Don't these lists just piss you off?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2164

Rolling Stone magazine has some seriously unhealthy obsession with Nirvana. Yes, I appreciate what they were (in the world of grunge), but saying that Nevermind is a greater album than Dark Side of the Moon is just wrong IMO.

(My opinion on Rolling Stone being obsessed with anything Kurt Cobain was confirmed when they previously listed him at #7 (or something like that) in the top 100 guitarists of all time).

Also, not that I have a problem with them specifically, but take away The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, and Led Zeppelin from the list and you'll be left with 2 albums practically.

And...Bruce fucking Springsteen appears twice on the list, and Black Sabbath don't even make it whatsoever?

EDIT: Sabbath not making the top 100 that is.

NO KING CRIMSON!?!?!? Fuck you Rolling Stone. Fuck you up your stupid asses. :mad:

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
347. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Pink Floyd

That makes no sense. Both of these albums were released at about the same time (both recorded in the same studio at the same time I'm pretty sure), and the Pink Floyd is infinitely more psychadelic and uh... better, not to mention lightyears ahead of its time. Not to disrespect Sgt. Pepper's, but Pink Floyd trumped them by a longshot, with their debut no less.

The thing that bothers me most about these lists is that the big artists have 5 or more entries in the top spots, but you very rarely see obscure albums listed. And what's with all the rap shit, but the only metal are two sub-par Metallica albums!?!?

Anyone familiar with the music magazine MOJO? A buddy of mine bought me their Greatest Albums of All Time book a few years ago, it's quite thorough. Gives the nod to a great variety of albums, including many obscure nearly undground releases.

Agreed with Nad's first post...I love bringing up the Piper proximity whenever someone tells me that the Beatles were unconditionally the greatest band that ever existed. And the absence of the three pillars of progressive rock (Crimson, Yes, Genesis) alone renders this list worthless...although the name of the publication that printed it goes a long way. :)

These lists don't piss me off at all. During my lifetime, Rolling Stone has never been a relevant music publication. The collective opinion of Rolling Stone on music is of no greater significance to me than that of Anna Nicole Smith, one of the Osbourne children, or the castaways from Survivor.

GZ

Side note - if I was single and the opportunity presented itself, I would at least act like Anna's opinions mattered. I would, however, extend no such courtesy to the Osbourne children or the castaways from Survivor.

OK, we agree that this list, and lists like this are pure shit. That said, I'm bored at work and will ask, how many of these 500 do you own, and which ones?

Myself:
6. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
13. Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground and Nico
17. Nirvana - Nevermind
35. David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
44. Patti Smith - Horses
48. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions...
72. Prince - Purple Rain
73. AC/DC - Back In Black
78. Neil Young - Harvest
80. The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
98. Elvis Costello - This Years Model
108. The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
109. The Velvet Underground - Loaded
113. The Who - The Who Sell Out
117. The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
125. The Stooges - Raw Power
130. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
136. The Replacements - Tim
144. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
157. Joy Division - Closer
165. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
166. Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
167. Metallica - Master of Puppets
168. Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
184. Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
185. The Stooges - The Stooges
191. The Stooges - Funhouse
199. AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Holy shit... I had no idea that when I started this stupid endeavor that I would be listing so many. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed... :) I'm gonna have to look through the rest later, after 200, I tired of it...

I'm not trying to say it, I am saying it. :)

I'm rather indifferent on the Beatles, there's some good stuff, but nothing worthy of me buying an album. And I've never liked Zeppelin. In fact, I'd go so far to say that I can't stand them.

bloodfiredeath said:
I'm not trying to say it, I am saying it. :)

I'm rather indifferent on the Beatles, there's some good stuff, but nothing worthy of me buying an album. And I've never liked Zeppelin. In fact, I'd go so far to say that I can't stand them.
Heh, I figured they're just one of those household items that someone in your household would own/ have owned at some point in their lives, particularly The White Album or Led Zeppelin IV, (or even Michael Jackson's Thriller for that matter)! It's just a matter of statistics. :D

Some Zeppelin is really quite ingenious - particularly III or Houses of the Holy - and I can't deny that The Beatles were probably the best band in history. I always think it's just miraculous that people like Plant & Page, Lennon & McCartney, or Simon & Garfunkel can just bump into each other in the street (pretty much) and turn out to be these pioneers of musicianship and songwriting. Just crazy.

Erik said:
Stop calling Master of Puppets subpar or will beat with stick.
As soon as the album stops being as such, I will. :p

JayKeeley said:
particularly III or Houses of the Holy
OMGOMGLOLOZL!!!!!11111111 best Zeplinz evart.!!!!!!!!11111

Okay, here's what I own:

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground
15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
17. Nevermind, Nirvana
20. Thriller, Michael Jackson (a crappy tape copy from many years ago)
29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
35. Ziggy Stardust David Bowie
42. The Doors, The Doors
43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses
66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin
75. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
81. Graceland, Paul Simon
87. The Wall, Pink Floyd
88. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash
125. Raw Power, The Stooges (still sealed)
130. Paranoid, Black Sabbath
134. Slanted and Enchanted, Pavement
145. Aja, Steely Dan
149. Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin
156. Paul's Boutique, Beastie Boys
162. OK Computer, Radiohead
167. Master of Puppets, Metallica (I don't hate it Erik, but it's still the worst of their 80s releases)
193. Dookie, Green Day (stolen from me 8 years ago, I never sought a replacement)
200. The Downward Spiral, Nine Inch Nails
202. Bad, Michael Jackson
207. Ten, Pearl Jam
209. Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd
217. Licensed to Ill, Beastie Boys
219. Loveless, My Bloody Valentine
233. Bookends, Simon and Garfunkel (still sealed)
241. Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
252. Metallica, Metallica
277. Aladdin Sane, David Bowie
292. White Light / White Heat, The Velvet Underground
297. Weezer (Blue Album), Weezer
298. Master of Reality, Black Sabbath
310. BloodSugarSexMagik, Red Hot Chili Peppers
311. MTV Unplugged in New York, Nirvana
327. Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette (listened to it once, haha)
336. Superunknown, Soundgarden
337. Aqualung, Jethro Tull
347. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Pink Floyd
360. Siamese Dream, The Smashing Pumpkins
368. Rage Against the Machine, Rage Against the Machine
399. Californication, Red Hot Chili Peppers
408. Time Out of Mind, Bob Dylan (this placed below the Strokes and The White Stripes. Again, fuck you Rolling Stone)
415. Van Halen , Van Halen
428. Kid A, Radiohead
437. All Things Must Pass, George Harrison (should be #1)
439. In Utero, Nirvana
455. Synchronicity, The Police (in my top 10)
467. Love and Theft, Bob Dylan
492. Vitalogy, Pearl Jam