Does anyone want to hear my theory?

HemiGTX

Jul 3, 2002
Wa. State
Do you people want to hear my theory on the theme behind Enemies of Reality? I could be wrong, but I talked to one of the board members already...I'd like to hear what the board thinks too.... What ideas do you have?

You know I don't make threads very often, or at all....so here's my contribution to a few Nevermore related threads...

Do you have your own ideas? What are they?

I think the theme is that it's about the pitfalls of being in the Music industry. And that the recording industry is the Reality. And the Enemy is the band. Although they are part of that reality as well. There's the push/pull dynamics, love/hate, antoganistic/protangonistic themes.

All about being musicians, record labels, fellow musicians, the industry, the fans. Hence the love hate. It's their love, but also their hate.

Truth is subjective, and the media only tells or shows us half (less than that) the picture. We process this information based on our own experiences. But, a record label (for instance) is part of the Media. They have propaganda (so to speak) to pass around.

It seems clear to me. But, I could be wrong too.

Yes, I agree with your theory. But, there can be a lot of theories. Yours is very good though. :D And your avatar.....GENIUS! :lol: :lol:

HemiGTX said:
I think the theme is that it's about the pitfalls of being in the Music industry. And that the recording industry is the Reality. And the Enemy is the band. Although they are part of that reality as well. There's the push/pull dynamics, love/hate, antoganistic/protangonistic themes.

All about being musicians, record labels, fellow musicians, the industry, the fans. Hence the love hate. It's their love, but also their hate.

Truth is subjective, and the media only tells or shows us half (less than that) the picture. We process this information based on our own experiences. But, a record label (for instance) is part of the Media. They have propaganda (so to speak) to pass around.

It seems clear to me. But, I could be wrong too.

This is a very good theory and it sounds a lot like what I understood but I think that EoR is less specific than that. I think that EoR is about being a rebel, going against the grind... Having ideals other than those of the public...

WHen you say it's a polar struggle between good/bad... love/hate ... antagonist/protagonist... I also agree with you because of the various mood swings between the songs...

All in all, like DNB and Dead Heart, this album this fucking depressive!

I rather thought it tied in with the whole drug philosophy, there was an excellent article posted here a few months back but I can't remember where it was. I think if I did a search on Timothy Leary I could find it.

I kind of had two thoeries.

1. reality is sobrity (not that nevermore is completely againts sobrity). When you're fucked up you don't have to deal with reality. How ever that doesn't flow well wit the last 2 songs.

2. Kind of fits with what most of you are saying. reality is the "norm" and they (who ever the songs about) are agiants the "norm".

But I haven't really been trying to figure out what the CD means.

I think it's quite cool that you people sit around pondering about this. When reading the lyrics from bands like Nevermore and one of my all time faves Dark Tranquillity, I seldom tries to find any certain meaning in them because I'm a lazy asshole and knows that even if there is a certain story or point behind the poetry, I won't come to the right conclusion. Sooner or later, the writer will also reveal it all in an interview.

And if there isn't a hidden meaning behind them, then it is the "usual": "I think that everyone that reads my lyrics will interprete them in a unique, personal way, and that's sooo cool". And then it all feels meanless.
Because if someone says something to me and I don't understand the fuckin gibberish and ask him what it means, and he says "that's up to you, son" then it feels like he could as well have kept his mouth shut, because I will probably don't understand anything anyway.

And by this I do not mean that Nevermore's lyrics are meanless, I mean that I am lazy and that all you who sit on your chamber thinking about Nevermore lyrics are not. (I'm mostly thinking about where all the fuzz in my navel comes from.)

Child of Time said:
I think it's quite cool that you people sit around pondering about this. When reading the lyrics from bands like Nevermore and one of my all time faves Dark Tranquillity, I seldom tries to find any certain meaning in them because I'm a lazy asshole and knows that even if there is a certain story or point behind the poetry, I won't come to the right conclusion. Sooner or later, the writer will also reveal it all in an interview.

Poetry and lyrics aren't about coming to the right conclusion, especially when in comes to lyrics such as nevermore's. Poetry is written to reach people in a certain kind of way. There are no boundaries to what is the theme of the concept because abtract poetry like nevemore's is left to the listener to figure out. The listener will be touched by the lyrics and the musical field of a song in a certain way but it won't be the same as everyone. That's when the genius of the writer comes in... If a writer can reach many people through his poetry without stating clearly the feelings or meaning of his work, he is one hell of a writer!

So with someone as skilled as WD, you just have to figure it out by yourself... Feel the music for yourself. Analysing music is great phylosophy!