do i need drum module?

lordtech

Jun 15, 2008
Brunei
i own ddrum red shot acoustic trigger set which i bought last year. I only used 'em on toms, then replace with samples manually.

Manually means i record them dry thru my korg mixer. Then send the track to Sonar's session drummer to change the wave hits to midi. But it takes so much time to make adjusments on velocity and other stuffs.

What i want to know is dat can i just connect the line input from the triggers to drum modules? ive been looking around thru the net but not much details can be found.

Hope u guys can help. cheers~ :kickass:

Yèah, just plugin the trigger cable and you can use a drum module to output samples or midi notes. Or both at the same time.
But getting the settings right so that it triggers correctly can be tricky and time consuming as well.

thing is with the modules is you've to set up threshold and sensitivity and the likes for these too- each time you hook em up it changes same as with a trigger recorded dry into your daw. Thing is you'll end up editing the midi to omit false triggers same you have to when hooking up your trigger straight to your pc.

It won't really save you any time and the way you're doing it now involves you NOT having to buy a module so I wouldn't bother

which means i do NOT have to buy a module if there's not much change like time consuming or tweaking or watsoever?

hmm... stick to what i have been doing then.

thnx for the replies guys \m/

lordtech,

Are you using Audio Snap at all in the converting to midi process?

yeap! At first i love it.. but now, it was just a tiring job replacing all the kit with samples. It's just dat my mixer only have 4 xlr inputs + 4 line inputs. The line inputs are for the 3 toms (triggered) and the extra input is for the ride cymbal (signal coming from another mixer)

Ah I see. I tried using Audio Snap today for the first time. Was trying to replace the kick drum. I was a bit disappointed, tbh. Even with the threshold at the lowest setting, Audio Snap wasn't catching transients that occur close together.

Does this happen to you? Any tips?

yeap.. happens to me too at the beginning up til now.

What i did was that i just move the midi notes to where it got mistriggered, aligned with the dry hits (wave). It realli got difficult where there's blast beats or drum rolls everywhere!!
well,I dunno if this answers ur question dude.

*not realli good at explaning in english.* \m/

So you just convert to midi, then add a new midi note in the missing spots by looking at the wav?

Makes sense, but seems tedious. I wonder if Beat Detective is any better? That can convert to MIDI, yes?

Actually, maybe one of the free audio to MIDI VSTs would even be better. KT Drum Trigger for example.

"So you just convert to midi, then add a new midi note in the missing spots by looking at the wav?"

yeap.. i did that all the time. Im not familiar with Beat Detective or KT drumtrigger. Ive tried Drumtracker though, pretty similar to session drummer in some cases.

hmm.. r u using Sonar dude? the conversion is done using audiosnap, then u insert session drummer. And thts it! heheh

apTrigga is like ~$50 and I use it all the time for black metal blasting and tech-death drumming, etc. Takes like 10 seconds to set it up for a kick and I can't remember the last time I had a mis-trigger using it... I own Drumagog Pro btw...haven't used it since I bought apTrigga over two years ago now I think. ;)

hmm.. r u using Sonar dude? the conversion is done using audiosnap, then u insert session drummer. And thts it! heheh
Haha, yeah I'm using Sonar. I just never did drum replacement until now.

apTrigga is like ~$50 and I use it all the time for black metal blasting and tech-death drumming, etc. Takes like 10 seconds to set it up for a kick and I can't remember the last time I had a mis-trigger using it... I own Drumagog Pro btw...haven't used it since I bought apTrigga over two years ago now I think. ;)

You havent been on AIM in a couple days. What gives?