The "Correct" way of using Impulses... I'm ready to get slammed on this thread.

Element77

Sep 12, 2006
To preface.. Yes, I've checked the sticky. Yes, I've used the search function...

What I'm asking is how do YOU use your Impulses, or what it the best way to get the correct, "way it was supposed to sound" tone from whatever you use...

The reason I've asked is, I've loaded the same impulse into 3 or 4 different loaders (Kefir, Boogex, SIR2, Lecab) and each one sounds, if not drastically different, then slightly different.

I always used Boogex, and I would just turn down all the tone, drive, etc. knobs all down, but then I read "Move the green dot all the way left for the "true tone", so i tried that. then "No, you should use Kefir for the best sound..Then after that, it was something else.

So, I'm curious, what is the way you get the "truest" sound from your Impulse Loader?

James

1. Load lecab
2. Pick impulse
3. ???
4. Profit

Sorry, but I don't think there is any secrete you are missing (only thing being missing the green dots on boogex.. Took me a while to notice that one :p)
I have not tried sir2 and kefir, but there should not be a big difference between the different loaders with equal settings.

I've always heard Lecab was the way to go, but there were a couple different versions of it, and every time I tried to load an impulse, it wouldn't. It just showed the default one loaded, I think I'm going to try working with that more. And I seem to get a good deal of latency using SIR2.

I've always heard Lecab was the way to go, but there were a couple different versions of it, and every time I tried to load an impulse, it wouldn't. It just showed the default one loaded, I think I'm going to try working with that more. And I seem to get a good deal of latency using SIR2.

My guess is you have not switched it to external impulses (EXT IR on the GUI) :)

That's because you gotta click the external impulse switch

yeah, just switch to external impulse. the different versions are only different guis afaik,
soundwise, it's all the same. Never really cared for SIR, used Boogex in the beginning, but
switched to LeCab and will never go back.
You can pan the impulses, switch phases, have a low and high-pass in there and you can even
"delay" the impulses (cool feature for clean tones imho).

So the easiest chain with a ampsim would be something like this:
ampsim-lecab, finished :D
mine looks like this: reagate-tse maxon-lecto beta-reagate-lecab-reaeq.

I did like SIR's interface, I like seeing all my available impulses in a window, for ease of checking instead of having to keep going back and forth into a directory. But, yea I probably did something moronic like not switching something on in Lecab... I'll give it a shot. In Kefir, it automatically puts the gain where it needs to be (i guess.) and i didn't know if i was supposed to zero it out or leave one channel at say
-9.7 and another track at -12.3, or wherever it puts them, if I'm recording 2 guitars per side...

SIR2 produces the best sound quality for me, paired with the simplest UI.

Yes ERMZ, thats waht I posted before. SIR2 sounds the best for me. Used to use lecab but SIR2 sounds a lot better. Maybe the new version of Lecab will pair SIR2.

I think it might, but i could be wrong. But I don't get the latency issues I have with it, like 6-7ms. I ended up running an instance of it on each channel, which I'm sure helped my processor load. I also didn't know what was better, running 1 instance of a loader per track, or being able to load 2 impulses in one loader, ala' Lecab. Didn't know if this makes a difference.

I was not aware that the host holding the actual impulse mattered. Why does that matter?

Yeah, why? I'm using Kefir btw... and I love it!
Put perhaps this is like having an IR reverb. Altiverb sounds best by far!

I don't understand how the host you're using can 'sound' better than another. I use voxengo boogex to load existing impulses and it sounds just fine. You guys are saying using a different host to load a WAV file can sound better?:err:

i think altiverb has it's own kind of impulses and it's own kind of processing! I used a lot of other IR reverbs, and nothing sounded as good for me as altiverb. I don't think that the IR plugin is just "loading" a wave! then you could use windows media player as well. ;)

maybe it's the same with cab IRs.

I know ReValver's loader does sound different from MellowMuse IR1A, and IR1A sounds better with the same impulses.