Do you believe in a cure for AIDS?

Rosa Negra Imortal

love never dies
Jun 13, 2002
Jardim da Saudade
Visit site
A few weeks ago I was in deep conversation with my friends and we started talking about diseases and stuff. Soon, AIDS was our main topic. After too many bullshits and jokes the question was: AIDS, the cure will be possible? Many people are dying as a consequence of it and much more are getting infected each day.

We know that the virus has a great mutation capacity which make it's resistance for drugs. But, we all thought about the economic side of it...we thought that maybe the cure was already found, but the drug's high prices make the powerfull governaments around the world hide it from the community just to let them, and the drugstores, earning money from the few people able to by these expensive drugs. And that's is another point: the cure, for sure, it'll be so expensive that all the poor will dye anyway and I think that the poor are the majority in the world and the majority infected.

Well, it's just a hypothesis that came in our minds...

I'd like to write more detais about what I think, but my english is so limited and I'm very lazy now, so, I'll stop here.

You're free to give your opinions.

Rosa

If that is true, then a meteor bigger than Earth should hit us and end it all. If people as a whole would act like that to each other...damn I don't even know what to say...I dont' know if there is a word to describe it.

Originally posted by Silent Downfall
yes there is a cure, it's called stem cells. unfortunately the bastard bush limits the reserach on this. stem cells could cure about anything.

Can you tell me how stem cells can cure aids? I just want to know about it...I'm not testing you. I really don't know.

Originally posted by loudsilence
If that is true, then a meteor bigger than Earth should hit us and end it all. If people as a whole would act like that to each other...damn I don't even know what to say...I dont' know if there is a word to describe it.

Yeah, the meteor...very hauting no? Thinking about the end of the world is not good for me...

Originally posted by Silent Downfall
well correct me if im wrong but stem cells can be genetically engineered to produce any number of tissues... why not blood? im really no expert. like they could repair brain tissue and spinal nerves, why not produce your same kind of blood?

Yes, is something like that. From them you may create another tissues....and, why not blood? But the virus stays only in the blood? I think that the virus join other parts of our organs, but I'm really not sure. If the virus stays only in the blood ok...the solution is a complete, total transfusion...and, if the virus are hosted in other areas beyond the blood? Taking this into consideration, it's almost impossible by the way you said to cure aids because the blood infected runs throughout our body, so, all our inner organs (all tissues) are infected by the virus and we can't change them all.

No that's not how Aids works. A-quired I-mmune Deficency S-yndrom. What happends is the virus attacks your white blood cells witch is your immune system. So after a while you don't have enough white blood cells to even survive a common cold, witch is what ususally kills people

we could easily have a cure by now.

think about it: right now, we are at the point where we can keep AIDS victims alive (in america, anyway; apparent no one cares about countries like africa) by 'cocktails' of pills every day, perhaps many times a day.

this is a lot of pills. somebody's making a lot of money on AIDS.... who? pharmaceutical companies, that's who.

who would be the most likely to find a cure for AIDS, what with the best funding? pharmaceutical companies, that's who.

so who's not going to bother finding a cure when there's so much profit dealing with symptoms instead? pharmaceutical companies, that's who.

The only way we'll ever find cures to the world's most dangerous diseases and viruses is if those moronic conservative christians would allow the damned research. They argue that we're "playing God". Fuck that, and fuck christian conservatives.

Originally posted by -Desecrated-
The only way we'll ever find cures to the world's most dangerous diseases and viruses is if those moronic conservative christians would allow the damned research. They argue that we're "playing God". Fuck that, and fuck christian conservatives.

oh please, stem cells aren't where the answer lies. once again, we're talking about a Bismarckian solution, rather than a darwinian one.

the future is viruses.

Has anyone ever heard of ozoe (sp?) treatments?
I know someone with AIDS that was near dying and wheelchair bound who had ozoe treatments done. After a couple months of the treatments, he was up and partying again.
As far as I know ozoe treatment is illegal, but I don't know much abou it. If anyone could explain it to me, that'd be great. :D

Originally posted by saturnix
what else have christian conservatives argued against?

I'm using that as an example.. If they find a treatment that's just as controversial in the future who's to say they won't be against it? Using religion to hinder the progression of science is just wrong.