does classical guitar help and improve your musical skills

schecter7

New Metal Member
Jul 31, 2009
Hi chris,

i'm 15 years old and have been playing guitar for a while. I like classical guitar, and i know that you play alot youself. Do you think it would help improve my skills on guitar and music itself? And i play a scecter 7 string hellraiser and love it, but are there any better creative uses for a seven string? My inspiration for a seven string was you and Jeff loomis.

Chords wise, knowing the fretboard, and more different hand positions would help a lot. I just started playing classical myself.

Hey Schecter7,

Yes it definitely would, but that could be said for anything you do that works with your musical ability. I would recommend starting classical if you really like the instrument and want to play the music that is associated with it, not because you think that it will help your electric playing (if this is the reason it would be better to put in the extra practice time on it).

Take care, Chris.

I've been playing classical guitar for a few months now and decided to major in classical guitar in college. I find myself playing classical guitar much more than electric now days. You think I will improve or loss some of my "shredding" skills from lack of playing because I'm playing classical more?

I've been playing classical guitar for a few months now and decided to major in classical guitar in college. I find myself playing classical guitar much more than electric now days. You think I will improve or loss some of my "shredding" skills from lack of playing because I'm playing classical more?

Not if you incorporate shredding to your classical. Like I sweep on my classical with my fingers, tap, and legato.