Do you EVER EQ your cleans for reamp?

andygo

Jul 17, 2006
MARS
Hi guys!
My question is - do you EVER EQ your cleans for reamp?
Ill try to illustrate it by an example - i have quite decent hardware EQ -
( Joemeek )
and tracking my bass DI for further reamping i clearly know that i will cut out
some 350-500 Hz and add some 120 Hz and 1,5-2KHz (for example). So, is it make any sense to do it on tracking stage? The same for guitars.
Thanx in advance!

There is nothing to say you can't do it but it wont sound the same, it would have a similar effect to using different pickups or body wood, the amplifier will react different to a pre EQ'd signal (main reason of using a TS on this board)

Try it!!

There is nothing to say you can't do it but it wont sound the same, it would have a similar effect to using different pickups or body wood, the amplifier will react different to a pre EQ'd signal (main reason of using a TS on this board)

Try it!!

Yeah! Im sure that amplifier will react different, but is it ok or not?)
And sorry for stupidness, what is TS ? ) Tube Screamer?)
Thank you!

If it sounds good it's "ok". There are no set rules in audio-enigneering ;) I never thought about it mainly because I have no hardware EQ but I guess it can work.
Yeah, on here "TS" = (Ibanez) Tubescreamer or any clones or similar pedals like Maxon OD-9, OD-808 etc.

Yeah tubscreamer, a lot of guys use it here to hit the amp with a little more midrange and removing some low end giving a much better tone!

Yeah tubscreamer, a lot of guys use it here to hit the amp with a little more midrange and removing some low end giving a much better tone!

Yeah, i have 909 too and use it ( frankly speaking im not too happy with its low end removing) on reamping stage. But what im interested in is somebody's EQ experience on DI tracking stage.

No problems doing that. Just make sure to listen closely and don't go crazy with it, should be fine.

I did it recently. Added a bunch of high frequencies and a limiter to the DIs because the guitar tracks were a bit weedy and not quite attacky enough. Seemed to work ok.

Wow! Im not sure about limiter) Dont you warry about transients?

HP your dry signal. Cut sum low mids. Boost sum treble. And it will sound better then before,imo.

I have used limiter on the DI before as well, I have also used a transient shaping plug-in (Cubase's Envelope Shaper). Whatever you need to do in order to get what you need/want from the DI signal.

That is very interesting about transient shaping! I thought about it but was not sure. Did you do that to pop up the attack?