Does anyone know what the My Arms, Your Hearse story is about???

"but we all know by now...I am just thin air."

AHHH!!!!! MAYH -my absolute favorite opeth album, and quite possibly because the lyrics and that little story...

what cant you get?
i think past a certain point, its so...i dont know its like to me theres this basic story, and beyond what you get from the story- that becomes rather subjective.
but then again i suck at interpreting lyrics so maybe that 'subjective' shit is just an excuse for me! ; P

I believe the story is something about a postal worker who is wandering around delivering the mail and the challenges he encounters. The story is cleverly woven into the lyrics, but more obvious in certain parts like:
'The gate was closed that day, but I was bound to carry on..'
and the part of the story where he is mugged, 'Run away, run away, just one second, and I was left with nothing'

There are continuous references to the futility of a mailman's labours, as the words are 'written in dust' And a running reference to the postal workers' oath (rain snow sun or shine...)in the lyrical flow of the album starting in spring and ending in winter. In fact the album starts off with the sound of falling rain, which makes the listener aware of the protagonists plight: even though the weather's crap, he's still got to go out and deliver. THe album ends on a similar note in epilogue, when we are reminde of the long thankless hours mailmen must work (the sunrise that never came).

That's about all I've been able to read into it, but I'm sure with a bit of time, the story will show itself to you.

Originally posted by luke
I believe the story is something about a postal worker who is wandering around delivering the mail and the challenges he encounters. The story is cleverly woven into the lyrics, but more obvious in certain parts like:
'The gate was closed that day, but I was bound to carry on..'
and the part of the story where he is mugged, 'Run away, run away, just one second, and I was left with nothing'

There are continuous references to the futility of a mailman's labours, as the words are 'written in dust' And a running reference to the postal workers' oath (rain snow sun or shine...)in the lyrical flow of the album starting in spring and ending in winter. In fact the album starts off with the sound of falling rain, which makes the listener aware of the protagonists plight: even though the weather's crap, he's still got to go out and deliver. THe album ends on a similar note in epilogue, when we are reminde of the long thankless hours mailmen must work (the sunrise that never came).

That's about all I've been able to read into it, but I'm sure with a bit of time, the story will show itself to you.

:lol:

Yeah, I had a great laugh over the mailman interpretation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I personally prefer the ghost theory though. It's one of the most amazing albums lyrically... I'm enchanted.