Does the weather affect your choice to attend a gig or not?

After a couple of very poorly attended shows last Sat and Sunday in both inner and western Sydney, i feel the need to throw this question around to get some opinions/answers on the subject.
It was raining quite heavily all weekend in Sydney and i'm fairly convinced it had a lot to do with the turnout to 2 fairly strong Metal events ending a lot lower than normal. Even if your in another city or even country i'd like to know your thoughts about the weather be it rain or cold or even extreme heat and what affects you think it has on yours and other peoples choices of attending a gig.

I was in the area for Saturday's gig and popped in before the show started for a beer, went off to get some food and find a free WiFi spot, ended up pissing down rain, started to get drenched and couldn't be fucked heading back to Newtown. So yes, shitty weather definitely plays some part even if it's indoors.

Depends on the line-up too. If Transcending Mortality were headlining I'd happily face cyclone conditions.

Yes, indeed did'nt go to a LORD show at the Basement in 2007( I think) as it was steaming down and thought it was a big ask to ask sandra to drive in the rain, so just stayed home ...

Well I was the opposite for Sunday I was planning on going climbing but the weather was shit so I decided to go to the gig :)

It certainly would effect turnout on a local show. Most people don't see them as the priority as their international gigs (probably due to pre-bought, expensive tickets as well), so a little weather, a sniffle in the nose, their make-up isn't right - whatever and they just cant be arsed. If they really wanted to be there, they would make alternative arrangements to get there, like they would for anything else that the weather effects.
The thing that gets me down the most about such an event is that every band has experienced such a thing and yet hardly any other band members attend other band's shows. For some reason they expect everybody to come to theirs, regardless of weather, why not put in the same effort to go to others?
Getting wet cant really be an issue. If you go in the pit, you get saturated from the physical effort, the water being sprayed and the various other liquids around the area getting shared. Having more water come on you can make you cold, but unless you've got to walk for an hour to get home and as far as I know, I'm the only one who has to do that*, then you're not cold for long. If it was a good gig, then you'd ignore that - perhaps that's also apart of the issue. Local shows have the battle that there are some really, really bad shows on and often. Being wet and going to a bad show would suck. Makes you not want to risk it again.
People are soft Dave. It's a shame.

*that's after a 1hr 40min train trip to the nearest train station.

If the lineup is good enough then weather has nothing to do with me attending. If it's just a 'meh' lineup that I'm just going to for something to do, or for the sake of a night out, then yeah if it's a horrible night I won't bother.

I remember earlier in the year when we had the Metal Obsession benefit show, in the middle of a massive storm, where most of the city's public transport was stopped, and people were warned not to leave home. Plus the venue was leaking inside, and none of the bar equipment was working because of electrical faults. And the headliner only got there with about 10 minutes before their set because of the airports shutting down and flight delays. Now that was a night that weather had an impact! Thankfully the turnout wasn't too poor, but certainly not what it could have been.

I'd imagine the weather would have affected the St Marys show dude as the venue's outside.

But generally the weather doesn't affect me going to gigs. Massive migraines do, which is why I didn't make it on Saturday. Would have loved to come to the St Marys show as it was a great line-up, but I work every Sunday. :(

hardly any other band members attend other band's shows. For some reason they expect everybody to come to theirs, regardless of weather, why not put in the same effort to go to others?
Because clearly they, and in turn their band, is more important than everyone else. Isn't it obvious?

Bands attending other gigs when not playing is another subject i'm sure that could use up a whole thread itself. It does indeed puzzle me that underground bands don't realise good showings at other gigs is just as important to the scene as with their own shows.
Anyways good to hear your imput on the weather topic. Keep it coming.:kickass::kickass:

Indeed!

I've noticed attendances are low when the weather is cold or very wet.

As for myself, if I've bought a ticket I'll go regardless.

If I haven't got a ticket it definitely plays on my conscious, cold weather affects me moreso than the rain.

I've also never felt comfortable with strong wind, in the form of weather too.

s

Because clearly they, and in turn their band, is more important than everyone else. Isn't it obvious?

Yeah I get that, but it's so poorly thought out.
If they attended more gigs, then the owners notice that there is more attendance at shows.
They'd be more likely to put on more shows.
We might even be able to get paid without having to take $1 per head at everyshow, like cover bands or DJs do.
It would also improve performances of the band onstage knowing people are actually in the room.

That all being said, I'm finding it harder and harder to have anything to do with any metal band in the Sydney scene.

Generally weather won't keep me from a gig but sometimes other factors happen to make me miss a gig....
being sick
no drinking money
getting too drunk before a gig
other commitments(eg wedding)

getting too drunk before a gig

That's the spirit!!
I've actually had that happen as well... it was all going so well until I woke up at my mate's house, confused that it wasn't The Bald Faced Stag. Apparently I'd been lying for a while in the gutter until some young lasses got my phone and rang my mate to pick me up.

It was at an hour that streetcleaners arent around. I burden the least amount of workers as possible.
;)
Apparently I even headbutted the exhaust pipe of my mate's car. How I got there, who knows? It'll be one for the historians to hypothesise...

That is the only Metallic excuse i'll take Ralphe!:loco:

although there were probably a couple of gigs i left early this year because of too much drinking early in the day, i think there was only one gig i missed totally this year because i got too drunk before the show and unfortunately that was Overkill at the Metro. I even had already paid for a ticket but ended up going to my local for a couple of beers at lunchtime.However,it was such a great sunny arvo and i ended up staying for about 6 hours drinking beer in the sun and not eating much and i just couldn't get it together to catch the bus into the city.

i think there was only one gig i missed totally this year because i got too drunk before the show

This is something I would never understand, quite often I'd see these paralytic guys crashed outside venues before the show, they spend a fortune on the ticket plus however much for the grog and not get to see the show.

I guess I like Metal too much once foregoing a root :OMG: to hurry up and not miss the band.

s