domestic partnerships: bad idea how...?

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
(yeah I'm posting this around, I need opinions)

I'm thinking of entering into an insurance-providing domestic partnership with my live-in girlfriend (in NYC). You go down to City Hall, plunk down 20 bucks, fill out a form, and voila.

Why should I NOT do this? Does her bad credit bleed into mine? Do I have to pay more taxes? Can she leave me and claim half my earnings? etc.

it's a win/win situation. I did it to get my wife on my insurance before we were married.

I guess she could potentially sue you for half your earnings if you separate, but there's no legal precedent I don't think. It's not the same as marriage.

when she can enroll depends on the HR department at your job.
domestic partnership in NYC is almost empty and meaningless. that's the work i did for 5 years. trust me. mostly people use it for insurance purposes. otherwise it's virtually meaningless in NY state. if you have other questions, call the legal aid society of NY and they'll help you.
telling your landlord depends on the stipulations in your lease.

i mean, if something were to happen to you she could argue that she's allowed to make your funeral arrangements... other than that, probably no dice unless she sets some groundbreaking precedent.

well, that would be "civil unioned", I think, which has a lot more associated with it. this basically just registers that we live together and lets her get my insurance. and visit me in prison.