Do i really have to buy a Gibson Les Paul?

Indiooo said:
But weren't you looking for a Les Paul? LPs and Strats are two completely different beasts.

No. I am just looking for a guitar which can give me the tone I want..

also can you tell me a specific name for the humbuckers?

A friend of mine has the MetalZone (doesn't use it though). When you're playing at really low volumes (like you do at home probably), it's cool, it gives you some chunky tones to practice with, but other than that I think it's absolut CRAP. Doesn't work for tube amps either. Don't expect it to be a booster of any kind. I've tried it a couple of times and it sucks the life out of a tube amp.

About the pickups. You have the usual suspects: DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan and EMG. But also check Bill Lawrence. I can't remember any other brands commonly associated with metal. If you like more classic tones there is also Fralin, Rio Grande, Shur, etc, etc.

About the FX. Do you want a toy to have fun with or a serious unit (or units)? Do you gig?

Remember, these are just my opinions, listen to other people too.

I agree on the "soul" thing. I like guitars as old and as beat up as I can get them, as long as they're not thorn apart.

Listen, ANY guitar can give you a good Death Metal sound - if you have a good amp AND you spend money on upgrading the bridge pickup! 90% of all guitars in that price range come with pickups that are absolute crap. That goes for Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich, Epiphone and ESP/LTD.

Find a guitar that is low cost, looks cool, plays well and has humbucker pickups. That's step one. Step two is to buy a powerful bridge pickup, such as the Seymour Duncan Invader, DiMarzio X2N or a set of EMGs (81 & 85). Have the new pickup installed, plug your guitar into your amp and start spreading sonic death!

i think that gibson les paul is now the best solution fore someone who wants to play metal music,even if bands like Borknagar and many more use this guitar...but if i had to choose ,i think that jackson is the best compromise for every one,even if ,here in my nation,a jackson guitar made in USA costs about 1400 € that is to say 1400$ for the basic models.....however Esp or Ibanez or MusicMan are also very good guitars

m0rtis said:
can i really get a death metal sound from a fender strat? That's the important thing, because I am going to play in a death metal band and i don't want my guitar to sound like Iron Maiden :) (not that i don't like iron maiden, i adore them :) but their sound just doesn't fit me )

u ever heard of obituary?? hello???

m0rtis said:
I am going to buy a new electric guitar. However I can't decide which one to buy. I checked every band I listen, and I saw that the most of them use Gibson Lespaul. so I am beginning to think that Gibson is the only way to get a real good tone, distortion etc. But it's impossible for me to afford a gibson. I can only get a guitar which would cost me like 400-500 dolars..
So please share your wisdom and i can find a peaceful and cheap solution :)

Get a Carvin DC727C. I would post mine, but the stupid rules of this forum doesn't let me post it. In the Megadeth forum I'm able to. I don't know why attaching something has to be so special in here.

Can somebody tell me what can I do to attach something?

BC Rich guitars are a matter of preference and in my opinion, I think they are very cool guitars. You can find them at a wide range of prices so you do have to shop around to get the best price but when you know where to go, you can find them quite cheaply. If you are going to get one, don't buy it without trying it out. Some are practically impossible to play sitting down which is not good for beginners but for example, the warlock would suit any metal guitarist. They have a very metal image and play quite nicely.

The only way to really find the best metal guitar is to go to a music store, and play. Play like hell, play until your freking fingers bleed. Tone isn't everything, you have to buy a guitar that feels comfotable to you. I played my friends dad's Vintage 71 Les Paul, I'm telling you the thing sounded Pimp, but after standing for 2 hours (On and Off) my back was shot. The bigsby was a pile to. I play a Japanese Jackson Soloist, I Absoultley Positvely LOVE IT. 400-500 dollars will get you farther than you think. A Pro Series Jackson, though cheaper, still kicks ass. Go to your local shop and try a Jackson. If fast is your style, Jackson is for you. Check out the Jackson WRMG, It has an EMG afterburner and sounds awsome. If you buy from the right place (guitarexpress.com) You can get one with a case for well under 600. Don't take my word for it though, make shure you buy a guitar that's right for you.

I guess you guys are right. I was planning to order from US. because in Turkey, the electric guitars cost 200-300 dolars more from US. but If i order it without testing I could get a really crappy guitar..

damn this guitar shopping stuffs really suck! :yell:

m0rtis said:
I guess you guys are right. I was planning to order from US. because in Turkey, the electric guitars cost 200-300 dolars more from US. but If i order it without testing I could get a really crappy guitar..

damn this guitar shopping stuffs really suck! :yell:
All you have to do is go into your local guitar shops and let them think you're going to buy one so you can try them out. find one you like and order it from the US.

6in6flames6 said:
All you have to do is go into your local guitar shops and let them think you're going to buy one so you can try them out. find one you like and order it from the US.

Yeah I can do that too..
probably I am going to replace the pickups with good ones

If I were you I would get a Jackson or an Ibanez. I got a really nice neck thru Ibanez for 800 and it was worth it. I wouldn't bother with a bc rich that's only about 'looking cool.' I used to have one and the tone was horrible and was built horribly. I'd only go for Fender if price range didn't matter. What I don't understand about Fender though is that all of these pop and punk bands use Fender but they are actually built for playability and speed and its not like these pop and punk bands have anything strenuous to play.

Jackson has a few VERY nice guitars in that pice range currently, and the neck thru Ibanez models in that range are pretty sweet as well. Schecter makes a couple of quality rigs as well, and their price is right in the range you are looking at. I would hit as many shops as I could, and play the different makes and models through some quality amps. What works for one person may not be the best fit for someone else....

Regardles of what you buy...as long as you feel it when you jam, you made the right decision. Post some pics when you buy one...

schecter also does some nice things in that price range...anyway. when you go to buy one, dont think about anything anyone said here as the main priority, just play everything and get what feels and sounds good to you, since thats what matters in the end

if you want a guitar for shredding, les pauls are good with their small scale, but they dont go up to 24 frets. thats not really a problem for a lot of people tho cause a good player doesnt need the extra fret or two.

i play an epiphone les paul, one of those limited edition x-series ones, (you know the ones with the weird paint job, like crackle yellwo and blue and shit) anyway, i would say that it blows the hell outta a lot of guitars. it has great sustain and it has such a rich tone. it definately is the epitome of a les paul,

i have played many many guitars, (i used to go to guitar center every weekend for about a year haha) and seriously, IMO you can not beat a les paul unless of course your willing to pay 15000 for one of those vintage gibson semi-hollows haha. but yeh i love the les paul, and will use them until i die.