Double Tracking Screams?

Alexchapel

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2011
When you are double tracking screams (same phrase, screaming in the same style recorded twice. not like a high and a low, but a low and a low) what are some processing techniques you guys use?

Do you leave them the same volume and pan them very slightly out opposite directions, or leave them both in the center and have one a few db less than the other? Any other suggestions?

Always automating. Of course, everything depends on the band and the song, but if I've got loads of tracks I'll make some louder than others at some point, some at equal levels, sometimes making them wider, sometimes all in the center. It's all about keeping it interesting.

I treat scream vox the same way i do hip hop. I double track the vocal then use elastic audio in protools to align them them so they are perfect. Both panned center, equal volume. Should then sound like one voice, only tougher, lol.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Alex,

Assuming this is IRL Alex, you're using Logic.

Use Flex Time in monophonic and then figure out which is the tighter performance and massage the transients into place. I center pan and equal volume everything unless I am trying to use the dubbed vocal as an effect in which case I sometimes pan the vocals out which makes the slight differences much more apparent.

Put a plugin compressor on both tracks to tame them a bit and then send them to a bus (helps with organization) which has another compressor that is really regulating on the vocals so that whether you are playing one or both they are putting out the same perceived loudness. That way you can mute one or the other to really check the difference in takes and only effect "thickness" and not "loudness".

Pretty much the same thing here but I have a primary and secondary track. I select the take I like best and shift it to primary. The secondary normally rides between 3-10 db under depending how much comp they're hittin on the bus.

Pretty much the same thing here but I have a primary and secondary track. I select the take I like best and shift it to primary. The secondary normally rides between 3-10 db under depending how much comp they're hittin on the bus.

i do this too, subtle thickening. Having takes at the same volume just makes them louder

Also sometimes will distort the doubles to add extra body I really actually like steinbergs distortion for this but I have also used camel crusher, izotope thrash and waves 1176 all buttons driven really hard. too much can ruin the clarity though and make sibilants pop out.

I leave mine center, edit syllables by hand to line them up. As for comps 1176 Sim on the main usually and a DBX sim on the 2nd just to get a bit of different flavor.

What I do ^^ with a different comp. Has anyone ever tried using distortion/gain on one scream track and the other without? I imagine for highs it would sound good, but not for lows...