does def leppard have 1 more great album left in them?

mdmatt4ever

Sep 27, 2006
been listening to them a lot lately and they really haven't released anything special since SLANG. imo slang was a great recorded that updated def leppards sound for the 90's. most fans hated it and in the 13 years since then they've been trying to find a happy medium between the 80's stuff and a 90's/2000's mainstream sound to not outstanding results. euphoria was ok but too many songs sounded like rehashed ideas of stuff from the 80's. X is probably the best overall release since slang but didn't rock hard enough even though the melodies were great. YEAH was simply a stop gap that i would hope made def leppard remember they are a rock band. songs from the sparkle lounge has 3 great songs and 2 good songs but overall didn't hit the mark i was looking for.

will these guys even find the perfect balance now?

and thats sad because i thought adrenalize was a watered down hysteria. maybe steve clark really was the genius behind def leppard because since he passed the fell off big time. adrenalize and retroactive are steve clark albums still so anything after 1995

I'm probably in the minority but I really liked Euphoria. Amazing album? Hardly, but it had some really good songs on it. A couple tracks sounded like old school Leppard.

With their current direction and the fact that Joe's completely lost his voice, they don't have another good album left in them.

The thing with Def Leppard is that most fans STILL associate them with the NWOBHM of which they were never a part of. Nowdays Def Leppard tours with Journey and Bryan Adams which I think is more their style and that audience is much more receptive to the lighter rock that they offer. If by "do they have another good album in them" you mean are they going to rock as hard as they used to in Pyromania then the answer is no. But they may yet make a great album with songs in the pop-rock genre.

I'm probably in the minority but I really liked Euphoria. Amazing album? Hardly, but it had some really good songs on it. A couple tracks sounded like old school Leppard.

With their current direction and the fact that Joe's completely lost his voice, they don't have another good album left in them.

yeah joe's voice is pretty bad now

The thing with Def Leppard is that most fans STILL associate them with the NWOBHM of which they were never a part of. Nowdays Def Leppard tours with Journey and Bryan Adams which I think is more their style and that audience is much more receptive to the lighter rock that they offer. If by "do they have another good album in them" you mean are they going to rock as hard as they used to in Pyromania then the answer is no. But they may yet make a great album with songs in the pop-rock genre.

not sure who still thinks of them as NWOBHM because imo the 2 biggest selling albums they had (pyromania, hysteria) were both after they dropped the NWOBHM sound

I considered Pyromania part of the NWOBHM sound... Hysteria.. no...

We were discussing this in Atlanta and basically, I agree with Matt and Sixxi. By the time of "Pyromania" if you listen carefully they already were taking the road to reach "Hysteria" and beyond becoming a pop-rock band.

Even if the guitar base of "Pyromania" was done by Pete Willis, the fact that he wasn't in the band anymore by the time the album came out plus that Phil Collen was coming from Girl throw the sound of the band away form NWOBHM. Pete was a huge Judas Priest fan, while the rest of the band as I recall from some interviews were more into glam rock. So I think they started with the NWOBHM but they didn't wanted to be part of it, specially after Pete was fired form the band.