Do you have a SW 'standout track'?

It is very interesting to follow these discussions and it is great to see so many different favourites for everybody. However, as a consequence of that it gets increasingly difficult to please everyone since more and more people are joining us, each with his/her own oppinion.

Just as a purely hypothetical question, what would you like to see SW do more of in the future?

As a fanboy I could easily describe what elements I like and dislike about my favourite bands so perhaps you guys would be in a position to do the same? Like "these types of songs kinda bore me", "these parts are cool", "you should try playing more like this style for a song or two" etc....

-Would be cool to hear your thoughts!

One thing I would really like to hear is a dark SW song. The diminished dark atmosphere given off by some of the riffs from Death of the Goddesses up until Dining on ashes are awesome. I would love a full length track with a grimer feel than usual. I feel that this dark build up multiplies 'The aftermath's heroic quality aswell so you can put in uber epic chorus parts.

So ye basically more of the same :p

It is very interesting to follow these discussions and it is great to see so many different favourites for everybody. However, as a consequence of that it gets increasingly difficult to please everyone since more and more people are joining us, each with his/her own oppinion.

Just as a purely hypothetical question, what would you like to see SW do more of in the future?

As a fanboy I could easily describe what elements I like and dislike about my favourite bands so perhaps you guys would be in a position to do the same? Like "these types of songs kinda bore me", "these parts are cool", "you should try playing more like this style for a song or two" etc....

-Would be cool to hear your thoughts!

Hi Andreas,

Personally there are a few SW songs that really blow me away.

From the WitW album that would be: Banish the Wicked and the Edge of my Blade. (Pieces is also pretty good)

From Mercy Falls: the whole concept around the album.... how the songs flow in each other. With words and sounds inbetween the songs. That makes this album zo damn good.
Also the vocal lines in Paradise are just amazing!
Tears for a father brings tears to my eyes and Welcome to Mercy Falls and the Black Parade are just great sing alongs for me.

On the Great Escape: the angelmaker is a very special song because of how the story is told and in my opinion Move on Through is the best song on this album! And i think thats all because of the atmosphere and the lyrics in the song. Also a VERY strong point on this album is the beginning part of King of Whitewater and the violin piece near the end!

These are probably my favorite SW songs.

There are also a few footnotes that i want to give you from my point of view.
I'll let Become, WitW and Mercy Falls excluded on this.

- the great escape: is a wonderfull epic song. But in my opinion to long or to boring (sorry for that word). There is just nothing wrong with the music or the lyrics.... but it's the atmosphere that just doesn't gives that epic story telling feel in this song. The song is just a good SW song in my opinion, but it didn't deserve to become 30 minutes long. I know you guys could do a lot better on a next epic. (Try to maybe add some more story telling things to the song. Like you did on the Mercy Falls album with all the sounds, and the words and the emotion.) I think that would have made the song more 30 minute worthy.

I also starting to miss the sound of WitW somehow? I don't really know why or how.... but everytime i think about WitW i get that summer feeling of the sun, burning trough the glass of my carwindow with me singing Banish the Wicked as hard as i can! The album makes me happy and gives me energy. The songs are very light and almost shiny.
Mercy Falls and the Great Escape however are pretty dark and heavy (not the music, but the atmosphere). Maybe it's beause of the CD cover of WitW that gives me that summer and happy feeling..... but i know you guys still share that sound.

For example, Move on Trough could easlily be a WitW song. Only with better production quality. And thats why i love that song so much!

Just on last side-note:
In the song the Angelmaker there is one little part, from 6:42 until 6:52 minutes that gives me a very double feeling. On one hand the part Tommy is singing is the best part of the whole song! But on the other hand.... the backing vocals on those little 10 seconds ruin it. "To what extend.... this angelmaker lied." It just doesn't fit as backing vocal part.

However ..... that's only my opinion.
I would love to hear a next SW album with the energy and flow of the WitW album, the sounds and emotions from the Mercy Falls album and the production and epicness from some of the Great Escape album songs!

You guys are still one of my all time favorite bands! :worship:

Thanks everybody for the comments.

You know, I get that from some of our fans, that there is a group of our fans who really hold WITW in the highest regard.
I am curious to figure out why that is so, not that I have a problem with it or anything, it is just that it would be interesting to know for future reference.

Could it be that it was the album that got you hooked? For me that is usually the case with bands I fell in love with, that I keep loving the first disc that cought me.
There was perhaps more of Johan's writing on that album than any other, so perhaps that shines through?
Perhaps it is also that it was somewhat less polished and "perfect" (for lack of a better word) back then?
I really don't know but it is great to have these discussions going on.

It is so hard to try to redo what you have once done, although I am sure many out there feel we are really repeating ourselves -but that just goes to show you that you can never please everybody all the time, right?

Anyway, I have a good feeling that the next SW album will sound very different for better or for worse, but then again, with the same people in there doing their thing -it is bound to sound like us anyway.

Ok, thanks again for your contributions!

You know, I get that from some of our fans, that there is a group of our fans who really hold WITW in the highest regard.
I am curious to figure out why that is so, not that I have a problem with it or anything, it is just that it would be interesting to know for future reference.

Could it be that it was the album that got you hooked? For me that is usually the case with bands I fell in love with, that I keep loving the first disc that cought me.
There was perhaps more of Johan's writing on that album than any other, so perhaps that shines through?
Perhaps it is also that it was somewhat less polished and "perfect" (for lack of a better word) back then?

It is so hard to try to redo what you have once done, although I am sure many out there feel we are really repeating ourselves -but that just goes to show you that you can never please everybody all the time, right?

Anyway, I have a good feeling that the next SW album will sound very different for better or for worse, but then again, with the same people in there doing their thing -it is bound to sound like us anyway.

Well, I got hooked on Mercy Falls first, and it might be my favorite, so there might be some truth to that. For me, I think the singing style in Mercy Falls and TGE is a bit softer than in WITW. I love all 3 albums for sheer variety. Just keep doing what you're doing.

My first SW record was indeed WITW but I have to admit that the next records are better. That's what astonish me, a band which can improve each new record that comes out. Should I compare "Become" and "The Great Escape", I would barely figure out it was the same band. You've done giant steps.

For the future plans, like I said before, once you've managed to make the *perfect prog metal album*, you can step to the next level.

I won't agree on that Frankgate,

Become indeed is a little bit the black sheep under the 4 albums. But thats also because Tommy isn't singing on that album.
And it was still somekind of an try-out album? They were not really settled in the music making like they are now.

But WitW just has that some sort of energy that drives the album!
Ofcourse, i like the light coloured cover and the artwork and WitW indeed was my first SW album.
And just to be honest, Mercy Falls is qualitatively a better album... the production is better, the songs are deeper, and the musicianship is also on a way higher level.

But were Mercy Falls and the Great Escape are letting me think and give me the deep feelings they want me to experience, WitW just makes me so Happy!
And yes, it has something to do with the sound i think? Perfectly polished isn't always the way to quality.

But i'm just one of the so many fans! Thank you for listening Andreas! :)

PS: Do you have any idea why i think Move on Trough would fit perfectly on WitW? ^^

I wish i could pin down a specific reason why WitW is so special to me, perhaps above the other albums. You are probably right; i suspect most regular forum posters, like myself, became a fan of SW with WitW. As far as the actual music content goes, I think it was the heavy bass influence, the imperfect production, the lengthy instrumental sections and the overall mid-tempo tone that really grabbed me at first.

I have always worried that defining the specific portions of a song or album that fans love may inadvertatenly take away from a bands natural creative ability, being that little unspoken voice in their consciousness that would cause them to ultimately write different music in future. Alternatively though, if i were in a band that had such a dedicated fanbase, i'd really appreciate getting feedback on what it is about the music that they love.

Having said all of that, i really don't care where SW go from here. As long as they play the music that they love, the fans will continue to listen. I can't think of anything tougher than trying to top previous achievements or appease long-term fans, but in the end, if every album is approached differently, you maintain your creative credibility and can justify your existence in the eyes of lovers/haters. Some people will love SW5, some will hate it; everyone will compare it to past releases. No amount of expert song-writing will change that i don't think. You look at bands on Metal-Archives and see reviews that range from 1% to 100% for the same album...how are you supposed to measure success based on that? Metal music, especially progressive, has never been about being popular or even relatively profitable. It's just about expressing yourself and seeing who wants to listen.

So what do i want to hear in SW5/6/7/X? Whatever the band is proud to release. Pop, Electronica, Funk, i don't really care. I'll like some, i'll dislike some; either way, i really can't wait :)

I did become a fan when WITW came out but I'm not one of those who's on 'the WITW-train' - who think that that album is SW's best.
I was blown away by it then and I love that album with all my heart.....but MF and TGE are bettter, in my opinion.

I love them all! But the standouts are Taint the Sky, Not an Angel, Tears for a Father, and King of Whitewater....not necessarily in that order, and all for very different personal reasons! The emotion in SW is incredible...I'm sure the next CD will be a shade different as well, as you guys are growing by leaps and bounds, but I am just as sure the emotional ties will still be there! :)

I've always liked Edge Of My Blade. "Fear me pagan, I'm coming to end your life!" Sweet! :)

That was actually the song that got me into SW for the first time.

My absolut favorite is however the great escape. It would be fun to know how many times i have listened to it and thereby how many hours i have spent with it. We have a relationship, borderline marriage i would say :)

My favourit album though is Mercy Falls. Its hard to put words on why, but i think the songs overall is a little bit better then on the other albums. The first 6 songs on TGE is not as good as on Mercy Falls imho.

As been said it´s i have a lot of trouble putting words on why, which is also the reason i can´t give any good thoughts on what i would ask for the future of SW. I just want you to keep using your talent couse it is for sure unique in every way.

Does anyone know where i can find some tour dates?

There are no tourdates yet, heavym!

The only confirmed gig so far is the headlining-show during ProgPower Europe (on friday the 30th of September in Baarlo, the Netherlands).