Do You Know???

Thats really cool that you got to chat with the late Steve Clark he was a great guitarist and sure the leppard guys are pretty cool to chat to as well.

I used to really like Alice in Chains a few years back, did you ever get to meet
Layne Stanley ?? i hear he was a great guy in 'real life' , he sure wrote some good lyrics!

Valanx - Cheltenham the place to be? Ha! Don't worry - you ain't missing anything! The live music scene was pretty much killed off here in the Nineties. We get the odd decent comedian doing a gig and that's about it! Cheltenham has apparently got a good nightlife and people from all over the midlands come here. But that's only if you think a good nightlife is loads of townie clubs!
All I can say is: apparently the word 'Chav' originates from Cheltenham.
All I can ask is that you pray for me!
RicknRoll - yeah, I've heard of 'Alice In Chains'. I think they had a couple of hits a few years back.
Nice how you bumped into the Def L lads in their early days. They moved on in the wrong direction for my liking, but they always seemed to be nice blokes. If only you could have told them these words when you met them in '81 - "Look into my eyes and concentrate. You are now under my power... Now, repeat after me... I must never sell out, I must never sell out, I must never sell out..."!

Hi valanx cool name, I never got to meet Layne but I did get to see a pre- Layne Alice in chains, at the time there were known as 'Diamond Lie', Layne was not with them at the time, the guitarist Jerry Cantrell was doing all the vocal work and writing, in fact they played a couple of songs that were on there Face Lift album it did not sound the same with Jerry siniging them but you new they were going to be good with the right vocalist

Yeah it was cool meeting and talking to Steve, Joe, and Rick from Def Leppard, funny about this was they were the same age as me and my mate
Royale we could Identify with each other straight away, not only as peer's but as musicians as well, me and my mate Royale were trying get are band going and they were a band that we kinda looked up to and to actually meet them was for the most part the coolist thing.

valanx said:
Thats really cool that you got to chat with the late Steve Clark he was a great guitarist and sure the leppard guys are pretty cool to chat to as well.

I used to really like Alice in Chains a few years back, did you ever get to meet
Layne Stanley ?? i hear he was a great guy in 'real life' , he sure wrote some good lyrics!

Nice one, RicknRoll! That's a nice story! And, now you mentioned it - Def L were only kids weren't they! I remember Joey Elliot sounding so young on stuff like 'Hello America'!
It must've been really uplifting having a chat to them if you were in a band yourself!

Thanks nightwar, yeah it was one night I will never forget, from the moment we entered that theater you knew something big was about to happen, I think the thing that blew my mate Royale and myself away was here were guys are own age imitating Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton, I for one was really impressed not only with the whole band but Steve and Pete Wilis in particular I remember that Gibson Explorer guitar was almost bigger then he (Pete) was but as soon as they hit that stage it was riff city from the get go.

In fact they did open with Hello America we just looked at each other and the only word to describe it was :OMG:

nightwar said:
Nice one, RicknRoll! That's a nice story! And, now you mentioned it - Def L were only kids weren't they! I remember Joey Elliot sounding so young on stuff like 'Hello America'!
It must've been really uplifting having a chat to them if you were in a band yourself!

Yeah that is a cool story Rickroll i can well imagine it as an unforgettable experience, early leppard had so much energy!

now i think im gonna root out some alice in chains! havent listened to them for a long time

Yeah - I think it is such a cool thing when you hear young musicians that are obviously inspired by your own taste in music.
Although I never became a huge Def Leppard fan, I really related to their earlier material. Espicially as they were so young, talented and, above all, British!!
No matter what anyone says - fair play, they cracked the USA and were commercially huge! I don't think there wasn't a teenage girl that did not have at least one of their albums during the late eighties!
And, I know what you mean, RicknRoll - it is a real reality check when you see people your own age on such a high ability of musicianship. But it does prove that you don't have to be as experienced as the Page's and Becks of this world to be a good guitar player etc.
What are Def L up to these days, anyhow? Are they still going? I kind of lost touch of them during that 'Animal' stage! God, I feel old!!!

Yes I agree I think after pyromania I lost interest but there early stuff was great On through the Night is brill I hear a lot of Led Zep influenece in that album on up thru Pyromania .

I'm not sure what they are doing as of lately something to look up as I surf the net.

Mind you tho' they don't hold a candle to the very band who's website we are posting on in fact I am wearing rather 'proudly' I must say, my Lion Heart tour shirt as write this post.

nightwar said:
Yeah - I think it is such a cool thing when you hear young musicians that are obviously inspired by your own taste in music.
Although I never became a huge Def Leppard fan, I really related to their earlier material. Espicially as they were so young, talented and, above all, British!!
No matter what anyone says - fair play, they cracked the USA and were commercially huge! I don't think there wasn't a teenage girl that did not have at least one of their albums during the late eighties!
And, I know what you mean, RicknRoll - it is a real reality check when you see people your own age on such a high ability of musicianship. But it does prove that you don't have to be as experienced as the Page's and Becks of this world to be a good guitar player etc.
What are Def L up to these days, anyhow? Are they still going? I kind of lost touch of them during that 'Animal' stage! God, I feel old!!!

Yeah, RicknRoll! Led Zepp, Def Leppard, Maiden and, dare i say it, Priest and AC/DC don't quiet do it for me in the same way as Saxon does! I can't explain why, but I just seem to have a relation with Saxon more than any other band! I like to think that I've got a pretty broad taste in Rock - Rush, Pink Floyd, Early Genesis, The Police, Bowieetc. I got into most of these artists way before I even heard my first Saxon song. But, if I could only take one band's catologue of music with me to a desert island, Saxon stuff would be it!