QUICK HELP NEEDED EUROPE WIRELESS MICROPHONES

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
Help!! My friend is in Greece about to go on tour but her wireless mic wont work. She has a wireless SM58 that she purchased here in the States but for some reason it wont work over there...In Greece they cost a hell of a lot of money so she wants me to pick one up for her that works in Europe...I need to get this mic purchased tonight or early tomorrow to get it out to her by next week.

I think it's a frequency related issue but it might be related to power as well...they guys at guitar center out here were pretty clueless so maybe some of you with international experience can help me--what's going on here? I want to get her a new mic but I don't want to get something that isn't gonna work.

Also if any of you in Athens have access to a discounted wireless mic (under 500 american dollars) then let me know so I can have her give you a call.
Thanks so much guys, this is totally urgent!! :worship:

As far as power goes, in europe they use 220V, and also different htz or something.

No it has to do with the frequencies. I talked to a Shure rep and he said every area around the world has different frequencies that can be used. Having never toured anywhere, I had no idea. You literally have to identify each city ahead of time to ensure that your wireless is compatible...something like that, allegedly.

Genius Gone Insane said:
No it has to do with the frequencies. I talked to a Shure rep and he said every area around the world has different frequencies that can be used. Having never toured anywhere, I had no idea. You literally have to identify each city ahead of time to ensure that your wireless is compatible...something like that, allegedly.
Wow, never heard about that... That should suck for a band touring the world, kinda kills the purpose for having wireless equipment if it's true.

There should be a wayout tho. She can still consider equipment renting...not cheap, but probably cheaper than buying a new emiter/receiver for each country outside U.S that she tours.

I'm sorry but I don't understand... If she has the emiter and the receiver, shouldn't she be able to use it anywhere ? Since the emiter emits at a certain frequency and the receiver receives at the same frequency, no matter where you are, these frequencies are the same if you don't touch them... Weird... There's nothing here in the air that changes the frequencies of wireless equipment... or maybe just in the UK then ;-) But I don't have one so my guessing might be totally wrong...

The emitter and receiver run on the same frequencies, but they don't use the entire frequency spectrum (obviously). In the every area, there is only a small part of the entire frequency spectrum that can be used on stage without getting interference due to outside signals--like from TV, radio, CB, walkie talkie, military, blenders, airplane, you name it--signals. From what I understand, each area (I suppose each country[?]) has different guidelines or standards as to what equipment can use different spans of frequency.

Thus, a walkie talkie in the United States might use a different set of frequencies than in Europe. I am no master on the subject; this is just what I learned today.

So.. wireless systems use whatever little hole there is within the electrical noise field... which in this case is totally different because all the devices/appliances etc are made to totally different specs. ? . Interesting.. somewhat.

Sorry for the useless post. Hope you can get it, or got it, sorted