Double Tracking Bass?

chuckerii

New Metal Member
I'm new to the forum... there's some great discussions about producing going on here. I've been reading through the posts on double tracking (and quad tracking as well.) I've been playing and recording guitar for about 30 years now and earlier this year I finally decided to buy my first bass (Epi Goth Thunderbird). I'm curious if you guys also double track bass lines?

Chucker

It's a definite no-no. Unlike with guitars, you should copypaste a single bass performance if you wish to process two different tracks, such as clean low frequencies and distorted mid frequencies on the bass.

My experience would be Sansamp RBI + Audix i5 on a 8x10 Cab

Definitly worth the effort

edit: thought you meant something else, yeah.. doubling a performance on a bass guitar would be awkward

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been double tracking bass in the past when I play it on the keyboard via a sampler, but just got curious about with a real bass after reading the other threads about double tracking. It makes sense, because it is more of a solid element like drums, driving the track along.

Chucker

I thought you could pan 2 bass tracks in 20% L R
One clean and the other with a little drive...:err:

How record an overdriven bass sound such as Nightwish's Marco or In Flames?

Explain me what is this.

I took this Pro Tools screen from Studio Fredman.

Why is there 2 bass tracks (IN RED)? "BASAMP" and "BASLINE"
screen1.jpg

One of them is the miced up sound from the amp, the other is a line signal from a DI box. It's still the same performance.

Like you split the signal from the bass to two different sources.

Does anyone know how to setup two tracks of bass in Cubase 4? I have been trying to do this with my sansamp bass di, but haven't had any luck. I am trying to track one track using the output of the di and one track with the parallel output of the di (want to try Ampeg SVX on the parallel track)

If anyone knows how to do this in Cubase 4 I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi Chuckerii
Well there's no reason why you cant but its like anything , if its recorded badly its gonna sound so wrong , plus most of the time bass is recorded clean so there's less chance of distortion coming to the rescue and hiding the slightest timing errors.
If you want to give it a go I'd say go for it just so long as you post your results on here ;)

Unless you are like Tool, there's no real point in doing it ..

Tool do it because the Bass is tight with the guitars, and then a harmony part will be added by the bass ...