I think I'm friggin' retarded. Mbox, Protools, Impulses

urinebath

Terminal E
Jun 5, 2007
Cleveland, OH
www.myspace.com
Ok. This will probably get bumped or ripped on..."There are so many posts already about this you douche-nozzle!" says the forum.

Here's my setup trying to utilize guitar cab impulses:
Protools 7.4, XP Pro
> Guitar
> MBox (guitar plugged directly in, Ch 2)
> Mono Track 1, panned 100% left
> Insert 1 - WavesC4 (compressor with Andy Sneap Setting)
> Insert 2 - Amplitube2 (cab bypassed) with an ENGL Savage Recto setting
> Insert 3 - Boogex Voxengo, EQ Flat, other settings 0%, Impulse Response ON, both -inf dials all the way left

Then there's a stereo MASTER channel.

The Problem:
I'm still hearing a dry signal from my monitors? I'm ready to punch babies by now. I've tried numerous routings and still hear the silly direct clean along with the sweet sounding AT2/Boogex. Could it be that my MBox won't let me mute the dry signal? Or is there some kind of monitoring issue?

I'm excited to start messing around with impulses from all the great tones I've been hearing. I've followed many tutorials to set everything up correctly, but I'm still having issues.

If there's anyone out there that can advise me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

One other thing...not related to your impulse problem...but the C4 should go AFTER Voxengo, not before your amp-sim. It's meant to (if using the Sneap settings or something similar) tame the low mid woofiness if it's a problem (and isn't always needed).

Possible OTB solutions:

719295_800.jpg

Twist the MIX knob all the way to right and check in pro tools that you have direct monitoring on and rec activated

Possible ITB solutions:

Are you sure that the plugins are in the inserts and not in the sends and in the correct channel?
If not, post a screenshot of your mixer window

Just out of curiousity, whats the difference if you have your track panned 100% left or right while recording? I mean, maybe I missed something seriously obvious and have just made myself into the town fool but I've never panned anything in pro-tools while tracking. Only after I'm done tracking 1-3 more guitars do I bother with setting the panning on them.

I used to have to do this on my old analog 8 track machine but have never done it in PT and have never heard anything to make me think I fucked up by not panning

VERY sorry to hijack this but reading your guitar chain made me think of it

A little more on topic would be to say that I don't think you can actually mute the sound of the dry track with the Mbox. I was trying to experiment briefly with tracking something for reamping. I split my guitar signal into a POD going into one input of an Mbox and then also my DI box into the other input. Nothing I did let me remove the sound of the dry DI track from my monitors and it just drove me nuts

Just out of curiousity, whats the difference if you have your track panned 100% left or right while recording? I mean, maybe I missed something seriously obvious and have just made myself into the town fool but I've never panned anything in pro-tools while tracking. Only after I'm done tracking 1-3 more guitars do I bother with setting the panning on them.

I just like panning while I'm recording. 2 tracks Left 100% and 80%, 2 tracks Right -100% and -80%.

Jus a preference so I don't have to mess with it later.

I almost willing to bet that you either:

A. Have the mix knob not fully to the right (so you can monitor 100% through software).
or
B. When you arm a track don't have it muted (so you can hear it direct).

True. Mix knob is not fully right. I can only hear the direct signal after I arm the track, so if I mute it, I'll hear nothing.

I'll try the putting the mix knob full right and see if that clears it up.