Do my vocals sound good in the mix? (Singing & Screaming)

taylorshreds

Shred it
Sep 18, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I recorded some vocals over an instrumental version of an I See Stars song to practice mixing my vocals, and i think i'm starting to figure it out. The one thing i need to work on that i can think of is automating the double tracks to quantize together better. So give me some feedback and i'll bake cookies for you \m/heads. Cheers! :kickass:

EDIT: I recorded the rest of the song on vocals, some isn't mixed as well as other parts but oh well. Lemme know what you guys think overall!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good to me. Cleans might be a tiny bit too present for this particular mix. I mean, usually in the autotune-core they put a shitload of verbs and delays on cleans to make it sound as far and unnatural as possible. Yours sound kind of more present than the genre demands, but I personally think it's cool.

The mix isn't that good but you've got a great voice. Keep working on it.

probably not clipping, but the instrument mix sounds super distorted and blown up, it's distracting and annoying, is the original song like that? Never heard it. Your vocals are cool, the cleans sound really nice, not too auto-tuney and not too "ghostly" but with a good amount of verb. The screams, they're ok but not powerful enough for my taste, still good though.

Yeah I tried to mimic the screams the actual vocalist of the band, i do more of a low gutteral type scream personally. And thanks for you complement man, i've been really trying to get better at singing and especially mixing my own voice. Really means a lot dude :) & the original mix is by Joey Sturgis, and it's very techno-y with alot of 808's and those clip mad. Dunno if he went for that sound on purpose or what.....

the original is distorted similarly in the build up but as far as the guitar and drums go, they should not be like that. Im not really sure what you did to it. But as previously said, the vocals sound great man! The mix not as much :p

Edit: It sounds like it's in mono

I like your screams! They sound fairly unique, and your cleans are pretty good. The mix, its not too bad, the clipping and distortion is also present in the original so not much can be done about that!

Overall pretty sweet!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah i didn't mess with the actual mix of the instrumental at all, I've noticed that it does sound a bit different than the original song. I also added another part of the song in the original post so go check out that out if you havent. :)

Sorry for the bump, but i decided to record the full song on vocals. Lemme know what you guys think, some parts are mixed better than other but overall i think I did a pretty decent performance. Again, all the vocals are me recorded over the instrumental of the song.

This is way too compressed, I'm tired after 30s of listening ! It may not be clipping but it sounds just as bad as if it did at many moments. Singing sounds pretty good to me !

Well like i've said previously, i didn't touch the actual mix of the song it's the instrumental version of NZT48 by I See Stars, released by Sumerian Records and produced/mixed/mastered by Joey Sturgis. i just left it as it was and did my vocals. There is ALOT of electronica stuff going on in the background maybe thats what you guys are hearing, i dunno. This is to show the mix of my vocals not the song underneath them. And thanks for the complement man!

Here's the actual song by ISS if you guys want to hear it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Kh7kYUm7s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Kh7kYUm7s[/ame]

I mean the mix sounds ok I guess (from my laptop) even though I don't like it but man this is so tiring !

I think your vocals sound good, it is not my style but your inherent vocal qualities are promising. With the correct editing it would sound pro without a doubt. What is your background in singing ?