Do you need your fix?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
While reading through the "What is the best CD of all time?" thread, I came across DT Jesus' post about Fate's Warning's "Parallels" and his comment about it being an disc without flaw. It occurred to me that I hadn't spun it in forever. So, before I left for work, I ripped it to my iPod. It blew me away... again. It also made me wonder...

Clearly the internet has been integral to Metal's survival. The ability to find new music, read reviews, and get recommendations from Metal fans from all over this spinning sphere, has kept this genre on life support while it regained its strength. However, I find that I'm spending more time looking for great music than actually listening great music. I've listened to hundreds and hundreds of CDs this year, endlessly searching for the next great disc. And it occurs to me, I spend at least as much time listening to music I hate, as I do listening to music I love. Am I alone? Or are others afflicted with this condition?

Zod

I'm actually afflicted with a bit of the opposite, I spend so much time listening to the music I love I rarely bother trying to discover anything new.

I go through phases of seeking out new music. However, I usually listen at work using AutoDJ, and letting the program (MusicMatch) select from my 70 gbs of music. That pretty much gives me a steady diet of new and old.

Steve in Philly

Clearly the internet has been integral to Metal's survival. The ability to find new music, read reviews, and get recommendations from Metal fans from all over this spinning sphere, has kept this genre on life support while it regained its strength. However, I find that I'm spending more time looking for great music than actually listening great music. I've listened to hundreds and hundreds of CDs this year, endlessly searching for the next great disc. And it occurs to me, I spend at least as much time listening to music I hate, as I do listening to music I love. Am I alone? Or are others afflicted with this condition?

Zod

I know we dont have the same tastes in music but yeap I suffer from this as well.

And I agree 100% about the internet being responsible for the majority of Metal's survival.

I agree that I have been listening to far too many cds this year and not being blown away from the quality.

Zod, I see what you're saying, but I don't think I'm in your situation. I more or less focus on small quantities of music and buying the things I like when I can afford it. That's a very slow way of doing things, but I don't get over whelmed either. With that said, people like you turn me onto stuff that I may never have heard of.

Zod, I'm the same way. I am constantly searching for that 'great band.' The one that seriously kicks my ass. Thus, I end up listening to a lot of crappy music. I'll actually follow myspace banners and listen to groups for a song or two. I really do enjoy it though. Even if its bad, at least I gave it a chance. And sometimes you come across some real gems, ones that make it worth it. Luckily this board has been turning more and more into one that pushes some smaller bands.

This thought occurred to me a year or so back, so I've made an effort to not do so. :err: Well, ok, I've cut it back to about 75-25, but no doubt, I listen to about 4 albums a day that I like for everyone one that I consider a Top 10 disk from any year. The cost of listening to a lot of music, I guess, is that you most of the time are listening to stuff that is merely good, not great. (I tend to filter out most stuff that I know I won't like after one or two songs).

Depends. When I first discovered this scene, it had been a few years since I'd heard good metal(I was introduced to it in the late 80s). So ANYTHING I bought sounded awesome becuase it was metal.

But I got pickier as time went on. Still not as picky as you, Zod, but now maybe half the albums I buy I like these days. Although lately I've had some good luck.

I don't really have that problem yet. I think maybe my tastes aren't as restrictive as yours (or I just don't listen to as much new music as you). I do sometimes worry about becoming jaded though. That worries me. I don't want to get to the point where I won't listen to music that's *pretty good* because it's not as good as some of the great stuff I listen to.

I kind of have the opposite prob. I am not as finicky (sp?) with bands. I like quite a few bands that sound similar or are even nu-metal. So I usually end up with albums I havent even listened to, but I heard they were good at least once.

The search never stops. However, I never buy blind (well, almost never) so I usually have an idea of what I'm getting. Unfortunately many bands put forth their very best for samplers and soundclips.

Also, many reviewers and posters tend to be a bit overzealus in their ratings and praise. I think the words "Incredible," "Amazing," "Awsome," and "Unbelievable" are the most over used words in metal.

The end result that is I don't get much that I hate, but a fair amount of generic discs that are adequate but uninspired.

The search never stops. However, I never buy blind (well, almost never) so I usually have an idea of what I'm getting. Unfortunately many bands put forth their very best for samplers and soundclips.

Also, many reviewers and posters tend to be a bit overzealus in their ratings and praise. I think the words "Incredible," "Amazing," "Awsome," and "Unbelievable" are the most over used words in metal.

The end result that is I don't get much that I hate, but a fair amount of generic discs that are adequate but uninspired.

I agree, I hear so many people go apeshit over things that I end up finding generic that it actually hinders my enjoyment of the music because it isn't as mindblowing as it was presented to me as being. The overhype factor sometimes brings down a good disk to a mediocre one in my eyes and I feel that's unfortunate.

At this point I've sort of settled into listening to albums from bands I already know and enjoy. After a while I get a bit burnt out (no pun intended?) on the constant pursuit of finding something new to listen to. Also, I kind of enjoy just sitting back and rediscovering CDs or bands I haven't listened to in a while, as you did with the Fates Warning disc.

I don't really have that problem yet. I think maybe my tastes aren't as restrictive as yours (or I just don't listen to as much new music as you). I do sometimes worry about becoming jaded though. That worries me. I don't want to get to the point where I won't listen to music that's *pretty good* because it's not as good as some of the great stuff I listen to.

I find myself doing that occasionally...I keep going back to my favorites because, well....I know I love them. Unfortunately, that sometimes keeps me from discovering a great new disc (new=new to me), even though I may have already bought it. <laughs>

For example, I bought Sun Caged over six months before I *really* listened to it and realized what a great disc it is...I've done that with many others. I bought over a dozen CDs at ProgPower 7, but I've been so blown away by Zero Hour's "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" that I've hardly given any of the others more than one or two spins. I've listened to the two Mindflow discs I bought enough to tell that they're really good (ditto Prymary's "Tragedy of Innocence"), but I keep drifting back to the new Zero Hour.

In fact, last night I made two MP3 CDs (my 4Runner plays them) of stuff I've bought in the last few months but hardly listened so that I'm more likely to give them a proper spin...two CDs containing twenty hours of music I've bought but hardly heard. :lol:

Craig

The search never stops. However, I never buy blind (well, almost never) so I usually have an idea of what I'm getting.
I'm with you. There are just too many CDs released and subsequently praised to buy everything that gets a little positive word of mouth.

I think the words "Incredible," "Amazing," "Awsome," and "Unbelievable" are the most over used words in metal.
Agreed. Add the words "genius" and "brilliant" to that list.

Zod

Add the words "genius" and "brilliant" to that list.
Zod

Noted and added.

Reading through the tread I notice a few people prefer to stick with familiar artists. I have to note that I don't even buy blind releases from familar bands. Some of the most disappointing CD's I have are followups to previously brilliant albums, or usually consistant established favorite bands.

I listen more to music that I love. If something new pops in then it is by chance. A lot of the new music I am listening to I get from this forum. A lot of bands I already knew if and some I have always been curious about plus a lot of new bands.

What is interesting is alot of "Great Music" is older music. It could be because of whatever state of mind we were in when it came out or it is just just Great Music.

Noted and added.

Reading through the tread I notice a few people prefer to stick with familiar artists. I have to note that I don't even buy blind releases from familar bands. Some of the most disappointing CD's I have are followups to previously brilliant albums, or usually consistant established favorite bands.

Add guitar/keyboard wizard.