Do you Remember

Metman

Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan
Jan 19, 2006
Long Island
Do you recall the First Progressive cd you boought ????

Me:: Riverside--Out of Myself..2003..........

Do you recall the First Progressive cd you boought ????

Me:: Riverside--Out of Myself..2003..........

Yes I do............LASERS EDGE.... When I was at Tibo-Tech in Bridgewater NJ ,Another J&J Site..( Did I score points with that Answer)
Before that I was listening to ""Classic Rock""

Reactions: lasercd
Geez....I started early. My Dad drove me to the record store and I spent my accumulated allowance and extra chore money on ELP's "Welcome Back My Friends...." in 1975 or '76. I was in 5th grade. The store had the big tri-fold LP cover up on the wall and that got my attention. It was one of the first albums I ever bought(Kiss Alive and Bowie's Station to Station were the others). Played it relentlessly on my crappy record player with the built-in speakers on the side.

I got Rush's Hemispheres in 1978 and started my long-time worship of that band. I owned in in vinyl, cassette, CD(in at least 3 forms), and now hi-res digital.

For pure, unadulterated prog metal, it would be DT's "Images and Words", sometime around 1994 or 1995. I read an article about Mike Portnoy in Modern Drummer magazine, and it was lauding his playing on that disc, so I went out and bought it.

Well if you want to go back that far, I never heard of Progressive Rock until I heard of ..Lasers Edge.,Kenesis etc...Never releized that ELP, Genesis, Rush etc was classafied as Prog Rock... Im 64 & I dont think the Term Prog. Rock was used...( Or was It ) ????

Well if you want to go back that far, I never heard of Progressive Rock until I heard of ..Lasers Edge.,Kenesis etc...Never releized that ELP, Genesis, Rush etc was classafied as Prog Rock... Im 64 & I dont think the Term Prog. Rock was used...( Or was It ) ????

Oh yeah- Yes, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Gentle Giant were considered "The Big 6" of prog rock, so it goes back to the late 60's/ early 70's. I'd throw post-Syd Barrett Pink Floyd in there as well.

My introduction to music I still listen to today, was one of those 70's K-TEL compilations called "HEAVY METAL"
It featured one song each from bands Yes, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, ect....
It was a 2 album set. I seem to remember buying this, so I could get "Radar Love" by Golden Earring

sot702us.jpg

My first Prog album was Yes- Yessongs.

Last edited:
You are all making me feel like the young'in round these parts.

I'm definitely on the heavier side of the spectrum, and I believe the first band to really get me started in this genre was listening to Dream Theater - Train of Thought around 2004-2005 (freshman year of college). Quickly after that I discovered Symphony X, and maybe a year later I REALLY got into Opeth, which really opened my eyes to a genre I never, ever expected to listen to. I always considered these bands my "big three" as they laid the foundation of my musical tastes and marked the turning point of me taking music as a hobby and turning it into a passion. I'll always hold them in high regard for that, even if their recent output has been...inconsistent, in my opinion (specifically Dream Theater and Opeth).

It's interesting to look back because I used to listen to rap music exclusively (following in the footsteps of my older brother). Now it's strictly progressive metal, melodic death metal, and progressive death metal.

Last edited:
You are all making me feel like the young'in round these parts.

I'm definitely on the heavier side of the spectrum, and I believe the first band to really get me started in this genre was listening to Dream Theater - Train of Thought around 2004-2005 (freshman year of college). Quickly after that I discovered Symphony X, and maybe a year later I REALLY got into Opeth, which really opened my eyes to a genre I never, ever expected to listen to. I always considered these bands my "big three" as they laid the foundation of my musical tastes and marked the turning point of me taking music as a hobby and turning it into a passion. I'll always hold them in high regard for that, even if their recent output has been...inconsistent, in my opinion (specifically Dream Theater and Opeth).

It's interesting to look back because I used to listen to rap music exclusively (following in the footsteps of my older brother). Now it's strictly progressive metal, melodic death metal, and progressive death metal.

Check out:

Anathema & Katalonia

I remember the first progressive vinyl I bought: Yes - Going for the One way back in 1977
The first CD would have been King Crimson - Lizard whenever I got my first CD player around the mid-1980's
I can still remember the day going into the store which had very little Prog, then finding the KC disc to my delight.

My introduction was YES in the 70's
Then in the 80's I was BLOWN away by Marillion!

My first progressive rock/metal album was Dream Theater's Images and Words. A friend of mine lent me a cassette..He said "you will be mind blown by this". And the rest is history....

Before I was listening to Santana, Rod Stewart, Aerosmith...classic rock ....Before that and please don't judge me (LOL), MC Hammer, New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice...WTF was I thinking!!

My first progressive rock/metal album was Dream Theater's Images and Words. A friend of mine lent me a cassette..He said "you will be mind blown by this". And the rest is history....

Before I was listening to Santana, Rod Stewart, Aerosmith...classic rock ....Before that and please don't judge me (LOL), MC Hammer, New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice...WTF was I thinking!!

You Forgot The Pet Shop Boys & Wham....