Do you have a SW 'standout track'?

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
Is there any SW-song in particular you like the best (and/or has a very special meaning to you)?

The Great Escape :lol: Easily their best track.

Other than that it's probably Break The Silence, mainly because I think the instrumental section in the middle is their best.

See, I have a track like that with most of my favorite bands, but SW is kind of different. Their material is so incredibly even. Still, "The Great Escape" is the obvious answer, since it's so long and still manages to be perfect from the first second to the last. But "King of Whitewater" and "The Black Parade" are not far behind.

I've always liked Edge Of My Blade. "Fear me pagan, I'm coming to end your life!" Sweet! :) Black Parade, Break The Silence, King Of Whitewater.

Impossible to narrow down, but here are a few of my absolute favourites: Waiting in the Wings, Not an Angel, Unbreakable, Wiseman, the Angelmaker.. Oh, and obviously.. the Great Escape!!

very hard to choose..... If I had to, I'd choose "Tears For A Father/A Day Away".

Got to say, that combo is my favourite too. In the other hand Black Parade is very memorable to me, cause I saw SW first time live in Åland december-08 and this was sets last song and I really was in flames and shout this song out loud. :)
King Of Whitewater is still my favourite in TGE.

I'm still too much of a newbie to really say, but I can say for sure that 'Edge Of My Blade' gets the most spins since weeks. The song has something, that makes me hit repeat quite often. :D

On MF I would pick out "Tears For A Father/A Day Away" too and for TGE it's... err... "The Angelmaker" I think.

Though choices, so I guess 'standout track' is not really fitting on any of them. The overall quality of the songs is what stands out, not a single song. :Spin:

offcourse it is The great escape

other than this outstanding track i love these songs: Star of david!!!, Paradise!, A day away!!, Hide and seek!!, Waiting in the wings!

I used to be incredibly fond of Banish the Wicked and The Edge of My Blade (and I still am!), but lately The Angelmaker's been my go-to song for when I want SW goodness. :D

It is very interesting to follow these discussions and it is great to see so many different favourites for everybody. However, as a consequence of that it gets increasingly difficult to please everyone since more and more people are joining us, each with his/her own oppinion.

Just as a purely hypothetical question, what would you like to see SW do more of in the future?

As a fanboy I could easily describe what elements I like and dislike about my favourite bands so perhaps you guys would be in a position to do the same? Like "these types of songs kinda bore me", "these parts are cool", "you should try playing more like this style for a song or two" etc....

-Would be cool to hear your thoughts!

Welcome to the forum, Andreas ;)

....Just as a purely hypothetical question, what would you like to see SW do more of in the future?

As a fanboy I could easily describe what elements I like and dislike about my favourite bands so perhaps you guys would be in a position to do the same? Like "these types of songs kinda bore me", "these parts are cool", "you should try playing more like this style for a song or two" etc....

What I would love to see from SW in the future is 5 guys creating music the way they have been doing for so many years now - I know that is the most dull answer possible but that is exactly the way I feel.
The way you guys have evolved has been amazing to see and experience and I'm sure Seventh Wonder's (continuing growth in) songwriting-capability will amaze people even more in the future.

The diversity between the songs and within the songs as well ('time changes', fast - slow parts) is of course something you should continue to do. The balance between the instruments has been perfect and it should continue to be that way - everybody shines on each album!
Use the backing-vocals the way you have been doing since MF. I know it is a lot of work/takes a lot of time for Tommy to create (and eventually sing) all those different melodies beneath the regular melodies but they are so damn amazing!!
Like the 'normal' amazing melodies, the backing-vocals really have become a Seventh Wonder trademark as well.

Bad and/or boring songs? Yeah, right :err:.
My least favourite SW-song (and that is exactly what I mean - it's still a very, very fine song) after all these years is 'Walking Tall'. The instrumental parts and the pre-chorus are great but the chorus is a bit bland. Could it be that it is a bit too simple compared to all the other magnificent choruses?
I'm sorry, I'm not a big help here but that is the only part I can think of off all the 30 songs (not counting 'Back In Time') from the last three albums.

'Cool parts'; where do I begin :).
First of all, I would like to say that I think (the more proggy) 'Break the Silence' and (the more straight forward) 'Hide and Seek' are among the best songs ever written. Why? The melodies are simply breathtaking. The huge (pre-)choruses are mindblowing. The backing-vocals are perfect. The instrumental parts/the melodies from the guitars and keyboard are stunning (ok, enough with all the adjectives now).

Cool parts;
- "God and Satan, hand in hand........"
- "Shine your light....."
- "Please, Tellus..."
- The epic ending of 'The Black Parade'
- The beginning of 'King of Whitewater': the keyboard/drum intro is amazing!!!
- Johan's very melodic solos in 'Long Way Home' and 'TGE' (the man's a 'riffing-monster' but he clearly shows here that he can play it all) .
- The bass-solos in 'Unbreakable' (I know you're not too fond of that one, but I love it!) and 'Move on Through'

I'll stop here cause this list can go on and on!

I'm not sure if I could be of any assistance here, Andreas.
There are a lot of bands I love which have parts of songs (or even whole songs) I dislike.
There simply are no real bad parts (not even the aforementioned chorus) in SW's music.
Keep doing what you do and like best....that is why Seventh Wonder is the best band in the world!

...Just as a purely hypothetical question, what would you like to see SW do more of in the future?

In a similar vein to what Kazer said, from my perspective, all i want and expect is more of the same. More superb ideas as to what you can do with your music next. There isn't an element of Seventh Wonder's music that i can fault. I love the lyrical concepts you use, and the mystery surrounding various interpretations of songs. I like the way you try to do something new with every album. The way every instrument in the band is as important as eachother, and finally how unpredictable the music is. I want each album to surprise me, and I want an album that i can listen to again and again, and discover something new about it each time. TGE had all these great elements and more.

King of Whitewater is probably my favorite, and A New Beginning has given me chills every time I've heard it.

It is very interesting to follow these discussions and it is great to see so many different favourites for everybody. However, as a consequence of that it gets increasingly difficult to please everyone since more and more people are joining us, each with his/her own oppinion.

Just as a purely hypothetical question, what would you like to see SW do more of in the future?

I suggest that you should be doing some jazz-, hiphop-, bluegrass- or traditional dance songs - THAT would be really interesting! :D

Maybe a cover of Britney Spears or Rebecca Black's Friday!!!!!!! Just kidding................... What I would want.... MORE BASS SOLOS!!!! And a tutorial video on how you use your right hand for the bass sweeps/runs! :) Even more guitar solos and more upbeat songs like Edge Of My Blade and Black Parade. What do I know though, I couldn't write any of your songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Seventh Wonder is pretty special in that there isn't really anything in the music you've got out I'd want to see less of. Even some of my other favourite bands like Dream Theater or Symphony X have a lot of amazing stuff but some other songs I could do without hearing more of. Choosing a least favourite song from the past 3 albums of Seventh Wonder is pretty difficult though, much more difficult than it is even for other bands I love.

Bearing that in mind, I'd say you've done the concept album perfectly (Mercy Falls) and the giant epic song perfectly (The Great Escape). So for me I guess instead of the concept or the 20+ minute song next time, I'd just like to see a few epics that don't go quite as far as TGE. Maybe one or two parts instead of loads. Something between Angelmaker and TGE :lol: It's songs like that that tend to be the "standout" songs for me, and I think a lot of other fans would love them too considering the reception of The Great Escape.

Like Kazar said before, SW should "only" keep on evolving the way it goes, writing exciting music. The only advice I could give Andreas is "play whatever you like" and (as I told somewhere before) don't be afraid to dare.

In my opinion a new album should always include:
1) something old
2) something new
3) something special

;)