do you use Mid-Side recording?

exoslime

Nov 11, 2008
Austria
i just read the blog at universal audio site about mid-side recording:
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording

and i pretty much got interested in that now, as i currently record a radio rockish power ballad song with lots of acoustic guitars..during the intro and first verse, and of course i have doubletracked the acoustic guitar tracks, but no matter how tight i try to play it, there is some slightly ping-pong like effect going on between right and left source.

This weekend i try to make a M-S recording of one acoustic guitar (the main rhythmn guitar), the theory sounds pretty interesting, i will see how it works out ina real-world situation

For what sources do you prefer/use M-S Recording?

cheers
exoslime

it is really awsome , quite a hassle if you dont have a ms matrix.

btw if you all like m/s try double ms basically its a figure of 8 in the middle with a cardiod on each side that doesnt get picked up

used to use it A LOT.
but then it got less and less...usually I set up two stereo pairs, one of them MS...and more and more often the M/S ended up being dropped from the mix, so I don't really bother anymore.

an exeption is when I'm recording piano or so that'll be played in the radio a lot (peffect mono compatibility)

Been playing around with it lately. Really liking it on acoustics and drums. Tried it on a choir and felt the spaced pair suited better.
It's piss easy to set up too. I shied away from it for a long time for fear of not doing it right and messing up a session, then one day decided to go for it in a session with a guide open on my computer. Had it up and running in minutes.

I need to get a figure 8 pattern mic so i can do this again. I used to do this with some cascade ribbon mics in the old studio I worked at. Great on drums!

thanks for all your inputs, i fooled around with some m-s recording this weekend, and i think i got some quite good results, at least i like it and i think it fits quite good in the mix :)
I have used an AKG C451B as mid Microphone, and an AKG C414 on the side.

and as you have mentioned before, the mono compatiblity is a winner :)