Impulses & double miked cab

Uncle Junior

Jun 24, 2009
Slovenia
Ok, I'm one who uses impluses and ampsims, unfortunately can't afford real hardware stuff. :/

So my question is next, how to achieve the (double miked) cabinet effect. Do I use two impulses from the same pack (let's say GHacks)?

and then make three mono tracks.

1. Ampsim and from here to 2. , 3. mono tracks with impulse loading vst (Kefir) and use different impulses on these 2. , 3. track?

How to pan these tracks later on?

I'm kinda confused because you have two mics and with that two signals, and it kinda ain't stereo or is it?

P.S. searched forum and didnt find anything about mixing double miced cabs. I wonder what to do with the two signals you get from double miking.
So if you know about any threads, just post that.

Thanks!

I'd pan one 100% and the other 80%. Make sure there's no phasing issues, as well. If you're using GH's impulses, be wary of them being bass heavy when you do this. Apparently his impulses are perfectly in phase.

If you're using something like LeCab, just put it on blend and stereo, it'll give you a bit of a volume boost.

ok, thanks. But when you said 100 80 ..hmmm... is double miking similar to QUADTRACKING because I also pan 100 80 when quading and if i would quad for my song what would be the panning then? I guess I'd have 8 tracks.

and also... LeCab and panning the single double miked guitar is kinda different. I mean I have two tracks or I use one with lecab which enables me to use two impulses in one mono track channel.

Is there any further stuff about this?

ok, thanks. But when you said 100 80 ..hmmm... is double miking similar to QUADTRACKING because I also pan 100 80 when quading and if i would quad for my song what would be the panning then? I guess I'd have 8 tracks.

and also... LeCab and panning the single double miked guitar is kinda different. I mean I have two tracks or I use one with lecab which enables me to use two impulses in one mono track channel.

Is there any further stuff about this?

Well, no. Dual miking is just double tracking, but treat the extra tracks as if they were in a quad tracked group. When quad tracking with multiple mics/impulses, pan each guitar take as you would if it were single miked.

That's what I do, though. YMMV.

Well, no. Dual miking is just double tracking, but treat the extra tracks as if they were in a quad tracked group. When quad tracking with multiple mics/impulses, pan each guitar take as you would if it were single miked.

That's what I do, though. YMMV.

Dual miking is not double tracking. Dual miking is 2 mics on one source for one take. :Spin:

Dual miking is not double tracking. Dual miking is 2 mics on one source for one take. :Spin:

Well, I meant typically you're double tracking guitars, right? So with two tracks of guitar with two mics each, you're still double tracking.

Sorry for making that point unclear.

I always treat dual miced stuff as mono to avoid phasing because the source basically is mono. So same panning for both mics.
+1

Well, I meant typically you're double tracking guitars, right? So with two tracks of guitar with two mics each, you're still double tracking.

Sorry for making that point unclear.

Yeah, I get that. It's just you had worded dual miking as dual tracking, which threw me off. But all is good now.