

Well my understanding is diffusers usually are only a good idea in a pretty big room, but I'd say yours definitely qualifies as that! (lucky bastard :D) The cheapest and most effective way to DIY a diffuser I would think would be to get a big board, and then a fuckload of long pieces of wood in a square shape (like 2"x2"), cut them to random lengths, and glue them onto the board so they all stick out and are as close to one another as possible. Also, as I understand it, the best place to put it is on the wall directly behind your head.

Phew, I was always under the impression that my room wasn't big enough. Now that you mention it makes me feel a lot better about using diffusors. Gotta go wood hunting asap I guess. Thanks.:headbang:

Diffusors are one of the harder things to DIY primarily because there's a fair bit more science involved in them. The general idea is to splay different frequencies in different directions, so you send 800Hz one way and 2kHz the other. The idea is as random distribution as possible. This is hard to do without some hard geekdom, but as a temporary measure you can do the bits of wood sticking out of a wooden board thing that some have done in the past. The effectiveness of this I'm not sure about.

If you go to www.realtraps.com they have a video shoot-out of all kinds of different diffusion and how well it works. The pre-fabricated products are your best bet, so if you care about the sound over cost, that would be the way to go. Otherwise if you go DIY, best of luck to you and make sure to let us know how it comes up!

google around, I know there are calculators out there you can put in all kinds of information and it will actually tell you how many of what length of wood you need, along with the order of placement.

I guess I'll get into some intense geekdome for a few weeks (even a few weeks aint long enough:lol:) and try to figure out the dimensions. I've come across this (http://www.mh-audio.nl/RoomAcoustic.asp#acousticlinks). Hopefully the site has got what I'm looking for, and I would be looking for more. And NoDestiny, I'll keep my eyes open for the app. Thanks!