DIY wireless monitors

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So as many here might know my band plays with sequenced keyboards, and for now the drummer is the only one using headphones for the click track (my AKGK77s), but I want everyone to be able to have it because there are parts with no drums in our songs (clean guitar intro with no drums, ambient part with only bass and keys, etc.) and it really sucks to have the drummer timing it with the ride or kick or something cause it totally kills the mood of the songs. Thing is, those wireless in ear monitoring systems are some expensive little fucks! I managed to find a decently payable Nady system in my country (http://www.audiopormenos.com/nady-pem-eo3.html there´s the link to it, but most here don´t get spanish or venezuelan currency so whatever), but right now it is still out of my price range (which right now is pretty much 0$$). So I got this idea from instructables.com IIRC, to make a DIY wireless monitor system. This is how it goes:

Buy an fm transmitter, those that have regular 1/8" plug, not the ipod connection ones. and work through batteries, not car power.
Buy a small fm reciever radio (those our pops use to go jogging), one for each band member who will have click (except the drummer cause he don´t need wireless, unless you want to of course but not necessary).

1. plug in the fm transmitter to the source of the click track/monitor mix, in my case it would an aux output on my small mixer where I have the keys and click, or could be the output of my headphone which is beforehand connected to the mixer.
2. put the fm transmitter to work on a fairly empty frequency band (this will depend mostly on the quality of the transmitter)
3. sync your personal fm radio to that station, and voila! wireless monitoring at the very cheap!

Just thought I might want to share this here for those who haven´t done it and could use some cheap wireless monitoring, and ask if someone else around HAS used it and to what level of success?

If I get it to work right I will be using this on sept. 19th for my band´s show, I seem to have a bad quality transmitter since it gets a really weak signal and fades away, or maybe it´s because it has only 4 frequency bands to choose from and none is empty enough (they get some noise and signal from nearby freqs) so it fucks up the receiving end, mixing the transmitter signal with the nearby freqs.

P.S. I say "in ear" but it could just as well work for regular headphones, if you don´t feel the whole band wearing huge Dj headphones wouldn´t totally kill, massacre and mutilate the stage presence of course (I do)

Is everyone going to huddle around the transmitter? They only transmit a few feet so you're probably better off going hardwired.

Edit:

Your idea is good, but isn't going to work as well as you hope.

Well the spec on a decent transmitter I'm looking at says 10 meters but the "real" effective range would be 3 or 4 meters, which can be small for some stages, but most of the time it's still good enough I guess. But yeah It probably won't work that good. Any ideas to make it work, without having to shell out the cash on some real ones? or maybe I should go for it and buy a cheap "real" monitor system like the one I linked in the op?

By the time you invest in the equipment required to transmit a broadcast at a strong enough signal, you might as well just buy a regular set of in-ears. Carvin has a decent set for ~$350 USD ($180USD for more receivers though :( ).

Well, you could do it DIY all the way, and actually build a transmitter yourself...
shouldn't be that hard to do, google is your friend here

Well, you could do it DIY all the way, and actually build a transmitter yourself...
shouldn't be that hard to do, google is your friend here

hmm ok checked that out. Doesn't seem too hard, but I can get pretty dumb and lazy for that kind of stuff sometimes haha I think I'll wait a little to get the Nady system I posted in the OP, along with two extra recievers for the whole band

I just read some comments on the Nady and Carvin IEMs and they seem to be crap to many people's standards. I really don't think I'm that picky with that sort of stuff, I live in a country where cheap stuff is "decently payable", decently payable stuff is "expensive" and expensive stuff is "fuck that shit I ain´t paying that ever"

any reccomendations on some cheap but reliable IEMs? sound quality really ain´t THAT important, it´s more about being able to hear the click track and not die on us in a show.