Don't understand Boogex

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I personnally use KeFir to load impulses, but as everybody here seems to use Boogex, I decided to give it a try.

What I feel strange is that at first it seems it already does a lot of processing on the sound, I can't get to the same sound as kefir (which doesnt process assuming you've put "wet" to 100%). Therefore I don't really understand the principle of boogex, because I thought the aim is just to load impulses, and not to process the gain etc which is made by the preamp ?

I'd like to know how you use Boogex, why. I'd also be interested, if you use Reaper, to have one of your FX Chains you used and that sounded good, with TSS>8505>impulse so that I can actually see where I'm getting wrong with boogex.

Thanks beloved sneapsters!

PS : Im also interested in any other chain to have a good idea of what is for you a good guitar tone, I find having some trouble tweaking TSS/nick crow whereas a real cab doesn't give me headache !

Turn all the knobs on the pre-filter section and amplifier section to 0. Turn the dry post cab and the dry pre cab to 0. You can drag out the sections of the eq filter to the far left and right to make sure that there are no changes there either but you might want to experiment with the cuts to see where they sound better.

I track with boogex and when I bounce the track, I use SIR to load the IRs. Sounds much better IMO.

Therefore I don't really understand the principle of boogex, because I thought the aim is just to load impulses, and not to process the gain etc which is made by the preamp ?

Boogex is not exactly a convolution plugin. Well, it's not just that.
Boogex is a full amp simulation that happens to load cab impulses.

Some people use the tone stack and drive options in Boogex to add another gain stage and somehow mimic a power amp stage. And the LPF and HPF are very useful for guitar.

With me, I drop all the amplifier controls to zero, and also drag the HP and LP filters to their farthest extremes, then bus all the guitars to a track that I have ReaEQ on doing the HP/LP, sounds cleaner to me that way!

Well why the need of the poweramp stage ? Isn't the poweramp supposed to be impulsed ? Or maybe you mean that this gives the way to color the poweramp too, which is not possible with only the impulse ?

@Marcus : you drop all the controls to zero = you finally keep the convolution, and then I don't get it : you put the filters to the extreme to kill the extrem low/high, and then you process on that the normal way ? so basically, the only difference with me and my kefir is that you add a stage with LP/HP boogex filters ? That's to see if I got everything.

So finally, what do you like in boogex possibilities ? What does it add to the color of the sound that does not the VST preamp ?

No, I put the filters to the most extreme as in pretty much eliminating them (like I'm HP'ing at ~20 Hz and LP's at ~15k), then I do the filtering when I bus all the guitars to one track with ReaEQ on it. And I just find Boogex sounds clearer and more detailed than KeFIR, I don't think all convolution plugins are created equal!

Well why the need of the poweramp stage ? Isn't the poweramp supposed to be impulsed ? Or maybe you mean that this gives the way to color the poweramp too, which is not possible with only the impulse ?

If the poweramp is captured in the impulse file it is captured at only one level of gain that might add some color to the sound or not, but is static.
I don't mean that you are actually "modeling" a power amp, much less a specific power amp, but that the extra gain stage can color the sound in a way that you might like. Like a power amp/mic preamp/tape buss/channel strip/tube gizmo might do.

With me, I drop all the amplifier controls to zero, and also drag the HP and LP filters to their farthest extremes, then bus all the guitars to a track that I have ReaEQ on doing the HP/LP, sounds cleaner to me that way!

I'm not sure but I think that the HP/LP filters in Boogex are previous to the tone stack/convolution. Maybe that's why.