does anyone have a clue of the production of the At the Gates Slaughter of the Soul?

mephisto_loh

Green Tea Member
Dec 9, 2009
www.myspace.com
Hi Guys,
I'm sitting at work and i just started to listen the Slaughter of the Soul Album and it has a so fucking good raw and tight sound.
does anybody has any clues about the production?
How and with what gear was recorded?

I had a dvd that came part of the anniversery edition..I cant find it though.I think there was a custom built guitar cab with some old peavy head..

Drummer developed a style that would allow him to hit hard and consistent. No click track also.

Old Peavey guitar combo (with a blown speaker).

Mixed on a Mackie 8 Bus.

That album is testimony that you do not need an SSL to get great results.

Most of all great players. I cannot stress that enough. Its all about the players and knowing when you have a great take and knowing when to go again. Combined with a phenomenal amount of effort/skill/expertise from Fred to get the best from the players.

If I remember correctly they recorded it through Anders' homebuilt guitar cab with 2 12" and 2 10" speakers, I don't know which ones were used. And yeah, that album is testimony that you can get amazing sounding very tight albums without editing the hell out of them and having the most fancy gear in the world. It was recorded on tape. When Tompa Lindberg's "suicide, suicide, suicide..." vocals fade in during Suicide Nation he actually ran from outside the studio into the studio while screaming Suicide to get the fading effect.

looks like the video is a few years old, last time i checked he only had a digidesign console (command 24 or c24, who knows) in there and no real mixing desk. must have been shot before he switched to all ITB it seems.

Yep, new premises now, Digi ICON desk. All ITB for recall sake, defiantly not for the sonic's. He prefers analogue.

No click track? Just shows how great of musicians they were and how bad musicians are now.

Fredman uses a D-command, Digi 192 converters, Digi preamps + Vintech preamps. He sold he's old Amek desk when they moved last year to a new studio in Gothenburg. Mix ITB, uses Waves SSL and Tc electronics plugins allot. Oh yes, it was about slaughter of souls... :loco:

I think the label "forced" him to buy a 16channel tape recorder for this album, think this was his first big label release.
And that video is recorded in Fredmans second studio, not IF studios (which was his first)

Fredman uses a D-command, Digi 192 converters, Digi preamps + Vintech preamps. He sold he's old Amek desk when they moved last year to a new studio in Gothenburg. Mix ITB, uses Waves SSL and Tc electronics plugins allot. Oh yes, it was about slaughter of souls... :loco:

I think the label "forced" him to buy a 16channel tape recorder for this album, think this was his first big label release.
And that video is recorded in Fredmans second studio, not IF studios (which was his first)

It was actually a 24 track. I own the At The Gates 3 Pack DVD, very interesting stuff.

I didn't watch the video, but I read recently they used a snare and kick sample from two different albums to blend in with the drums

No click track?? those are the tightest motherfuckers I´ve ever seen then! That album is so tight it´s scary! Man I would give a limb to see them live, but I was still stuck in Shitnezuela when the reunion happened. I can only see the 3 dvd pack (which is brilliantly awesome) and sigh at the live concert at wacken

I didn't watch the video, but I read recently they used a snare and kick sample from two different albums to blend in with the drums

It was either the Vulgar Display of Power or Cowboys From Hell kick, I don't remember off the top of my head.