Does body shape effect sound ?

paddok

Aug 7, 2002
deathfm.tk
for example, If I had a gibson les paul and a gibson SG. Both set neck, both with same picksups / trem / body wood / strings/ etc...

would they produce relatively the same sound if played through the same amp ?

or is there a factor which I am overlooking ? (only thing I could think of is body width)

:eek:

Just the fact that the Les Paul is a maple/mahogany hybrid thingy, while the SG is all mahogany - you'll find big tonal differences right there.

If both were made out of only mahogany, with the same pickups, neck dimensions, truss rod construction and matching all other features, the only factor you have left is body mass. Body mass does affect sound, and since the SG is a bit thinner than the Les Paul, you would probably still notice a bit of a difference.

'bane

Sure, body mass and shape affect the tone of a gutar. Perhaps not as much as choice of pickup and the particular amp, but definitely noticable....

Sure! If you weigh 250-300 lbs. I believe you're going to have a fatter sound (or is that phatter?) :D

Sorry....couldn't resist.

Um...the type of wood, for the most part, just affects the sustain. It does have a subtle effect on the tone. The pickups and amp settings are what really affect the tone. Body shape doesn't really do anything unless it is a full hollowbody.

Um...the type of wood, for the most part, just affects the sustain. It does have a subtle effect on the tone.

Eh???

Of course bodywood affects tone. Talk to any experienced techie/luthier, and they will tell you that each guitar wood has its own unique tonal properties.

I agree that body shape probably doesn't play a very big role, but body mass certainly affects the amount of sustain.

Uh, i dont think you´ll notice the difference, because the mics are inside the guitar.

What dazzling logic! :rolleyes: Pickups affect the sound a _lot_. Otherwise, what would be the point for pickup manufacturers to produce dozens of different models? Check the specs of the pickups at the DiMarzio and Seymor Duncan websites. They clearly point out the different characteristics of the pickups.

'bane

hi guys! Short question:

Some time ago anyone posted a link to a site where every different type of guitar woods was explained very well. I can't remember exactly, but i think it was you Sunbane.

Could anyone post this link again? I hope u you know which one i mean.

greetings.

Sunbane said:
What dazzling logic! :rolleyes: Pickups affect the sound a _lot_. Otherwise, what would be the point for pickup manufacturers to produce dozens of different models?
Nope, ive tried out some different models, and it´s not a_lot_ of difference. Of course theres a difference, but i meant that they dont make different models for another sound. It´s because a warlock is better looking than the regular model, if u know what i mean :err:

Judas said:
Nope, ive tried out some different models, and it´s not a_lot_ of difference. Of course theres a difference, but i meant that they dont make different models for another sound. It´s because a warlock is better looking than the regular model, if u know what i mean :err:

No I don't get it, sorry. :zzz:

'bane

Judas said:

:guh: *scratches head*

Are you trying to say that pickups only really look different, but don't sound much different? :err:

Pickups vary WIDELY in tone...