Does anyone know much about band Managers?

Lunella

☽❤☪
Jun 25, 2016
England
xlunella.tumblr.com
I've been reading about this within the last month here and there, so just wondering what kind of stuff is required? I mean I don't have a fucking bachelors degree for it but I doubt a lot of actual metal band managers even do. It'd be cool to read about peoples actual band management experiences and such though, if anyone has any.

I'd presume it's mostly managing finance and talking to the bank a lot and booking gigs at places everywhere and sorting flights / inner travel / hotels / figuring out luggage & equipment transportation.

I mean, I can manage a company so I'd presume band management would be about the same difficulty just very different. But someone with as many creative skills as me - I'd save a shitload of money on stuff because I can already do most of it myself.

I've always wanted to do something in regards with a band and I have like photoshop master skills behind me, professional photography / media qualifications / advertising qualifications / serious video editing experience and plenty of connections to get whatever I want. Not only that but I'm the most organized person I know, I think I have organizational OCD haha.

I think it'd be fun getting to go with the band you're passionate about and making sure everything runs smoothly and making sure the band members themselves are eating right and have plenty of whatever they need. I guess it's like rounding up a group of hyper kids and making sure they're okay and do as they're told haha. Of course I bet it can be frustrating as hell when things don't go the way they should be, but then that just means you need good problem solving skills.

After reading about it, you need a lot of music industry knowledge which is my main downfall, there'd be a lot to learn about that.

I don't think that I would want to get into this business because you often have to keep the band from tearing each other apart too, according to everything that I've ever heard.

I don't think that I would want to get into this business because you often have to keep the band from tearing each other apart too, according to everything that I've ever heard.

Think it depends on if you're with a bunch of people who act like teenagers still, I'd definitely not go near a much younger band.
It's not like it's impossible to find cool people who also want to get involved in having a band manager.

I've had a rummage around via Facebook, seem to of found a couple of halfway decent ones already interested locally so that's quite cool.
Since making the thread I had a few chats with some band managers, they say there's a lot to consider but if you can handle booking everything it's not that hard, but the actual tour managing can be because you're basically the lead roadie and have to make sure everything is planned properly and everyone has a job to do.

I know next to nothing about this subject and my opinion is pure conjecture, but personally I'd prefer to manage a younger band. I reckon a lot of older bands are like old married couples; lots of bitching and repressed resentment, and very little fun.

It depends on the band though, I guess. Underground bands that have been going for years probably only stay together if the chemistry works, as money won't be an issue. Whatever you do, just don't end up managing Metallica.

Reactions: Lunella
I know next to nothing about this subject and my opinion is pure conjecture, but personally I'd prefer to manage a younger band. I reckon a lot of older bands are like old married couples; lots of bitching and repressed resentment, and very little fun.

It depends on the band though, I guess. Underground bands that have been going for years probably only stay together if the chemistry works, as money won't be an issue. Whatever you do, just don't end up managing Metallica.

I see. Same here really but all you can do is progress and learn, if you're not learning in life what the fuck are you doing? nothing. Imo.

Teenagers I don't think I could cope with honestly. Anything around 25 ideally. Old men, they tend to be stuck up, I agree with you on the much older ones. Although it really does depend on the people I guess, I mean you can get 40+ and they still have a ton of energy and motivation.

Deep underground bands I'd likely stay away from, anything black metal can sod off. I'd love a fusion band actually, something hard to put a genre on which change it up a lot, seen that getting more popular lately. I mean if you're not bogged down to one genre the possibilities of what you can do/dabble in are endless and someones guaranteed to like at least a few songs.

The manager I was talking to said the best way to become a manager is literally just find a band who are just starting out who clearly have some talent and become their friend, present your skills and grow/learn with them, so figure I'll just do that lol.

Deep underground bands I'd likely stay away from, anything black metal can sod off.

Reconsider that, a black metal live set up would probably be loads of fun to put together. It must take some serious interpersonal skills to convince someone to be crucified stark naked in front of a live audience:

1292067745_3.png

You'd probably get some funny looks when placing your weekly goat head order, too.

Hahaha! I dunno, would be funny trying to be kvlt as fuck tho.
The reason I'm not keen on black metal shows is cause they seem more dangerous and look like more shit could fuck up, plus the fans are a bit more aggressive looking, so if they break something we'd have to pay for it. Thinking as a manager I'm like ehhh, responsible for all that I guess.