Does anyone here make their own cables?

Frankzappaisgod

New Metal Member
Dec 7, 2007
I am thinking of making my own cables as it seems that's the best way to get a high quality cable. What connector/cables do you use if you make your own? I am not the best at soldering in the world, but the soldering for cables doesn't seem like it'd be too bad.

Mogami and Canare cables and typically Neutrik brand connectors. Soldering really isn't hard at all, just make some practice runs, only way to get the hang of it is to jump in and try. My first studio job I had never soldered in my entire life, one of my first duties as the new apprentice/intern was to take like 150 xlr/trs/ts cables and break them down, make fresh ends and resolder them all back together then test them all. After the first couple it was easy :)

Really good source for cable/connectors is www.redco.com, that's where I order from.

~006

Wow dude, I just got done talking to my friend who works at best buy. His discount on monster cables is unreal. The $50 21 foot monster cable is $7 or something to him. I am probably just going to buy a set of cables from him for now. Monster cable is highly over rated, but I am sure it's plenty good for gigging. I'd rather tear up my monster cables gigging than a mogami or something I made that costed way way more.

IF you can get Monster for that cheap, then - and I can't believe I'm saying this - go for the Monster. BUT...otherwise, fuggedaboutit

Yeah, DIY XLR cables rule, but I think I'm still gonna buy premade instrument cables, cuz I trust Planet Waves construction to be more durable than my own ham-fistedness :erk:

Learn how to make them yourself. Save a ton of money and have the highest quality stuff. Monster cables aren't that great.

I learned how to do it so I could wire up my rack aand make it neat so it wasn't like spaghetti back there. Custom made each one exactly as long as I needed and I had to make a ton. All mogami and neutrik. All in all about $150 for all the supplies to make these and I still have a lot left over.

rackback.jpg

damnm. That's nice and tidy looking

I was mostly just trying to keep as many power cables as I could away from signal cables, and make it easier to pull a cable if something went wrong. I've attempted that with 10 cables all tangled up and I wanted to set the whole fucking thing on fire. :p

I've seen people who did a way better job still, but that's the best I could do before I was ready to be done.

Learn how to make them yourself. Save a ton of money and have the highest quality stuff. Monster cables aren't that great.

I learned how to do it so I could wire up my rack aand make it neat so it wasn't like spaghetti back there. Custom made each one exactly as long as I needed and I had to make a ton. All mogami and neutrik. All in all about $150 for all the supplies to make these and I still have a lot left over.

rackback.jpg

i feel all dirty now :mad:

rackback.jpg

Dude I saw your rack over at HC. Very fucking impressed. :worship:

They would be awesome for mic cables, so when you throw cables across the room and hit asshole bandmates in the face, they can plug it up like a fucking retard and still be RIGHT. Then when they do fuck it up, you can be even more ANGRRRRYYYY because it's that much harder to fuck up.

Cool so Cordial are good then! I've got a few leads of theirs with neutrix connectors and never had an issue with them, but was unsure of whether to buy a massive roll of their cable for making up leads myself. When I finish college next summer I'm gonna buy a big roll and a load of connectors- the saving you make is unreal and can make small handy patch leads too. Haven't seen mogmai and a few other names that get mentioned with cables in many european shops that ship to places like ireland