Dokken guitar set-up

I did 3 albums with George - two with Dokken and one with Lynch Mob.

On ULAK, we used a heavily modified Marshall head (mod was done by Lee Jackson of Metaltronix).

On BFTA we used a completely stock purple Marshall (1969 model number) head. It sounded absolutely amazing.

On Wicked Sensation we used a Soldano head that belonged to Warren DeMartini of Ratt.

I don't think I ever saw a Marshall combo in the studio during those sessions...

:lol:

strange, i was about to post a similar question :lol:

back for the attack is amazing, musically and sonically. the rhythm tone is somewhat weak by today's standards - although it fits the music well - , but the lead tone is AMAZING.
apparently lynch used some form of sustainiac for all his leads, as well as a tubescreamer? or was the TS also used for rhythm tones?
and btw, what exactly did that sustainiac thing do? is it comparable to the sustainiac device that's e.g. built in the jackson DK2 something model? (http://www.thomann.de/de/jackson_dk2s_egitarre.htm)
any other info regarding the production on back for the attack?

so many questions :lol: well, it's a great record ;)

Yes, we used the sustainiac for the leads on BFTA. I love those things (I still own two of them). They are a large pedal unit with two pedals, one that sends a boost of tonic (root note) feedback into the transducer, and the other that sends a dominant (fifth) into it. The transducer fits on to a magnet that's attached to the back of the headstock, and is powered by a 60 W amp. So when you hit a note, then step on the pedal, a massive burst of power is sent into the neck and the guitar vibrates and occasionally screams with pleasure. All great fun. I used to run the pedal part and do the punch-ins at the same time, so George didn't have to worry about anything but playing the solos.

I think the sustainiac is made by the same people who make the sustainiac built in device, but it's FAR more powerful - the pedal that houses the 60W amp itself is a good size.

No pedals were used for the rhythm tone, but we did use a TS for the leads, at least for some of them.

Warren and George were, and probably are, still good friends. They grew up together in Orange County I think.

Hey Neil, I've heard the the leads on BFTA was one of these:

GT%203.jpg

...plugged into the sustainer and then straight into the board. Any truth to that?

I remember we had borrowed more than one old Plexi from Aspen, so I can't guarantee that it was always the purple one that we used. George might come in one day and not be feeling the sound that day so we'd mess around with the amps until things sounded better. I'm pretty sure all the rhythms were the purple one though.

Hey!

How many times have you tracked the guitar parts on BFTA? And do you remember how you panned them?
What has been done with the guitar sound in Mr. Scary? If i listen really carefully to it, i think i can hear the guitar tracks pitched down an octave?

We had four tracks, two left and two right.

There were a total of 17 guitar tracks on Mr Scary. On some melodies we used an octavider added in for effect.

Damn, talk about loads of tracking! :)
Im REALLY greatful for this info, keep on making the most awesome mixes out there! ;)

Crap, I wanna hear more!!!!! I'm completely obsessed with dokken... One thing i'm trying to find is what drum samples where used on any dokken record..... Still trying to use ezdrummer to get that drum sound, isn't quite happening :)

~Rob.

Rob: Just tell me which Dokken record you like the most and i'll try to find the time and patience to simulate them with samples! ;)

haha, man its hard. You hear these guys say, oh, I just used this or, under lock and key they use a simmons I think with some white noise. Yep, can't get it to sound like that haha. Right now i'm trying to find samples for something for the Don dokken solo stuff. Those drums have a bottom that I just love...

Funny, When I think i have something sounding like a drum sound that I want, I compare it to a record, and well, thats when the serious depression comes on, because mine sounds like a cheap radio compared to them haha.

It's magic I tell ya!:hotjump:

~Rob.

Total hijack: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d45HmdK0b5E&feature=related[/ame]

I cant tell how much is room, how much is overheads, how much is sampled, what was done on the verb send etc. I mean, I love this type of production, I think it was the best ever. I'm actually infatuated with the techniques used to get these sounds, not that I can make it this quality though, which is totally frustrating...

The low end on that kick is amazing, Its my fav kick of all time..

~Rob.:headbang:

There are no samples added to the drums. Plenty of reverb on the snare, yes, but no samples added to/or used instead of the original drum sounds. Certainly not like today. Just EQ, compression and reverb.

Reactions: Furious Phil
This is what I'm using for drums now, completely lacking punch or anything :(

Excuse the timing hahah, I just am not feeling it right now haha:

http://shup.com/Shup/418764/80sdemo.mp3

Unfortunately that is the best I can get it to sound, everything I do turns out like this with mixing..... The pro stuff, just has like this incredible STEADY low end and depth..

I think I need a real drummer, A real guitar amp :OMG:

~Rob