don't know wether to be flattered.. or annoyed?

dani

beat defective
Sep 12, 2008
so, i just found one of my clients recordings on a well known torrent site, along with a few other places.

anyone else found their works floating around on the internet?

"Hi I'm Chris lord alge and I'm sick of seeing my work downloaded....."

did you get paid for your work? if so, sorry I just don't see what you are complaining about?

this is a common fact of life. I can understand an artist being bummed about it but fuck its common fact of life now that we just have to deal with it.

yea, i was paid. not a huge amount, but i done it more for the love than for the money ;)

and yea, i'm not really complaining, i was just surprised that i'd made something people want to pirate..! aha.

Well my band's stuff is all freely available for download, from our bandcamp, facebook page and mediafire but I've still found stuff floating around. I don't mind since it's available for free anyway its just annoying to find it uploaded elsewhere because we can't track download statistics!

There's not much that can be done about the p2p and torrent stuff but make sure the band does a search now and then for sites that are selling the music for profit, they can most likely get that shut down with an email. It can and does happen. I remember reading a thread here concerning a russian site selling downloads of numerous forum members' albums illegally.

Different example, but we have not even released a toxic grind machine album, but it's all over the torrentsites as TGM "demos".. lololol, i think it's pretty cool allthough it does not represent the final product quality wise/structure wise.

my bands full length was up on rapidshare 1 day before the official release o.0

i guess that's the next step - you've reached a new level of fame when your stuff is available on the web before the release date!

i'm only glad it was 320kbit release that was pirated. i'd of gotten all DMCA if they were pirating the 128k album... haha.

I think i am going to put "If you pirated this, please go to my homepage and donate 1 dollar" in small print on my album back cover if/when i make something release worthy...

[edit]
And if they are too lazy to do even that, there is still a way for them to give me some money without actually spending any cash.
Amazon.com has an affiliate program that pays you few % of any purchase if you referred a customer to them, so i can just put a link to some cool electronics or something there...

so, i just found one of my clients recordings on a well known torrent site, along with a few other places.

anyone else found their works floating around on the internet?
in response to the title, i was expecting a rediculously long opening post, in which case, i would have just written
be flattered and move on

but now that i've actually read your surprisingly short and to the point opening post, i'm still saying
be flattered and move on

atleast your music is decent enough for people to want to steal it from you
if i was a musician, i'd be dissapointed and even offended if nobody was stealing my music, because it would mean that my music isn't worth the effort of stealing it

I produced my band's album, and it's all over pirate blogs etc... I don't mind though. I just hope that enough people get to hear it because realistically not everybody wants to/can afford to spend the 13-14 euros that it costs to order the hard copy from the internet. At the same time I don't have a bad conscience when I download other albums to check bands out(I buy them if I like them of course).