Don't these lists just piss you off?

Whoah, 6 replies in 3 seconds.

I told you, Monday mornings are slow. My week doesn't start until noon every Monday, the construction industry probably has the highest hangover Monday percentage in America.

OK... the rest. Man, today is slow for me. I love the holiday season. It usually equals nothing to do at work...

208. Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
216. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
226. Pixes - Doolittle
227. Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full
241. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
245. Nick Drake - Bryter Lyter
255. The Kinks - The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
283. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
288. The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks
292. The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
294. MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
295. The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
298. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
300. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
314. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
315. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
320. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
326. The Cure - Disintegration
340. Black Flag - Damaged
355. The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons
365. The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
381. Modern Lovers - Modern Lovers
405. PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me
411. Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
429. Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
442. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
451. MC5 - Back In The USA
460. Alice Cooper - Love It To Death
481. The Smiths - The Smiths
482. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
490. Gang of Four - Entertainment

And for the record, I have nothing against the Beatles, I certainly grew up with them being played alot. I just get annoyed how much they are heralded when I feel that there were not only better bands, and not only better bands in the 60s, but better British bands in the 60s. Namely the Zombies, Kinks, and Stones.

bloodfiredeath said:
And for the record, I have nothing against the Beatles, I certainly grew up with them being played alot. I just get annoyed how much they are heralded when I feel that there were not only better bands, and not only better bands in the 60s, but better British bands in the 60s. Names the Zombies, Kinks, and Stones.
Well, it has to depend on which album you look at, since each Beatles release brought forth a new era all unto itself. I think they are heralded for how quickly they grew across each album. Look at this:

Help! - 1965
Rubber Soul - 1965
Revolver - 1966
Sgt Peppers - 1967
White Album - 1968
Abbey Road - 1969
Let it Be - 1970

Not to mention that you can throw in the Magical Mystery Tour in that lot around 1967. Just remarkable if you think about the differences between each album - with each not being spread more than 12 months apart.

Not to take anything away from the Stones or the Kinks, but their albums are pretty consistent in comparison. I guess that's why The Beatles are also so popular in record sales - in other words, somebody somewhere is always going to like at least one Beatles record enough to buy it (on average).

I understand what you're saying. Myself, I prefer consistency. I find that concepts such as growth and evolution within a band to be vastly overrated cliches. Generally speaking of course, there are exceptions. And though I am no expert on the subject, I have read several articles over the years stating that the Beatles were much more followers of trends than innovators.

Don't get me wrong, I listend to the Beatles alot as a kid, my parents have all the records you mentioned. I can specifically remember giving side two of Abbey Road quite a number of spins. I just think that people are too eager to accept that they are the 'best.' I remember being blown away the first time I heard The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, Aftermath by the Stones, and Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies. I just try to push these as much as I can because I think people who love mid to late era Beatles really need to hear these albums.

29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie
41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd (actually my dad's copy but it's on my box :p)
61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses
66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin
73. Back in Black, AC/DC
75. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
101. Fresh Cream, Cream
112. Disraeli Gears, Cream
115. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, Derek and the Dominos
130. Paranoid, Black Sabbath
160. Electric Warrior, T. Rex
199. Highway to Hell, AC/DC
203. Wheels of Fire, Cream
228. Toys in the Attic, Aerosmith
241. Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
384. Pyromania, Def Leppard
396. Eliminator, ZZ Top
426. The Battle of Los Angeles, Rage Against the Machine
472. Hysteria, Def Leppard

Quite surprised by the number there :eek: could do a completely serperate list for my dad's collection too ^_^

Don't take anything Rolling Stone says seriously, it's a fanny-ass piece of crap and written by insecure pussies :p

bloodfiredeath said:
I understand what you're saying. Myself, I prefer consistency. I find that concepts such as growth and evolution within a band to be vastly overrated cliches. Generally speaking of course, there are exceptions.
Absolutely - Maiden and AC/DC are revered as much for their consistency as Ulver and Amorphis might be for their 'growth'.

And though I am no expert on the subject, I have read several articles over the years stating that the Beatles were much more followers of trends than innovators.
I'm no expert either but I think in the early days, it was no secret that they were heavilly influenced by the likes of Elvis and Chuck Berry - the whole 50's rock and roll scene of America basically. Later on, however, they seemed to change direction to the point where even other musicians would stop to witness the songwriting genius. I remember seeing an interview with Ray Davies once where he couldn't understand how two blue collar guys out of Liverpool could write those chord progressions.

Also, I'm always quite impressed at how Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and George Harrison were also incredible song writers in their own right (as solo artists). Likewise, I always thought that the solo offerings by people like Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page etc were all way subpar.

I remember being blown away the first time I heard The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, Aftermath by the Stones, and Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies. I just try to push these as much as I can because I think people who love mid to late era Beatles really need to hear these albums.
I don't own any of those three albums, but I'd like to check them out for sure. The wife and I have been on a big 'British Invasion' / 'US Classic Rock' xmas list spree for a few days now - specifically because we'd like for our kid to be able to hear the milestones. Quite interesting doing this really because it forces us to look at classic rock, classical masterpieces etc - stuff that we know - but don't actually own.

JayKeeley said:
I don't own any of those three albums, but I'd like to check them out for sure. The wife and I have been on a big 'British Invasion' / 'US Classic Rock' xmas list spree for a few days now - specifically because we'd like for our kid to be able to hear the milestones. Quite interesting doing this really because it forces us to look at classic rock, classical masterpieces etc - stuff that we know - but don't actually own.
Though all vastly different to me, if I were to recommend one, it would be Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies. I think it takes the cake as the album of the decade. It blows me away every time I hear it.

It's generally known for the hit single Time of the Season. Though a fine song, don't base expectations on that alone.

George Harrison's solo stuffs owns the entire Beatles catalogue's collective soul. Number 437 for All Things Must Pass... bah, bah I say!

The Zombies eh? On the list.

Typically shitty list... but anyways... here's what I own from their Top 500:

26. The Joshua Tree, U2

62. Achtung Baby, U2

221. War, U2

307. Avalon, Roxy Music (I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS ALBUM! I can't believe Rolling Stone was actually smart enough to include this masterpiece)

322. Ghost in the Machine, The Police (Just listened to this tonight, actually)

369. Reggatta de Blanc, The Police (actually, I think this is a rather weak album, with the obvious exception of "Message in a Bottle")

371. Siren, Roxy Music

387. Country Life, Roxy Music

394. For Your Pleasure, Roxy Music

412. Mezzanine, Massive Attack

417. Boy, U2

434. Outlandos D'Amour, The Police (I don't like this one much)

455. Synchronicity, The Police (Finally!)

amazing, I can't believe they actually had FOUR Roxy Music albums in their list! Awesome!

There are a good number of albums that I had at one point and got rid of (Kiss, Def Leppard, etc)...

Frankly I'm not even sure why you'd care what a mainstream music magazine thinks is important music. All those mainstream magazines love Nirvana, Guitar World is the same way. I mean Nirvana's music is some of the most simplistic shit ever and then you got the morons from the magazine praising Kurt Cobain like he was some sort of guitar god. Sure I liked Nirvana a lot when I was younger, but even I knew they weren't very talented musicians. Maybe thats because the only songs i could ever play on the guitar were Nirvana songs haha.

Although I liked Nirvana "unplugged", I did think they were well overrated. Nevermind came out when I was at college, so they became a big student band in my time. Of course everyone managed to ignore the better bands like Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jnr, and Soundgarden. Shame really.

I was really into the whole Sub Pop thing in high school. It was then I really got into Bleach, along with bands like Mudhoney. Nevermind was good, but like you said overrated in a sense that it wasn't that good.

@Blackwinged: To many people, including myself, how 'simple' music is or how 'talented' the musicians are have little to nothing to do with judging the product.

bloodfiredeath said:
@Blackwinged: To many people, including myself, how 'simple' music is or how 'talented' the musicians are have little to nothing to do with judging the product.
Of course not, and that's not really what his point was I believe. The point is that _Guitar World_, a magazine dedicated to playing the guitar, goes around hailing Kurt as some sort of supreme guitarist when he's really mediocre at best.