Does anybody know what melodic hardcore is?

xTomx

Oct 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
Every other post I see called 'Melodic hardcore' in the 'Rate my mix' forum is just metalcore with the occasional fast part or stealing For The Fallen Dreams riffs note for note (unsure why would want to:bah:) that seems to be made for an audience of 14-year old girls.

Has anybody on here heard of Modern Life Is War, Give Up The Ghost, Verse?! :yell:

I know the whole genre pigeon holing thing can be tedious, but I actually play in a melodic hardcore band (e.g no breakdowns) and we get lumped in with all these garbage bands ripping off For The Fallen Dreams who ripped off Misery Signals who ripped off Shai Hulud etc, etc.

comeback kid
bane
verse
have heart
the effort
the carrier
sinking ships

dont get me started

but there are some newschool hardcore bands out there which are truly influenced by melodic hardcore.

Check out:

hundreth
the ghost inside (some songs like shiner, between the lines and stuff)

But I think you are right, all the drop-A stuff with some leadguitar high-notes and dissonant breakdowns is metalcore/newschool and has nothing to do with what I understand under "melodic hardcore"

It Prevails is the the only metalcore-ish melodic hardcore band I like, and that was before they implemented singing into every song. The Inspiration is an awesome album, only clean singing on one song. Comeback Kid are great as well, truly roots influenced hardcore.

Modern Life Is War is some of the only hardcore I ever enjoyed.
Great band

I'm glad you made this thread! I'm in the same boat. My area is filled with bands who are convinced that what they're playing is melodic hardcore, but they're just very watered down metalcore "bands". I'm going to have to shamelessly plug my band: http://www.facebook.com/#!/myfictionsband?v=app_178091127385. I guess it's relevant enough since I did all the recordings. You might dig it if you like defeater and/or la dispute among others. Either way, I'm not a genre stickler either, but some things don't deserve to be overshadowing some other things that take a little more heart to create. Screamo is another label that has been used so incorrectly for the past 8-10 years. It does seem to be making a healthy resurgence though. Bottom line for me is, just be passionate about what you do. Music is a self expressive art form and there are many different ways to create it and express it, but it has to come from the heart. You should feel connected to your music beyond the money you think you might be able to make from it and the fashion sense it dictates.

I'm glad you made this thread! I'm in the same boat. My area is filled with bands who are convinced that what they're playing is melodic hardcore, but they're just very watered down metalcore "bands". I'm going to have to shamelessly plug my band: http://www.facebook.com/#!/myfictionsband?v=app_178091127385. I guess it's relevant enough since I did all the recordings. You might dig it if you like defeater and/or la dispute among others. Either way, I'm not a genre stickler either, but some things don't deserve to be overshadowing some other things that take a little more heart to create. Screamo is another label that has been used so incorrectly for the past 8-10 years. It does seem to be making a healthy resurgence though. Bottom line for me is, just be passionate about what you do. Music is a self expressive art form and there are many different ways to create it and express it, but it has to come from the heart. You should feel connected to your music beyond the money you think you might be able to make from it and the fashion sense it dictates.

This thread has re-assured my faith in humanity haha.

I totally agree with what you said about Screamo, now all that 'Escape The Fate' crap is dying out and bands like Touche Amore and La Dispute are getting better known people seem to be using the term correctly again now :cool:

Today I was chatting with the guitar player of a band I tracked in december.
We talked about a new session and stuff.

I asked him if they change the tuning because dissonant breakdowns and emmure-style parts suck major ass in d-dropped.

He replied to me : "nah dude, we wont change the tuning. But we will only have one or two parts like that in the melodic hardcore songs"

besides that. The band is playing 90% of the time trash and deathmetal.....

Modern Life Is War is some of the only hardcore I ever enjoyed.
Great band

Gareth check out the hope conspiracy. I think you realy gonna like the band.
It is somehow part melodic hardcore but its more like converge in straight with understandable vocals.

Kurt is also doing their last 2 full length and he realy brings out the real vibe of the band.

This band is all about emotions and totaly anti modern trends of modern music.

the hope conspiracy - death knows you name

is imo one of the most epic peaces of modern art (in hardcore)

You guys should look up Continuance, fucking GREAT band. Look up the album "Carry Ourselves".

Yeah, the singer took getting used to, his voice is shot from his previous band. I learned to love it though, the album is great.

The farther people get from the source, the more cloudy and ill-defined the terms start to become.

If you want to know what real hardore sounded like, then go back to the beginning. Listen to SSD, Negative Approach, and Minor Threat. That should give you a good idea of what hardcore is supposed to sound like.

The farther people get from the source, the more cloudy and ill-defined the terms start to become.

If you want to know what real hardore sounded like, then go back to the beginning. Listen to SSD, Negative Approach, and Minor Threat. That should give you a good idea of what hardcore is supposed to sound like.

HELL YES. Kids these days have no idea what hardcore is.