Does this compare to the THD hotplate?

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
Theres a huge price difference and it just makes me think twice before buying

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046QEVS6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p236_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NEK5MVH9XVK0ECJ7E6W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

Its just an L-Pad which basically attenuates the signal to another (dummy) load in parallel so that the total impedance remains constant, but decreases the level that is given to the cabinet. It can't be used as a dummy load, actually it can if you have the volume knob all the way up but if you move the knob or it gets bumped it can mess the the actual load and ruin the amp, so its not wise to use it as such. Its great if you want cranked tones at low volumes, not for using impulses.

Its just an L-Pad which basically attenuates the signal to another (dummy) load in parallel so that the total impedance remains constant, but decreases the level that is given to the cabinet. It can't be used as a dummy load, actually it can if you have the volume knob all the way up but if you move the knob or it gets bumped it can mess the the actual load and ruin the amp, so its not wise to use it as such. Its great if you want cranked tones at low volumes, not for using impulses.

you know where i can buy a dummy load?

preferably one not as expensive as the hotplate

Oh okay thanks, I was actually looking into using that as an attenuator, not as a dummy load. I should have been more specific

Isn't this thing basically just a second master volume control? Or am I missing something? I guess it could be useful in certain situations but it's not an attenuator in the vein of the HotPlate.

correct you wont be able to achieve cranked tones with this device ,all you will be doing is turning down the signal going to the power tubes .
Its still useful if you just want to make the master volume less sensitive though but you can do that with almost any volume device in the FX loop .
The add is a little misleading ,it says "this allows you to get more of that full blown open tube tone at nice safe levels"
What it really should say is "this allows you to get nice safe levels"

+1. Nothing like a hotplate. A hotplate goes between the head and cab and reduces the volume after the power tubes. This goes in the loop and simply lowers the volume in the loop so you can run your master higher. It will not be the same effect at all.