Shy - Excess All Areas

The frantic

Dec 7, 2002
In The Village....
www.franticbleep.com
Hi Neil!

I just picked up a copy of Shy's Excess All Areas album (it's great by the way), and I noticed that you Produced and Mixed this album. I'm a big fan/collector of melodic rock music from the 80's early 90's.

So I was wondering if you remembered anything special about this era of your career, since you also worked on albums by Autograph, Dokken, Britny Fox, XYZ, Helix, Lynch Mob etc... How was the experiences?

Did you ever see Don Dokken without his wig? :D

Hi there,

Yes I did do the Shy album. It was a lot of fun. We tracked it in a residential studio just outside Amsterdam.

I remember everything about that era... what did you have in mind?

Actually, I don't think I remember ever seeing Don WITH a wig.

:)

Neil K.

Well, I was wondering about things like... Which of these albums you enjoyed the most? And what the overall attitude in the studio(s) was like, Which band(s) was the coolest to work with, who had the most groupies, stuff like that :D

Was is a lot of pressure from the record labels to produce hits? Most of these bands did very well, but others pretty much failed commercially(like the XYZ album..) And how did you and Michael Wagener work togheter on the "Under Lock and key" album? Did you do most of the recording or...since you're both credited as producers i mean.

Back in the mid-late 80s, I think I probably enjoyed Queensryche's "Rage For Order" and Dokken's "Back For The Attack" the most, for different reasons. RFO was a very exciting and fast paced album, where the workflow just clicked and every idea spawned others that worked. It was very exciting in that sense. We were making a sort of hybrid album, heavy AND electronic, that fortunately ended up being somewhat groundbreaking, so there were lots of things that we did that were really unconventional. I used lots of very different sounding rooms for recording things (I like doing that a lot anyway), particularly drums and percussion etc. Also for some guitar sounds I used hallways, cupboards, stairwells etc. to get weird jarring effects. Lots of fun indeed.

BFTA was almost the polar opposite of RFO in the sense of that we had a very successful album to follow up (ULAK) and therefore we had to make sure BFTA was at least as successful. I worked on the song arrangements with the band for over two months prior to tracking as the material was somewhat skeletal going in. The tracking of BFTA took ages - so long in fact that I was completely burned out when it came time to mix the album, and I had to ask some friends of mine to mix it for me due to my being exhausted. The album was originally supposed to take 3 months but it ended up taking 10 months to track. I didn't mind that part - the most disappointing aspect was the fact that as it was going so slowly I was unable to work on the followup to RFO, which I was supposed to produce at that time. That was a major disappointment to me, but I had to finish up the Dokken.

Neither of these bands had groupies - they all had wives/girlfriends etc. Sadly I think the groupies tend to gravitate more towards the live aspect of things. I'm sure there's nothing less exciting for a groupie than watching someone go over and over the same vocal line/gtr part to get it just right. Doesn't really have the same vibe as seeing the band up on stage. Sad but true...

On ULAK Michael and I worked really well together. We did realise that we were sort of duplicated in a sense and decided that once the drums and bass were tracked, which we both worked on together, we'd save time by splitting the rest of the stuff up. We both spent time working on guitars and vocals, sort of in rotation etc. which did speed the process up a bit, plus it kept the band busier and out of each other's way etc. We then mixed the album together and also flew to NYC together to the mastering with Bob Ludwig.

Back in those days there certainly was a lot of pressure from the labels to write hits. That's why I would spend quite a while working on the song arrangements up front. I still like to do the same thing of course, whenever possible.

Neil K.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

"Rage for order" is one of my favourite records, it's a great mix between the progressive and the melodic rock styles. It's up there with "Hysteria" and Whitesnake's 1987 album in my opinion. They never asked you to do the Empire album then? Since you couldn't do the Mindcrime album?

"Back for the Attack" is a great album too! But I think "Under Lock And Key" is the best Dokken album. BFTA is just a little too long in my opinion.

You did that Michael Bolton (everybody's crazy) album too didn't you? :)

Oh....and i dig Eraserhead too by the way! ;)

"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"

:D

I prefer George's work on BFTA by far. I think he was on fire on that album.

Yep, did the Bolton album. Sadly that didn't sell well at all. I imagine that wasn't asked to do Empire as OM did do very well and QR was on a roll at that point. No sense changing a team if the previous combination worked well.

I'm also a huge fan of "The Prisoner". Are you? I saw "In the village" in your avatar window, so I thought you might be. I recently got the DVD collection - it's top notch.

:)

Neil K.

Sure, when it comes to the guitar sound and George's playing you might want to consider the BFTA the best album, but I've always enjoyed the ULAK album a little bit more.

And yes I am a HUUUGE prisoner fan. It's my favourite TV show of all time. That show means a lot to me, it's not only my favourite show, it defines me as a person and my whole view of the world. I've got the DVD set too (the british release) it's great! The picture quality is awesome! Patrick McGoohan is a bloody genius!

Ahhh.. good to know you're a Prisoner fan. I'm hoping the film will see the light of day at some point too.

Be seeing you!

Neil K.

hey neil, speaking of dokken. i dont know if this holds any truth whatsoever, this was just the word on the streets a few years back. were the drum samples on the skrew's "shadow of doubt" record samples from the dokken kit? also were similar ones used on "drown" the nihil record. id ask scott but hes hard to find these days ever since we stopped playing together. i always liked the sound of those drums though btw. very powerful sounding.

There were no samples used/taken for the two Dokken albums I did. I just used the drum sounds we got on the sessions. The sounds on SoD were the sounds I got for the Skrew album itself, but instead we programmed the entire kit fron those sounds, which was always the plan. I then used the Skrew tom and cymbal sounds again for the Nihil album, which was done a few months later in Texas, but tweaked them out a bit as well.

Neil K.

NK said:
There were no samples used/taken for the two Dokken albums I did. I just used the drum sounds we got on the sessions. The sounds on SoD were the sounds I got for the Skrew album itself, but instead we programmed the entire kit fron those sounds, which was always the plan. I then used the Skrew tom and cymbal sounds again for the Nihil album, which was done a few months later in Texas, but tweaked them out a bit as well.

Neil K.
right on, i always liked the way those 2 records sounded, especially the guitars on drown. they sound so huge.